Author Topic: EAGLE vs Diptrace vs whatever...  (Read 37718 times)

Offline LogicalDave

• Regular Contributor
Re: EAGLE vs Diptrace vs whatever...
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »
If you find the Eagle interface impossible you might try Autotrax DEX.  It has warts, but is usable and inexpensive.  I find the user interface clicks with me, sufficiently that it overcomes the main DEX deficiency which is a terrible user manual.
DEX has more problems than just its user manual.  I've purchased it (several times) and spent many hours with it over the years.  The UI is beautiful, but ultimately there is always a critical flaw that sends me back to Eagle.  As soon as you try to do any non-trivial PCB layout (I'm not talking anything exotic, just copper pour), DEX falls apart - vias aren't connected to pour, areas of pour overlay other areas, it's just a disaster.  Even generating the basic files you need to send to a board shop for fabrication aren't there.  Unfortunately, although DEX has great promise, the owner keeps adding features like 3D modeling to it rather than getting the basics working and IMO, it's not usable.

FWIW, once you get used to the quirky user interface, Eagle is very powerful and capable.  I don't use the autorouter and agree with prior comments that the main routing deficiency is lack of push/shove capability.  Eagle is fast and stable; I have never seen it crash and have used it a *lot* on Windows and Linux.

Offline AIt

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:49 pm »
What about KICAD ?
http://kicad-pcb.org/

Offline fed0r

• fedorchat
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 08:27:59 am »
DipTrace 3.0 now has differential pair support, and Altium and Eagle import is in the works. The library got expanded, too.
I've been using it since version 2.3 and it's only getting better, although at an incredibly slow pace. It's way more intuitive for me than Eagle as well. Of course, nothing beats Altium in terms of productivity, but it's got a steep learning curve and no hobbyist can afford it.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 02:22:53 pm »
+1  :-+  for DipTrace. 

I use the free non-profit version and it was very intuitive and quick to learn.  I've created several of my own parts and the process was quick and easy.  Also, it is very easy to import Eagle files.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 03:19:55 pm »
If you're doing open-source designs (even if they're commercial), you should strongly consider giving Altium's new CircuitMaker software a try. It's absolutely free (even for commercial work), and has about 90% of the features of the full version of Altium Designer. The only "catch" is that all of your CircuitMaker projects are accessible by the CircuitMaker community. Like most professional CAD/CAM software, it's also Windows-only.

The new massive price drop on Circuit Studio ($995) puts it into the same price bracket as Eagle.

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 12:35:17 pm »
I think both are good but it may differ for beginner. Even sometimes it depends on your specific requirements also. Eagle may lacking with the user-friendliness and easy interface compared to diptrace. The third we can consider design spark, which is the my first choice among three.

Offline Saeed

• !
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 07:21:34 pm »
Hi ....

I want to buy EAGLE from CadSoft (not from Autodesk), anyone wants to sell ?

I will pay now ...

Thank you

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf