Author Topic: EAGLE V7  (Read 37810 times)

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EAGLE V7
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 03:43:21 pm »

Not true. Microsoft aborts their OS and IE product completely after some years...

Seriously? the standard for Microsoft free updates support cycle is 10 years. Windows XP was extended and was in full support for more than 12 years. After that only critical updates will be released.

Windows 7 should be good until 2019!
The only reason the support cycles are so large is because many of their fortune 5000+ customers refused to migrate.  Their bread and butter said keep supporting what we want or we choose a different system. 

XP support was stopped over three times.  The three stricken your out cause 2 that I know of to switch.  BTW it is unlikely that Microsoft learned anything from the venture.  Their expressed 3 year promo, 2 year migration cycle is likely still there behind the scenes. 

If you are part of a Fortune 5000+ company just ask your it department why XP has been around so long. 

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 03:54:37 pm »
The only reason the support cycles are so large is because many of their fortune 5000+ customers refused to migrate.  Their bread and butter said keep supporting what we want or we choose a different system. 

XP support was stopped over three times.  The three stricken your out cause 2 that I know of to switch.  BTW it is unlikely that Microsoft learned anything from the venture.  Their expressed 3 year promo, 2 year migration cycle is likely still there behind the scenes. 

If you are part of a Fortune 5000+ company just ask your it department why XP has been around so long.

My point was that MS support cycles are exceptionally long, seriously 10 years is a long time for a piece of software. And we are talking versions, it's not like the completely drop the product, likely by the time a support cycle ends there are at least 2 newer and more or less compatible versions available. And you can still continue to use the old version, you will just no longer receive frequent free updates.

If you have a full Technet subscription you can still get all the software they have released back to around Windows 3.1

Anyway sorry for derailing the Eagle V7 thread .

Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »

My point was that MS support cycles are exceptionally long, seriously 10 years is a long time for a piece of software. And we are talking versions, it's not like the completely drop the product, likely by the time a support cycle ends there are at least 2 newer and more or less compatible versions available. And you can still continue to use the old version, you will just no longer receive frequent free updates.

If you have a full Technet subscription you can still get all the software they have released back to around Windows 3.1

Anyway sorry for derailing the Eagle V7 thread .

Learn your history a little better, if you want to get out of your little bubble of reality.  If not just ignore everything I shared.   

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »
Learn your history a little better, if you want to get out of your little bubble of reality.  If not just ignore everything I shared.

Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to, can you clarify?

I have been a senior lead SDE at MS for many years and also during the whole Vista, extension of XP support, Win7 release, perhaps you have some knowledge I'm not aware of?

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »
I have been a systems analyst since 1984.  I have retired but still have many friends very high up in IT departments ,Government and Fortune 5000+.  This is where I get my information. 

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2014, 05:13:08 pm »
I have been a systems analyst since 1984.  I have retired but still have many friends very high up in IT departments ,Government and Fortune 5000+.  This is where I get my information.

Perhaps we should just be adults, as we clearly both are, leave it here, and let people discuss the Eagle V7 update features, policies and pricing :)

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2014, 05:20:31 pm »
Wow,

My point was there is no Windows 6.0.0.1.2.0.2.2 etc, there is Windows 6.0 / 6.1 SP1, SP2, SP3 etc and so on.

Anyway, getting back on track...

I can't see the reason for 6.0 -> 7.0, the added "features" i.e. improved AR, hierarchy etc should have been 6.1 in my opinion.
6.0 should have stayed as 6.0 for minor tweaks and bug fixes with a revision or SP or something, they could have jumped major versions for something a bit more applausable like push n shove, 3D integration, new IDE etc etc, and kept minor for adding things like hierarchy etc.

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
US pro edition upgrade price:

Serial number ... V6.0
License period: Unlimited
Net price: USD 549.00

Has anyone upgraded?  How's the new UI?  Have they made grouping less tedious?  Can I have multiple files open at once?

If you still need a mess of ULPs to paper over all the obvious missing schematic and layout features, and part selection is still 1/4 regexes and 3/4 luck, then I'm definitely going to stick with 6.5...

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 08:17:54 pm »
Best thing to do is download the freeware version and try it, then you will know if you want to upgrade or not?

They may give you a time limited key perhaps to try a full professional license for a few days if you already have a key for 6.5 pro already, who knows.

To me it just looks fancier with the icons, I don't think they have done much else, I think they have added a few new ULP's not sure what for though.

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2014, 11:27:14 pm »
Except that stands a decent chance of Fing up my local install.  It's happened before.  I don't want to risk the downtime.

I think I'll wait until I see a feature that looks like it's worth the upgrade price.  If anybody is on V7 and knows what's hugely better about it, especially UI-related, please do share.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2014, 12:25:33 pm »
Eagle 6.x installed to program files\eagle 6.x\
Eagle 7.x installs to c:\eagle 7.x\

I have 6.4, 6.5, 6.6, 7 and 7.1 installed on my system as long as you change your home directory and not overwrite defaults when first run, your files and settings will stay the same.

In answer to your question though, UI wise, different icons...pretty much it.
Hierarchy addition, if you've done without it so far...
Autorouter upgrade to use more than one core, if you autoroute large boards then it might be worth it, otherwise, probably not.

So summarise, if you don't care for icons, hierarchy support or the autorouter, then no, it's not worth the upgrade.

HTH!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2014, 12:38:43 pm »

Offline bronson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2014, 02:14:31 am »
Right on Wilksey, thanks!  Guess I'll wait.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2014, 06:06:01 pm »
I actually just got the 7.1 upgrade from work. They announced that they're keeping to the old license model due to too much negative feedback.

I don't "do" the autorouter thing, never have, so I cannot comment on it.

What questions do you guys have about version 7?

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2014, 01:26:13 am »
the new icons threw me for a loop. I feel like i have to relearn them all over again I got so used to the older icons.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2014, 01:51:10 am »
the new icons threw me for a loop. I feel like i have to relearn them all over again I got so used to the older icons.

Haven't seen the new ones yet but the old ones look dated that were created by a software engineer. I would love to see more modern and aesthetic icons. This is subjective of course.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2014, 02:32:58 am »
attached screenies from 7.1

download for full size resolution

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2014, 02:44:35 am »
Are these the new icons? Don't look much better than the old ones. I was hopping to something like...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2014, 09:11:00 am »
You can adjust the icons to look like the old style if you want, see the cadsoft youtube videos about Eagle v7.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2014, 05:39:07 pm »
You can adjust the icons to look like the old style if you want, see the cadsoft youtube videos about Eagle v7.

sweet! turned on the option.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2014, 09:37:55 pm »
I still type in the command! I can do things so much quicker.

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 06:16:20 am »
I still type in the command! I can do things so much quicker.

Ditto, old habit from DOS time ;-)

Cheers.

Offline pstemari

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »
Or hit the F-keys.  Wish I could find a decent keyboard with the F-keys on the left.  Makes it easy to put one hand on the keys, one on the mouse, and stop hopping back & forth between the buttons and the drawing.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »
Or hit the F-keys.  Wish I could find a decent keyboard with the F-keys on the left.  Makes it easy to put one hand on the keys, one on the mouse, and stop hopping back & forth between the buttons and the drawing.
Perhaps the mechanical gamers keyboards like the logitech g710 , they have makro keys and good software you can use. Besides a nice touch like the good ,ol days.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
You could always design an "Eagle" keyboard? :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf