Author Topic: :: how to change text size of components? (solved, thanks yall)  (Read 26412 times)

Offline 3roomlabTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
:: how to change text size of components? (solved, thanks yall)
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
a noob question actually, and i cant find any leads on youtube etc

how do you change the size of the name/value eventually you see on BRD? to be exact is to make it smaller? any help please? much appreciated ! :D

** edit --  found it ... normalize-text.ULP **
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:05:11 am by 3roomlab »

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: :: how to change text size of components?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:36:14 pm »
"Smash" the component on the board, which separates the names from the outline.  Then you can do "change size", move,  and etc on the separated names.

There are ULP scripts that "fix" the text ratios (and line widths) for purposes of having the silkscreen meet Design rules (since so many libraries have very fine lines.)  See for example silk-new.ulp here: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/downloads/ulps  (though that one is pretty old.)  These work by creating a new layer that has individual objects for each of the components of a package, which lets you do a lot of useful editing if you want an especially pretty silkscreen.  (you use the new layer instead of tPlace/tNames/tValues, when you generate the gerbers.)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:01:54 am »
ah thanks for the tip ... :D

i submitted the gerber to seeed ... then discovered i over sized the PCB perimeters LOL ! ... ( by about 80mils )

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:21:09 pm »
For consistency, I would suggest only using the components in other libraries as a reference. Make your own in separate libraries. This way, nit-picky things like font sizes, silk screen markings, etc. will be more consistent and reduce effort in cleaning up your design when you're done.

If time and effort is an issue edit the font sizes in the package editor. This will reduce effort and time on newer designs. You'll undoubtedly smash all of the footprints in your design anyway in order to be sure the part numbers don't overlap with pads, but at least the fonts will all be accurate, which will remove a step. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:41 am »
For consistency, I would suggest only using the components in other libraries as a reference. Make your own in separate libraries. This way, nit-picky things like font sizes, silk screen markings, etc. will be more consistent and reduce effort in cleaning up your design when you're done.

If time and effort is an issue edit the font sizes in the package editor. This will reduce effort and time on newer designs. You'll undoubtedly smash all of the footprints in your design anyway in order to be sure the part numbers don't overlap with pads, but at least the fonts will all be accurate, which will remove a step.

i havent really figured out how to make a custom mix bag library yet, i did successfully created a few weird footprints which i cant get hold of.

if i found a part from another schematic that is not available in the usual lib, how do you make that piece a part of your common libs that is always loaded?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »
i guess it takes some exploring ... (esp when in insomniac mode)

im not sure how the pros do their "collection" libraries, like adafruit library? maybe they program their own ULP to automagically consolidate duplicate libraries into 1 single less cluttered library?

well what i found was, create a schematic, dump all the common components i would use into it (along with the footprints always used, 1206? sot23? dpak?), then use "exp-project-lbr.ULP" and convert it into a new library that is a everyday use library. and by saving this with a "0" zero number infront, the library always pops up as the first library in the library list

now a new question : with all your assignable keys mapped for speedy work, how do you save this "setting" so that you can take it and dump it onto another eagle equipped PC so it has all the same mappings? i dont see a user settings folder which i could copy in the eagle directories, or in the windows documents side, or maybe i missed looking in certain places?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:43:19 pm by 3roomlab »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 08:56:19 am »
Hi,
now a new question : with all your assignable keys mapped for speedy work, how do you save this "setting" so that you can take it and dump it onto another eagle equipped PC so it has all the same mappings?

I think what you're loking for is the default-assign.scr and/or eagle.scr file(s) in the \scr folder. The manual does actually cover configuring and configuration files to some extent, might be worth taking a look, see Configuring Eagle Individually (section 5.9 in my particullar manual (v6.5))

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
nope. i changed settings saved quit ... the files did not register a change. they are dated .... 3 years old. nothing is 2014 ... definately not settings files

thanks anyway :D

i asked cos i am going to store all settings for restoring post HDD wipe.

*edit : ok maybe its the DRU file ...

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »
%appdata%\Cadsoft\EAGLE\eaglerc.usr
$home/.eaglerc

These are explicitly listed in the manual.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf