Author Topic: Eagle 7.7.0 pro no longer starts under Win10??  (Read 5327 times)

Offline woodyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Eagle 7.7.0 pro no longer starts under Win10??
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:04:30 am »
Yesterday I wanted to take a look at one of my older designs so I started Eagle for the first time in a couple of months.

After starting I got the window that informed me that I needed to point to my license file and enter the installation code. No sweat, that happened a couple of times before in the 20 years I use it, so I fed my license file and code. I then got an error, informing me that the license file could not be read. Strange. Retried the same as administrator and now it was happy.

Only, when I then started Eagle I got a white window and nothing else. If I wait long enough (5 minutes or so) I am informed that Eagle has stopped working and the window disappears.

So I removed the program completely and reinstalled it from scratch. Same story, installing works, licensing works, but Eagle refuses to do anything other than give me a white window.

I then tried an older version that was still installed on the same PC (7.6.0). The same initial problem with the license file, the same effect after re-licensing. A white window and nothing else.

So I wonder, did a Win10 update in the last months cripple Eagle? Anybody else experience the same thing?

And now what? I decided last year not to hop on the Eagle SAAS train and use Kicad for new designs but part of that strategy is that I can still get to my older designs with my last paid-for version of Eagle. This now turns out not to work.

Boy do I hate Windows auto-f**king-update wrecking my software on my PC and this whole Eagle subscription based software thing. >:(

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Eagle 7.7.0 pro no longer starts under Win10??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
Hmm, I have not read anything about general compatibility issues between EAGLE 7.x and Windows 10. Personally I'm using EAGLE 7.6.0 (Make edition) under Windows 10, 64 bit and have not encountered any problems. The most recent Windows update on my system is dated Feb 18th.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 11:48:26 am »
I'm not sure because we don't use windows here, but if I remember well, Eagle doesn't adhere to the "windows' way" of installing programs.
Program executables should be installed in "Program Files" and program data should be installed in a separate directory.
Also, Eagle wants to have write acces to the installation directory every time you start it. Something that windows isn't too happy about.
Try to uninstall Eagle and install it again in your personal "Documents" directory where you have always read/write access.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:21:29 pm »
Thanks for your reaction. Thing is that Eagle was always installed in c:\Program Files\EAGLE x.y.z on my PC. It suddenly stopped working (or, more precise, refused to start).

But maybe you're right and some access right changed after an update. Will try!

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:17 pm »
I believe Eagle installs to C:\EAGLE-7.7.0, but also stores things locally <AppData>\Local\eagle and <AppData>\Roaming\eagle, as well as registry.

One thing you could try if you are not happy removing things from the registry and appdata, is to create another user account and try running EAGLE from that.

The following users thanked this post: woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 02:21:15 pm »
Brilliant!

Couln't find <AppData>\Local\eagle but there is an <AppData>Roaming\CadSoft\EAGLE directory. In it was an eaglerc.usr file, dated yesterday. The first line in this file says

# EAGLE Parameter File (generated by EAGLE Version 7.7.0 - DO NOT EDIT!)

so I threw it out altogether.

Tried again and lo and behold, Eagle started! Upon exiting a new eaglerc.usr was created.

Still have no clue what was changed by whom in that file to upset Eagle, but hey, it works again.

Thanks for putting me in the right direction  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:23:15 pm by woody »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 02:46:34 pm »
Maybe check this folder:
Code: [Select]
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:29:36 pm »
I had a trial of EAGLE 8. something installed, probably why I saw "eagle" and presumed it was for 7, but yes, there is a Cadsoft folder for the older versions.

I've had it before, I think something gets corrupted and it throws it's toys out and refuses to work, uninstalling doesn't remove the preferences either.

Glad it worked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf