Author Topic: EAGLE Version 7.3 has been released!  (Read 10985 times)

Offline eosintickleear

Re: EAGLE Version 7.3 has been released!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:56:06 am »
I?have take a look at it. Thanks for sharing
And here I share with everyone, make a Supplement?  :)

What's new in Version 7?
EAGLE Version 7.3

EAGLE Version 7.3 delivers enhanced usability and optimized performance for EAGLE users everywhere:

Library Editor Usability enhancements:
Library overview screen that enables the user to see the complete chosen library at a glance. The user can easily rename and remove devices, packages and symbols directly from the library overview screen

New library cross-references: direct access from the library overview to the cross referenced packages and symbols for devices. Back-references to devices are also available with one click.

New and simplified full library context view and easy submenu access available. Descriptions can be viewed and changed directly from context menu

Additional icon and command to view full library structure with one click
Additional information in the Control Panel available:
Devices, packages and symbols are now visible in a reorganized structure. The symbols were added and can be previewed

Package-Description list: the related symbol keeps showing while scrolling through the list

Direct access to Reference Manuals, accessible without leaving EAGLE
64bit version of EAGLE is now available
for improved performance on Windows, Linux and Mac and simplified Linux installation.
Keeping up with the trend towards 64bit machines, EAGLE now leverages the improved performance of the 64bit architecture.

Significantly extended IDF export option
for 3D view and STEP File export

Update to the latest UI framework from QT

Watch some videos about the features in Version 7.3

Go to download the software

EAGLE Version 7.2

In the latest update release of EAGLE, among the improvements are:

- User Language: DRC and ERC error messages now accessible
- Installation: Revised for Mac Computers
- Export: Improved for monochrome images
- Hierarchical Modules: Improved Port command

For detailed information, please read our Release Notes.

Autorouter
The existing autorouter is based on a rip-up retry algorithm in which it takes into consideration that parameters defined in Design Rule Checker & NetClass. This is a single thread process by which the end user needs to run the autorouter multiple to test different configuration.
The new autorouter for v7 augments the existing algorithm.  One of the most noticeable effects of the new autorouter is that it is Multi-Threaded and therefore can take advantage of Multicore processors.

Multi-Threaded
This means that the autorouter can run multiple configurations simultaneously.  The user will be able to select the best outcome that accommodates his design.
On computers with multiple core processors each thread can own its own processor core.  This optimizes EAGLE’s use of the available hardware.

TopRouter
The new autorouter includes the option to use our TopRouter. This intricate process will result in boards with significantly less points of transition compared to our previous algorithm.  This will result in very cost effective optimal boards that will need less manual interaction by the end user.

Hierarchical design
This feature stems from multiple surveys hosted by CadSoft and requests monitored by our support and development team.   Hierarchal design helps designers to organize large schematic designs into small functional blocks which can then be assigned to various members of a team.  It helps collaborative design teams to work on specific areas of a large complex design, which can then be easily integrated.
At the end all these designs can be integrated due to our newly implement hierarchal design capability.  This also favours design re-use by allowing blocks of one design to be used in another design.

GUI makeover
Version 7 also means a modernized graphic look of the user interface. The icons used since the beginning have been replaced by new and modern images that are self explaining and support improving the usability of EAGLE from a visual perspective.

Export of IDF files
CadSoft Computer has created and included in EAGLE v7 an intricate ULP that will allow users to export an IDF file of the circuit board.  This file is compatible with most mechanical programs.

What is IDF?
The IDF (Intermediate Data Format) file represents the maximum dimension (length, width and height) of a component in the form of a block. These blocks act as placeholders for exact 3D models of the individual components. This basic model can be used as a preliminary check in any suitable mechanical design application.

regards?

Eosintic

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:22:24 am »
What they need is to be able to flip the view of the board for routing the bottom. They also need layer view pre-sets so that you can quickly select layer groups for various phases of the the layout process.

Some of the new features look nice but I am still saving my pennies for a jump to Altium Designer. Since that could take a while, Eagle still has a chance to keep me on board.

Categorized ULP's is welcome albeit comically late to the party.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:18:56 am »
CadSoft needs to get their pricing in order. How many have actually ponied up $1640 for the full package?  It really has me waiting on Altium as well.

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 04:45:26 pm »
They also need layer view pre-sets so that you can quickly select layer groups for various phases of the the layout process.

You can use ULPs and fancy pants toolbars or keyboard shortcuts for this :). Saves a hell of a lot of time.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:20:25 pm »
They also need layer view pre-sets so that you can quickly select layer groups for various phases of the the layout process.

You can use ULPs and fancy pants toolbars or keyboard shortcuts for this :). Saves a hell of a lot of time.

That is good news but it seems that so many crucial features are buried in the convoluted user supported ULPs. Hopefully the new ULP organization will help find what you need and allow easier browsing by functions. It is a pain to find the right ULP compared to pushing a button.

What toolbar tricks help with creating layer-view presets?

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:09:57 am »
Copy and paste the following text into a new file and name it:

layer1.scr   <= filename

DISPLAY 1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -16 23 -24 39 -40 41 -42;   <= file content

layer2.scr

DISPLAY -1 2 -3 -4 -5 -16 -23 -24 -39 -40 -41 -42;

layer3.scr

DISPLAY -1 -2 3 -4 -5 -16 -23 -24 -39 -40 -41 -42;

layer4.scr

DISPLAY -1 -2 -3 4 -5 -16 -23 -24 -39 -40 -41 -42;

layer5.scr

DISPLAY -1 -2 -3 -4 5 -16 -23 -24 -39 -40 -41 -42;

layer16.scr

DISPLAY -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 16 -23 24 -39 40 -41 42;

layerall.scr

DISPLAY 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 20 23 24 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 45 46 47 48 49;

Put these files in the scr directory.

Then you can type "scr layer1" <enter> and only layer 1 will be visible. Modify the scripts as you like.

For more info: type help display

If you like you can bind these scripts to keystrokes.

Have a look here as well: http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/07/25/how-to-eagle-shortcuts/

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:43:38 am »
...<snip>...

Handy tip: "DISPLAY LAST;" restores the previously-displayed layers after a change.

Offline eosintickleear

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 09:26:54 am »
When using Eagle or Altium, it may need to create Gerber files.
Here sharing a blog which shows the ways.

How To Create a Gerber File Using Eagle
http://pcbprototype5.blogspot.com/2015/05/pcb-share-how-to-create-gerber-file.html

Export Gerber files from Altium
http://pcbprototype5.blogspot.com/2015/05/pcb-share-export-gerber-files-from.html

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:10:05 pm »
Cadsoft have also released several more video's on their YT channel, outlining some of the features for V7.

If you have a V7 license, then you can upgrade to 7.3 with the existing license.

Not sure about V6 license as V7.00 moved to some flexlm license type system, where they reverted back due to complaints as of V7.10.

I head that a new version of Diptrace was imminent with high speed added, should be a nice feature.

Oh, breaking news (or not), Cadstar 16 has now got mouse panning by default! WooHoo! Who thought it a good idea to put their HS tools in a separate frigging tool (PR Editor) then have to back port into the main app  :palm:

Those unfortunate enough to have to use Cadstar (luckily at work I get the option not to use that POS) must have the patience of a saint!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:17:02 am »
Copy and paste the following text into a new file and name it:

If you like you can bind these scripts to keystrokes.

Have a look here as well: http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/07/25/how-to-eagle-shortcuts/

...<snip>...

Handy tip: "DISPLAY LAST;" restores the previously-displayed layers after a change.

SUPER helpful tips! Thanks all. The theme in Eagle is that it can do so much more as long as you dig for answers out in the community of very helpful users. The big boy software tends to give you the functions on a silver platter. I fully admit that if I read the manual from cover to cover and dedicated a lot of time to Eagle, it would appear to be a better tool. The software I love the most does not require much study to get 90% of the power.

Anyway, since I cannot afford Altium now - these are serious time savers in Eagle.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:40 am »
I installed eagle 7.3 64 bit on my macbook with OSX 10.9.5, coming from eagle 6.5. 7.3 looks nicer with the new icons but is virtually useable.

When I try to pan the board by sliding two fingers on the touch pad, instead of panning, the board changes zoom erratically and doesn't pan.

I will have to wait for a better version.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 06:30:03 am »
You can script all your personal settings in a .scr file.
Each set of files you open, you run the .scr, and you have all your hotkeys, grids, colors...
It's a must-have since the project files in eagle are not always workstation independent.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:37:43 am »
I installed eagle 7.3 64 bit on my macbook with OSX 10.9.5, coming from eagle 6.5. 7.3 looks nicer with the new icons but is virtually useable.

When I try to pan the board by sliding two fingers on the touch pad, instead of panning, the board changes zoom erratically and doesn't pan.

Using Eagle on mac with the touchpad or the Apple magic mouse is virtually impossible - or at least it is a suitable task for a masochist. The only way of properly using it is with an external mouse with three buttons. Anything else is bound to fail miserably....

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 06:55:19 am »
Using Eagle on mac with the touchpad or the Apple magic mouse is virtually impossible - or at least it is a suitable task for a masochist. The only way of properly using it is with an external mouse with three buttons. Anything else is bound to fail miserably....

I designed many boards with eagle 6.5 on my macbook air 11" using the touch pad alone with no problem whatsoever. 

7.3 is a regression in this respect. Erratic zoom instead of smooth panning.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 07:19:41 am »

Oh yeah, that's as tweaky as hell, isn't it?

Using Eagle on mac with the touchpad or the Apple magic mouse is virtually impossible - or at least it is a suitable task for a masochist.

Huh. Nearly 50 years on this earth & I never knew I was an impossible masochist...

It was fine in 7.2.0.

Edit: "Options" - "User Interface" - "Mouse wheel zoom" <- setting this to 1.05 or 1.1 makes it a lot more manageable (or 1.0 to turn it off while leaving pinch-to-zoom still working), but the new '2 finger slide = zoom' still sucks.

Further edit: setting it to 0 turns '2 finger slide to zoom' off & '2 finger slide to scroll' back on (note: you have to be zoomed in a bit for scroll to work). Pinch-to-zoom still works. Basically restores it to the same as 7.2.0 (but is scrolling now a bit more tweaky? Hard to tell; it never was particularly good...).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:02:16 am by Tac Eht Xilef »

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 07:32:56 am »
Using Eagle on mac with the touchpad or the Apple magic mouse is virtually impossible - or at least it is a suitable task for a masochist.

Huh. Nearly 50 years on this earth & I never knew I was an impossible masochist...

It was fine in 7.2.0.

Well, at least I'm like an order of magnitude more productive when using a proper three-button mouse compared to the trackpad - this regardless of version. But I haven't tried 7.3 yet, maybe it will be two orders of magnitude now... :-)

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:10 am »
Lol, $1.5k+ and still no real time DRC? whatdafuk!? Diptrace is cheaper and better (pimped out "unlimited everything" version is like $900).
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »

I designed many boards with eagle 6.5 on my macbook air 11" using the touch pad alone with no problem whatsoever. 

7.3 is a regression in this respect. Erratic zoom instead of smooth panning.
Same here. Eagle is the one PCB design program that worked properly with the Mac touchpad.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 07:28:11 pm »
Which is probably another reason behind using Windows machines for engineering.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:30 am »
Lol, $1.5k+ and still no real time DRC? whatdafuk!? Diptrace is cheaper and better (pimped out "unlimited everything" version is like $900).

Oh.... I wish you were right ;)

I tried DipTrace but it has so many quirks so I had to switch back. Above that some of them have been known for years....
I hate Eagle but could not find a better suite for hobby projects and rapid prototyping at work. :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf