Author Topic: Eagle 8.0 features - worth it?  (Read 5449 times)

Online ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Eagle 8.0 features - worth it?
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:55:52 am »
I may have overlooked this in the longish thread about the new subscription model: Has anybody actually tried the new features? How do you like the interactive routing improvements; how do they compare e.g. with KiCAD's push-and-shove routing?

Personally, I am using version 7.6 (Make license) right now. I am inclined to ignore Autodesk's 50% discount offer and wait a year or so, to see whether Autodesk comes up with continued, significant improvements. If they do, I am OK with switching to the subscription model -- active software development has to be paid for. Otherwise, I will stay on 7.6 a bit longer, while starting to migrate to KiCAD or such.

The following users thanked this post: Tom10000

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
Re: Eagle 8.0 features - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:28:38 pm »
Hi ebastler,

I hope you're doing well. Push and shove is not in EAGLE yet, but will be soon it's one of the highest priority items on our todo list. The new routing improvements form a foundation for push and shove so in subsequent releases you'll slowly start to see that functionality coming in.

Of the new features, my personal favorites are the routing engine and the new selections tools. Designblocks are pretty cool as well.

It should be a an interesting year as new features are added, old ones finished or improved and people observe how this plays out.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »
No new feature is worth a subscription model IMO. If you're willing to go with subscription you could check out one of the big boys like Altium or OrCAD. For hobbyist use either stay with the version of Eagle you have or consider transitioning over to KiCad. Latest version of that does have push and shove routing, and it's free with no need to license at all.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:11:15 am »
Subscription is just a euphemism for renting software. The rapid releases are an excuse to eliminate QA, dump most of the documentation and just keep fiddling with the code fixing one thing and breaking something else. Everyone is trying to go to the rental model because they have realized that for 95% of users even a 10 year old version of software will work just fine. I suspect it's the software companies themselves spreading all the FUD about older versions being insecure. All that hoopla over the XP apocalypse and XP is still in close to 10% of PCs worldwide, that's hundreds of millions of computers and there hasn't been a giant catastrophe. Of all the spyware/crapware/virus infestations I've cleaned up I cannot think of a single one that was caused by an exploit, it was always the user installing something sketchy.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:53 pm »
Gentlmen, a ton of posts regarding the subscription model is already here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eagle/the-autodesk-eagle-edition/

Could we discuss new features in Eagle in this thread, please ?  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:22:51 pm by Warhawk »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Tom10000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:44:58 pm »
Could we discuss new features in Eagle in this thread, please ?  :D

Thanks Warhawk. Maybe I have myself to blame for the direction this thread took, having included the second paragraph in my original post...

Anyway, I am honestly interested in how people like the new features. (But can't seem to find the time to install and play with a trial version myself.) If Autodesk wants to convince users to move to the subscription model, I think they need to impress us with new functionality and demonstrate that the regular payments will also translate into regular, relevant new development. I hope they are off to a convincing start with V8. Any first-hand experience from early adopters is much appreciated!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:11:36 pm »
Oops, sorry, I have a tendency to go off on tangents. I'll try to avoid that.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »
Maybe we can avoid here any discussion on the subscription, and concentrate on the new features.

Iha ve just installed rapidly the new version 8.0  (free edition) and  although I was getting  familiar to the group
selecting process of Eagle, I find that the new way is much more friendly as it is the same as on any other software.

Offline richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 11:52:25 am »
I have downloaded a new version of Eagle and really happy with it. The performance is improved and its more easy to use.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »
I have downloaded a new version of Eagle and really happy with it. The performance is improved and its more easy to use.

Hey, Is new eagle released? When it will?

Hi Richard,

Frankly, I am a bit confused -- are we talking about the same Eagle version here? You mention that you have downloaded and tested the new Eagle version, and then -- two minutes later -- express your surprise about the existence of a new version in the other thread?!

Did you really download and test Eagle 8.0? What new functionality did you try?

Thanks for clarifying!
Jürgen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf