Author Topic: Eagle and multiple project versions  (Read 6806 times)

Offline conducteurTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Eagle and multiple project versions
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »
I have a nice project made in Eagle (the uplc) and i want to make v2.0. I don't want to change everything, and want to reuse version 1 to do the improvements i want... How do you start a new project in eagle based on an existing schematic and board design?

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
Re: Eagle and multiple project versions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »
Hi,
I don't know if there is the "right" way to do that in EAGLE. But I simply duplicate the project in the projects folder and rename it. On my PC the folder is at "USER/AppData/eagle/ . . .". Or look at your EAGLE control panel to find the folder.

Edit:
You can simply copy your project in the control panel. Right click your project and select copy

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:04:55 pm by 128er »

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:12:38 am »
I usually open the original version and do "save as" to save a new copy.
Since the files are now text, you can also consider using your favorite SCCS (RCS, CVS, SVN, Git, Mercurial, whatever.)  But if you're going to make substantial changes and still want V1 around as well, that doesn't seem a good match.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:23:26 am »
So many people so many different ways to do it  :)
I make a new project in the correct place with the eagle GUI, so it creates an empty directory in the right place for me.
I open and then close this project.
Then I copy the old schematic *.sch and board *.sch file from the old project directory in to this new project directory, rename the filenames with F2 under windows to the new project name (if applicable).
Go back to the eagle GUI and open the project, the schematic and board should now be visible and can be opened/edited/saved etc.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:50:38 am »
FWIW, perforce has a 20 users free version of their source control for non commercial use.

It's not integrated with eagle but you can check out all the files, make changes, revert unchanged files and submit. You can label the changes and you can always get any version you want. GIT should be able to do all that as well as other version control software.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:16 am »
Ah; yeah, I tend to keep multiple versions under a single "project"
Actually, I'm pretty bad about using the "project" concept as intended; it's sorta just a directory with some "last file edited" data.
Unlike some environments, there isn't much context to an Eagle design beyond the .sch and .brd file, so you can copy/rename/move those around all you want, any way you want.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:03 pm »
Ah; yeah, I tend to keep multiple versions under a single "project"
Actually, I'm pretty bad about using the "project" concept as intended; it's sorta just a directory with some "last file edited" data.
Unlike some environments, there isn't much context to an Eagle design beyond the .sch and .brd file, so you can copy/rename/move those around all you want, any way you want.

Ouch!  :) .......much better to create a master project folder then loads of subfolders to store your different versions. I usually create my subfolders using Windows File Explorer, rename the files as required and then boot up Eagle.

As said though....there are many ways to use Eagle. And, have to say I am not a fan of version control/GIT for a small amount of files....more hassle than it's worth.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »
git checkout -b v2
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf