Author Topic: Editing footprint solder mask in Eagle  (Read 15464 times)

Offline kikibTopic starter

• Contributor
Editing footprint solder mask in Eagle
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:38 pm »
Hi all, I'm new to Eagle CAD and still learning a lot. I really like its advanced high-speed features (differential pair routing, length matching, miter etc) which are great for complex designs.  ^-^

I'm trying to create a footprint with custom solder mask and paste mask. Basically it's a 1mm diameter fiducial mark that has a 3mm dia. solder mask and likewise a 3mm dia. paste mask.

Do I somehow edit the default ones or is it done another way?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:09:18 pm by kikib »

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
Re: Editing footprint solder mask in Eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:19 am »
You can do it both ways, tstop or bstop (top or bottom) are your soldermask pullback layers. If you were planning on using this pad on a lot of boards, I would suggest making a custom library for it.

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:45:01 am »
I have made a custom library for it. In the library I am editing the 'package' (name for footprint in Eagle) which is where I am trying to edit the solder and paste mask of the fiducial.

I can't see how to adjust the default masks in there. Am I supposed to just draw a circle around the default masks to effectively extend the masks?

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:31:51 am »
To get a solid tstop pad, draw your circle, but at a width of zero. Should show you a solid circle :)
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »
Yep that circle trick does the job perfectly, thanks a lot!

Every day I learn something new in Eagle. :)

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »
When you draw a surface mount pad in a custom Eagle library package, it has a solder paste stencil aperture (aka "cream" layer) and a solder mask aperture (aka "stop" layer) automatically generated with it.

I think these can dynamically change when the component is in your board layout, based on DRC settings.

To turn off the "automatic" generation of these layers, change the "Cream" and/or "Stop" properties of that copper pad in the package, and turn them from "on" to "off". Now you've got just a copper pad, no soldermask or paste layer. Now you can use the draw-rectangle tool, on either the stop layer or cream layer, to manually draw a fixed rectangle around the pad for that layer, with exactly the customised dimensions that you control.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf