Author Topic: Eagle is beautiful software  (Read 38797 times)

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Eagle is beautiful software
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2015, 08:55:22 pm »
If you don't like it, don't use it, simples.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »
It is not entirely that simple. Once you have invested the time to learn the software and create a workable library - change is tough. I have been researching Altium Designer as a step up from Eagle. The purchase price of about $9k is not small, but it is also only half the battle. The learning curve and getting all my parts in and verified will likely cost me more than $9k all by itself.

Eagle is not my favorite at all, but simply not using it is not an option. I am stuck until I have both time and money to change.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2015, 09:37:28 pm »
Once you have invested the time to learn the software and create a workable library - change is tough.

One reason why I am hoping the developer of DEX AutoTrax can see  the light eventually and make some necessary mods to his software which will bring about a killer app. Right now it imports Eagle libraries very nicely. However...........!

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2015, 10:31:40 am »
Everyone has options, Diptrace, KiCad, DesignSpark, you just choose not to use them, whether it be for learning curve purposes or whatever.

Everyone keeps banging on about how Element 14 are dropping Eagle because of Circuit Studio or whatever they are calling it now, it's still 3 - 4 x more expensive than the professional Eagle version.  And to be honest, even if they stopped development of Eagle today I would bet that people would still be using the latest version (7.3 at the time of writing) in 20 - 30 years' time.

You have obviously got your reasons for moving away, but it seems to have served you well in the interim, and if you hated it you wouldn't use it, it might not be your favourite, but it gets the job done, and once you have spent time learning how it works, it works well.

It's not the only package with features missing or bugs, and people are still making open source hardware projects with it and producing a lot of content with Eagle, so it can't be that bad!

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 04:16:10 pm »
  And to be honest, even if they stopped development of Eagle today I would bet that people would still be using the latest version (7.3 at the time of writing) in 20 - 30 years' time.

That's true -- there are people still clinging to their copies of OrCAD 386+!

Offline Bebo Connon

• !
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2015, 07:30:50 am »
usually, I also use Eagle for my PCB design. can not say good or bad, I think that it is enough if it can reach design requirements.

Here shows a good video shows about the PCB LAYOUT, made by eevblog. quite good to learn from it.

Offline TinkeringSteve

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2015, 02:31:43 am »
EAGLE = Ergonomical Aberration, Gonna Loathe Enormously

"Beautiful", well, it's about as beautiful as the spice shelf Homer built for Marge.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2015, 03:58:19 am »
It reminds me of the days of Borland shit software...

I remember that. Actually, it's the same shit that is still being used to write altium designer.
It's one of the reasons that it's so bloated and buggy.

Altium is written in Borland/Delphi????   :-DD

If so, what a bunch of buffoons.

They moved 99% of the code over to C many years ago (not sure which C variant). I think there's only a few small modules still in delphi if any now.
Back when Altium was simple and elegant and it was all Delphi. The bloated and buggyness only came after.
So you really shouldn't be dissing Delphi. Any language can produce good or bad code, its all up to the programmer.

Most of the Visual studio IDE was written by the engineers that wrote Delphi. Ages ago there was a Borland <--> Microsoft developer exchange (or employee poaching depending on who you ask).  Microsoft got Borland IDE programmers to help create their new IDE and Borland got MS developers to add .net into Delphi.

Delphi is still very much alive under the Embarcadero company, and they are doing some pretty interesting stuff with cross platform development. One source that compiles and runs natively under Win32, OS X, Android and iOS
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:17:30 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2015, 08:13:39 am »
DipTrace is still developed in Delphi. Actually they switched from Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4 in early 2014, so chances are low they will ever port it to C++ or whatever.
It seems like an odd choice, but around the year 2k when they started, Delphi was still somewhat strong since a lot of programmers used Turbo Pascal in the 90s.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf