Author Topic: Yet another audio cable burn in service  (Read 4258 times)

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Yet another audio cable burn in service
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:43:52 am »
http://morrowaudio.com/services/breaking-in-your-cables-cable-direction-and-hookup-instructions-

I'm almost sold.......

I just haven't found the right site that states "once cables are hooked up, they are permanently polarized to that direction".

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Yet another audio cable burn in service
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:54:35 am »
Do they need to know whether a cable will be used in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:56:11 am by jfiresto »
-John

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:07 pm »
Do they need to know whether a cable will be used in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere?

That is a great question.

I am also curious to know if they've neutralized any remnants of previous electron flow through the conductor prior to making cables with it.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:11:42 pm »
The idiots need locking up.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 04:09:54 am »
Is that the POS? That sorry attempt at a telephone patch panel? :-DD Hope something shorts and burns down their office.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 10:27:30 am »
All the cables on the panel are hooked in series, which allows the full strength of the signal to pass through each cable.
What a corner cutting for such a high end product  :--
Someone should sue for false advertising, surely that's not how series connection works.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42:31 am »
I don't understand the purpose of this service. Everyone knows that cables have to be burnt in with the amplifier, speaker, floor, cable elevators, location, temperature, air pressure and music style they are going to be used with. Obviously they can't replicate that in a sterile shipping department.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 11:33:43 am »
Your amplifier has to be capable of producing "directed AC signal". Normal AC signal is not polarised and will not work well with directed cables.

Offline barbeque

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 04:17:41 am »

I am also curious to know if they've neutralized any remnants of previous electron flow through the conductor prior to making cables with it.

They need to rub a crystal along it to tame the spirits of the dinosaurs used to make the cable insulation.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 03:19:21 pm »
I don't understand the purpose of this service. Everyone knows that cables have to be burnt in with the amplifier, speaker, floor, cable elevators, location, temperature, air pressure and music style they are going to be used with. Obviously they can't replicate that in a sterile shipping department.

Exactly, if they run easy listening through the cables, it will sound horrible when I play my prog rock through them. And if they burned them in on prog, they would sound horrible if my friend used them to play his death metal.

I think there is opportunity here for a far more specific burn in service to do these guys one better and replicate the customer's environment as closely as possible - atmospheric chambers, multiple amp and speaker brands. There would need to be a survey filled out by the customer indicating their musical preferences and percentage of each genre listened to in order to play that exact mix through the cables during the burn-in process. Or better yet, multiple sets of cables, each one optimized towards a given musical genre, for the ultimate in no-compromise sonic quality!

Offline CaptCrash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:11 pm »
Or better yet, multiple sets of cables, each one optimized towards a given musical genre, for the ultimate in no-compromise sonic quality!

Of course you need a set of cables per music type, anything less would be barbaric.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 03:52:24 pm »

They need to rub a crystal along it to tame the spirits of the dinosaurs used to make the cable insulation.

That would be ineffective, mine are cotton and asbestos. >:D

If you make them angry, you get lung disease. >:D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:55:36 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:56:42 pm »
How do they compensate for the moving magnetic north pole? >:D

Offline Divvi

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:49 pm »
How do they compensate for the moving magnetic north pole? >:D

They recommend that you send it back every 6 months for recalibration!

Offline daedalux

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 02:27:35 am »
The most crazy overengineering for that purpose (speaker wire) I could find was to use 2.4mm2 PURE SILVER LITZ wire coated with teflon for that purpose. But that thing is "just" worth 70 sterling pounds plus vat per meter. You would have to tin the tips with something like a silver gold alloy for it to work well and keep coolness. But that is boring as it is approaching its weight in silver of value...

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 03:30:55 am »
FMD! Read the manual.

https://www.morrowaudio.com/pages/cable-owners-manual

People fall for this shit?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 04:14:49 am »
So out of curiosity. What is the burn in phenomenon actually from. I can somewhat understand speaker membranes stretching a little from factory fresh. And possibly amplifier electrolytic caps leakage settling. But what actually led to it being a thing.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 05:19:04 am »
So out of curiosity. What is the burn in phenomenon actually from. I can somewhat understand speaker membranes stretching a little from factory fresh. And possibly amplifier electrolytic caps leakage settling. But what actually led to it being a thing.

Caps should form properly in minutes, and speaker materials ought not to require any signal input to reach equilibrium - it's generally a result of the material "relaxing" after having been stretched or formed during manufacture.  Tubes are constantly degrading, so maybe there's a change in operating bias or characteristics after a time which is perceived as "burn-in."  This generally only happens in poorly-designed amps, though, because the bias should be stable almost indefinitely until the tube starts to fail.

E.g.: I own a pair of Magneplanars, which are among the few speakers that actually do require some "settling" time - the phenomenon is due to the Mylar diaphragm being mechanically stretched at several thousand psi during assembly and therefore the tension is slightly uneven across the edges.  It's a phenomenon called "creep" in the Mylar specification.  Whether you play music through them or not, they will even out after a few weeks and the resonant frequency will drop a bit.  If you don't damage or abuse them, they will not change further.

My feeling is that when you hook up a system which is unfamiliar (sometimes poorly matched to the room acoustics, or maybe you just moved the speakers or had it turned off long enough that you've lost any memory of the sonic characteristics) it takes a finite amount of time for you to accustom yourself to the change in sound.  It has the same effect as any putative "burn-in" but is purely psychological.  There's also expectation bias: if you plug in a new doodad which you're sure is going to change the sound, you will eventually convince yourself that it has improved the sound after a period of time.

Offline cjs

• Contributor
  • Software geek
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 07:32:46 am »
FMD! Read the manual.

https://www.morrowaudio.com/pages/cable-owners-manual

That's briliant! Several times I had to stop reading until I got my laughter under control.

There's a bit in the middle that has some true gems:

DIGITAL CABLES: Breaking in your digital cables in a position other than from transport to DAC will speed up the breakin process. IE, between a preamp and power amp. Digital signals are typically small and will take longer than usual.

ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT NEED NOT BE TURNED ON: All you need to do is to be sure that your cables are plugged in and the signal is flowing. The input impedance will allow the signal to flow....
Breaking in one pair of interconnects: CD Player (hooked up, on and playing) >>> Preamp (hooked up only, need not be turned on).

And did you know you also need to break in your power cables, too?

Come to think of it, if "larger" signals break in cables faster than "smaller" ones, maybe we should be breaking in the cables by putting them between our household AC outlets and a heater or air conditioner. I ought to try it and write in!

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 12:16:33 am »
WHY PATIENCE IS NECESSARY FOR THE CABLE BREAK-IN PROCESS: A Detailed Experience…
“Mike, about 4 weeks ago, I called you on a Saturday morning to inquire about some of your interconnects as I have a friend (Greg from Boston) who really likes your cables. Greg and I have been sharing various experiences with cables for over a year now. We both fell in different directions, ending up with different brands that neither of us have heard in our systems. For Greg, it was your cables, for me, it was something else.

I found this but I'd need a lot patience reading all that rubbish. So to them it is about "brands" not construction or anything scientific about the cables.

RETURNS AND TRADEUP CABLES:
RETURNS: Returns for a refund must be approved. Please go to the website returns page and follow the instructions given. Once approved, ship to: Returns, Morrow Audio, 6608 Dixie Hwy, Florence, KY 41042
TRADE-UP: No approval is needed. Ship your trade in cables to: Trade Up, Morrow Audio, 6608 Dixie Hwy, Florence, KY 41042

They offer returns.

The market for this must be big enough and the believers for them to offer returns.
Sometimes it makes me wonder whether they do have superior hearing.

On an older copy of their website I see they didn't make cables but supplied monoblocks and valves:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060321042837/http://www.audiosold.com/morrowaudio/products.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20060321042857/http://www.audiosold.com/morrowaudio/const.htm

It seems like in 2008 they went mad over cables:

Moron Audio MA1 Interconnect Pair...
https://web.archive.org/web/20081227082503/http://www.morrowaudio.com/ma1interconnect.htm

"They blow away everything I have, and I have some in the 1000's of dollars. Can I get another 1 mtr pair?"

RCA Version:
Regular Price: $198.00
SALE PRICE! $139.00
You save $59.00

XLR Balanced & XLR to RCA Versions:
Regular Price: $278.00
SALE PRICE! $195.00
You save $83.00

Those wires are tiny. I would like to see how they would burn up in the cable burn service.

Lifetime Abuse Warranty
If your cable ever breaks, for any reason, even abused, we will repair or replace your cable for free. If you trip over your cable, if your pet eats your cable, if your child takes scissors to your cable, if your cable gets tangled in a sweeper, etc, we will repair or replace it for free. You only pay the shipping. Warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable. Customer must provide purchase receipt with the returned cable.

For them to offer generous warranties goes to show that it doesn't cost them much.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:44:39 am by MrMobodies »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 03:08:39 am »
Shame, those look like they were really nice amps (bit expensive, but stuff like that is often considered "luxury" ::) ), now they've gone full audiofool. :--

Those interconnect cables might as well be used as fuse wire. :wtf: I don't see them surviving more than a few watts. Either that or they'd just snap under normal use, they can't be held in by more than the solder joints. :palm:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 05:46:09 pm »
 Those interconnects look like something I cobbled up when I was a kid and wanted to set up a multi speaker setup in the yard t scare kids for Halloween. I had some connectors of the right type but no suitable wire, so I just ran whatever thin wire I had, and indeed it was held in just by the solder joints to the connectors. I think one of them I wrapped a ton of electrical tape around to build the diameter up enough that the strain relief on the connector had something to actually grab, but I ran out of either time or tape so the rest got the quick solder treatment. Only had to last one night so I wasn't too worried.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 07:35:22 pm »
I need to burn-in traces on the pcb of my power supply, who should I contact?

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 10:24:24 pm »
In order for cables to properly “BURN-IN” shouldn’t flame be involved in the process?   :-//
To properly achieve true burn-in it requires a trip to a sacred volcano and sacrifice of at least 50% virgin cable to the fire gods.  :scared:

Offline cjs

• Contributor
  • Software geek
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
In order for cables to properly “BURN-IN” shouldn’t flame be involved in the process?   :-//

Ok. Now I want to see Big Clive "burn in" a cable....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf