Author Topic: Eagle 9 - any thoughts?  (Read 40042 times)

Offline timgilesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
Eagle 9 - any thoughts?
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:06:53 am »
Hi all,

Not had a chance to download and update my Eagle to version 9 - anyone tried the new features?

Regards Timothy

Offline Aztlanpz

• Regular Contributor
Re: Eagle 9 - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:17 am »
I download it but have not used it.

Offline Feynman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 06:50:13 pm »
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/eagle-version-9-is-here-nothing-short-of-awesome/td-p/7940181

A little too much "amazing", "cool" and "awesome" for my bullshit radar :D

The following users thanked this post: rx8pilot

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:06:30 pm »
I am scheduled to try it out next week.

Most interested in the differential routing claims. The Eagle team is clearly putting in a lot of effort. Perhaps it will soon cross over into professional system.
I am already LOVING the ability to pass the data back and forth with Fusion360. For that reason, I bailed on Solidworks after 20+ years.

They are going in a good direction.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:59:23 pm »
The new features, and particularly quickroute and the design manager, are really good useful additions.

Not sure if I'll ever use Eagle again though, I might miss it a bit more now.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 08:42:38 am »
The improvements and new features of Eagle over the past year are impressive compared to the very slow evolution before Autodesk took over.

I  have been steadily using Eagle despite its shortcomings. I will certainly continue with the new version and wonder what will be the evolution  in the coming year.

In the  version 9.  the new routing  options are particularly nice.

I should say nevertheless that I am using only the free version, as I am not  restrained with the limited area for my hobby boards. 

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:12 am »
Do i read this right ? Are they seriosly asking the customers for a subscription ?  :wtf:

Offline bgm

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 12:16:13 pm »
Do i read this right ? Are they seriosly asking the customers for a subscription ?  :wtf:

Yes they are, and this is not new - they did it when they transitioned from 7.x to 8.x.  I had plenty to say when they did it then.  No matter how good it may become, the very *method* of their subscription enforcement now makes it an unworkable product for what I personally do. 

Dave did a video on this at the time. 
/BGM
"Forward to the past!"

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 12:51:44 pm »

Yes they are, and this is not new - they did it when they transitioned from 7.x to 8.x.  I had plenty to say when they did it then.  No matter how good it may become, the very *method* of their subscription enforcement now makes it an unworkable product for what I personally do. 

Dave did a video on this at the time.

This is more affirmation that the subscription method is killing the product, everyone seems to get it except Autodesk! I mean, don't they notice the few people who buy it vs what they expected?!

It seems like a money laundry product  :-DD

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »
My Eagle computer has been disconnected from the internet for quite a while. Still works fine. All my files are local, but not on the workstation.

The subscription concept is one of the bigger reasons I am still using Eagle. I was able to bundle Fusion360 and Eagle to replace Solidworks, Mastercam, and an older version of Eagle.

I was gearing up to finance a big number and still have huge annual maintenance costs out of pocket. My guess is that Autodesk is gaining more ground than they are losing. Some have totally legitimate reasons for not doing subscription, some are just emotional.

Me..... I like the cash flow improvement and I like Fusion360 better than Solidworks and Mastercam.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:57:23 pm »
I am scheduled to try it out next week.

Most interested in the differential routing claims. The Eagle team is clearly putting in a lot of effort. Perhaps it will soon cross over into professional system.
I am already LOVING the ability to pass the data back and forth with Fusion360. For that reason, I bailed on Solidworks after 20+ years.

They are going in a good direction.
Note that Solidworks now also offers integration with what basically is CS.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 04:28:34 pm »
Interesting for sure. A little late for me, but they clearly see the need.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 04:34:28 pm »

Yes, and they flat out lied about their intent. Stating there were no plans to go subscription mere weeks before doing exactly that. They're either liars or grossly incompetent, who can trust them?

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 05:04:26 pm »
I knew that eagle went on subscription. I was just suprised that it looks like(at least it looks to me) they are begging for subscribers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 05:09:09 pm »
"We extended the 14-day offline limit to 30 days to ensure you aren’t stuck in a dark corner of the globe, cursing the EAGLE development team.  :)"

Getting the point without getting it.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:20 pm »
The improvements and new features of Eagle over the past year are impressive compared to the very slow evolution before Autodesk took over.
Either Cadsoft had a really small team, or Autodesk is releasing minimum viable code.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 05:19:13 pm »

Also, bugs, instabilities and incompatibilities have skyrocketed since V8. Guess that's the price you pay for fast development.
They now also broke their ULP's (User Language Programming), a very powerful scripting language using C syntax.
But hey, they promised that they will replace it with something "better" in the future...

Even if they should drop the subcription only option, I'm not sure if want to "upgrade" after seeing all the troubles on their forum.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:54:14 pm by Karel »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 07:18:31 pm »
Having worked in software, I can say that's the direction much of the industry has gone, much to my dismay. Ship the minimum viable product, add features and fix all the bugs "later", shifting the QA task over to the customer. Everything is in a constant state of flux, changes go live with minimal testing, new bugs are introduced on a constant basis, as a customer it sucks.

Of course I can see why the industry has gone this directly, with software and hardware having reached a plateau software companies were fast running out of ways to entice people into upgrading to the latest version. When a person can not too unreasonably upgrade PCs and software on a 10 year cycle now rather than the 1-2 year cycle of the past it's easy to see why software companies have been in a panic trying to find a way to keep extracting money from customers. With that of course they have to find a way to spin it such that it can be portrayed as an advantage to the customer. FUD about security and overly hyped new features nobody asked for abound.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 08:06:15 pm »
They now also broke their ULP's (User Language Programming), a very powerful scripting language using C syntax.

What do you mean broke their ULP's? I write ULP's for various things all the time and nothing seems broken to me??

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 09:26:28 pm »

What do you mean broke their ULP's? I write ULP's for various things all the time and nothing seems broken to me??

Best Regards,

Rachael

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/some-custom-ulps-do-not-work-anymore-after-installing-version-8/td-p/7626803

It seems to be resolved for now.

Can't imagine the fun if you get hit with something like that and you need to meet a deadline....

Don't get me wrong, most software show bugs now and then, also Eagle V7.
But the number of weird bugs since V8 is quiet shocking. It's like they didn't even bother to test it.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 09:57:31 pm »
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/some-custom-ulps-do-not-work-anymore-after-installing-version-8/td-p/7626803

It seems to be resolved for now.

Can't imagine the fun if you get hit with something like that and you need to meet a deadline....

Don't get me wrong, most software show bugs now and then, also Eagle V7.
But the number of weird bugs since V8 is quiet shocking. It's like they didn't even bother to test it.

The 'technical debt' in the EAGLE code base has to be truly staggering.  Rest assured, there is a reason why CadSoft wasn't implementing these fancy new features at a pace that their users were happy with.  They were probably scared to touch the code in question, likely with some justification.  Been there/done that, unfortunately. :(

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:50 pm »

Yeah that was ages ago and it wasn’t ULP broken it was passing the part involved in a right click context menu custom entry to ULP as a group so you could access it with ingroup(). It was a minor issue which they fixed almost immediately.

How about looking instead at all the positive things they’ve done? Fusion360 integration, SPICE built right in to the schematic editor, Live DRC, Push and Shove, Manufacturing preview, in v9 the design manager makes a huge difference, the new rip up modes in the rip tool make it much more powerful, in the schematic the new bus functionality and the component breakout features make working with busses much more slick. I had a ULP previously to do proper bus management but the new built in feature does away with that. There’s an awful lot of really positive things happening to EAGLE if you take the time to look. Yes there are bugs, and yes there have been stability issues but they tend to fix most of them quite quickly when they are found in the minor number point releases which are bug fix only releases.

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline ReneK

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 10:57:55 pm »
How about looking instead at all the positive things they’ve done?
The one negative thing they've done (subscription) paired with the lack of software-stability after telling lies has so much weight, that this is not an option.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 11:03:25 pm »

Also, bugs, instabilities and incompatibilities have skyrocketed since V8. Guess that's the price you pay for fast development.

I have not run into any serious bugs and the ULP's work just fine.
Are you willing to be specific or just spreading rumors?

How about looking instead at all the positive things they’ve done?
The one negative thing they've done (subscription) paired with the lack of software-stability after telling lies has so much weight, that this is not an option.

What stability issues are you referring to? I have not had any stability issues at all. Keep in mind, I am a user that is quite critical of Eagle. I am, however, giving them some credit for pushing the system in a positive direction overall.

As for the subscription model - I have not heard many arguments that I interpret as reasonable. I can see it being a problem in some cases for sure, but the loudest and most critical seem to be arguing from a position of emotions.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 01:00:09 am »
I don't rent software, period, there are other arguments but this is the only one I need. Since I'm the potential customer I'm the one who gets to call those shots, otherwise I go elsewhere, which is what I've done.

The following users thanked this post: macegr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf