Author Topic: Eagle 9 - any thoughts?  (Read 40043 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Eagle 9 - any thoughts?
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2018, 06:48:38 pm »
Does anyone know a good Eagle compatible board viewer? Some people unfortunately only share Eagle files. Is the old non subscription version still around somewhere?

Here it is: ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program/7.7/

Works without a licence with limited options but can also be used as a viewer
for bigger designs made with the professional/ultimate version.
Thanks, I found that one too. Installation was quick and painless, but if KiCad also opens files I think I'll ditch Eagle altogether.

It surprises me that even with the schematic and board layout it's surprisingly hard to figure out which part is what on an Arduino, as they very kindly omit any kind of silkscreen markings or a readily available corresponding BOM.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2018, 06:56:27 pm »
It surprises me that even with the schematic and board layout it's surprisingly hard to figure out which part is what on an Arduino, as they very kindly omit any kind of silkscreen markings or a readily available corresponding BOM.

Arduino is amateurish from end to end, however it does deserve credit for giving a huge boost to hobby electronics. I just wish something a bit more polished had caught on instead.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2018, 07:23:58 pm »
Arduino is amateurish from end to end, however it does deserve credit for giving a huge boost to hobby electronics. I just wish something a bit more polished had caught on instead.

Well, I think this is a typical case of a successful project.
Yes the product itself is imperfect and rather clunky. But the execution was well done from start to end. Execution is 90% of what makes a project succeed.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2018, 07:41:36 pm »
Well, I think this is a typical case of a successful project.
Yes the product itself is imperfect and rather clunky. But the execution was well done from start to end. Execution is 90% of what makes a project succeed.
Not being able to tell from the available documentation what part you're looking at on the board seems to be a missed opportunity, other than that it's imprinting the importance of doing it right.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2018, 02:54:59 am »
The misalignment of the shield pins is a serious oversight that should have been fixed at the very first opportunity. The biggest issue I have is that the IDE is utter garbage and has not really improved much. Then there is the fact that changes have been made at times that break existing code, unacceptable for something targeted at beginners. I put up with these glaring faults because there is such a huge collection of useful libraries making it easy to get all manner of widgets working with minimal effort. I mostly use the Nano clones so the PCB issues with the fullsized Arduino are not a big deal to me.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2018, 11:53:08 am »

99% of "products" for various markets I have come across are horrific inside, I honestly don't know how they get "passed EMC" on some  :popcorn:

They all work as intended, but it seems that poor work is accepted because those buying do not know any different.  Or care.

Offline Sylvi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2018, 06:25:21 am »
Hi Guys

I got Eagle back in 2006 and did upgrade it to 4.16r2 which is what I still use every day. That was the Pro version with massive everything.

In 2012 I got 6.3 but never really used it until a year or so ago when I was having troubles with a new board house not being able to read the files properly. I got version 7? after and that was no different. It turned out the problem was not related to Eagle so I reverted back to my trusty 4.16r2.

I lay out audio boards mostly, and some switching circuitry for that, but nothing CPU-based, just CMOS gates and such like.

I NEVER use the auto-router as it does connects all the easy paths as directly as possible and leaves you with "toughies", and otherwise makes a mess of audio grounding and power feed.

There are tiny bugs in the software that are just a nuisance and easy to work around.

The most important thing is to SAVE FREQUENTLY.

I saw the subscription thing recently and have to laugh. It is too sickening and depressing to do anything but laugh. A poster mentioned "the cash flow improvement" but that is the flow INTO Autodesk's pocket from yours. It seems like any industry that uses software wants you to pay for use: Microsoft wants a subscription for their office suite - you can't just buy it; streaming movies from Netflix et al - they don't want you to buy it and neither does Hollywood or RIAA really - pay a royalty every time you watch the same movie - you actually pay an RIAA royalty on every data disc you buy - not just for the audio-only discs with that are $4 each! - games are buy subscription - radio is by subscription... it's endless.

I paid for Eagle one-time and have my licence to use it. I do so on an off-line computer. Anyone working on proprietery designs - or even just ones important to yourself - should not be doing this on a box tied to the internet. It is so inexpensive to have true security simply by buying a second computer, and then you do not have to rely on "security" built into the software. MS made a mess of their OS by making "security" so tight at one point that to open a file would crash the system.

Anyway, original Eagle was kind of quirky and does what it's supposed to do. I lay out my chassis in it and make libraries of the significant component outlines that influence the chassis space in two different views. Since drafting is something I like, I don't mind doing this and having 2D views to check for fouling conditions and such like, since you can do this as separate boards, or on other layers of the board editor. There is always a work-around and all of life is an improvisation.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2018, 08:52:59 am »
In 2012 I got 6.3 but never really used it until a year or so ago when I was having troubles with a new board house not being able to read the files properly. I got version 7? after and that was no different. It turned out the problem was not related to Eagle so I reverted back to my trusty 4.16r2.

If you have bought a license for V7, I recommend you to use that instead of V4.
V7.70 has many improvements over V4.16r2.

You can download it here: ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program/7.7/

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf