Author Topic: EAGLE - converting polygon to a line?  (Read 5597 times)

Offline RicoElectricoTopic starter

• Contributor
EAGLE - converting polygon to a line?
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:17:47 am »
So, I designed a nice PCB outline in Inkscape, namely a hyper-ellipse using built-in function plotter. There is a script, svg2poly.ulp that allows to import a SVG path as a polygon to Eagle. I import it to the Dimension layer. Is there a way to convert a polygon to a line? Does the Dimension layer require lines, not polygons?
Another unrelated question: I will send Gerber files to the board factory. Are there practical limitations on the number of vertices in polygons or lines? My design uses ~100 vertices.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: EAGLE - converting polygon to a line?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:03 pm »
Does the Dimension layer require lines, not polygons?
That's a good question.  It may be pcb-shop dependent.  Probably, though; polygons apparently are fillled, by definition, and result in a gerber containing essentially a bunch of raster lines.

There is a script, svg2poly.ulp that allows to import a SVG path as a polygon to Eagle. I import it to the Dimension layer. Is there a way to convert a polygon to a line?
Probably.  But it's probably easier to modify the svg2poly script to produce lines in the first place.  It shouldn't be too much more difficult than replacing a piece of text command that says "poly" with "wire"...

Offline RicoElectricoTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:51 pm »
You bet it'd be that easy. I replaced all the "poly" with "wire", but the result behaves in a very weird way - I can't change its layer or thickness. For this prototype, I relented and made simple rounded corners.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:29:51 pm »
Well, if it's not a polygon, you'd have to change the thickness/layer one wire segment at a time (or use GROUP.)
Is that what you're running in to?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf