Author Topic: how to merge silkscreen layers  (Read 8195 times)

Offline pirulo123Topic starter

• Contributor
how to merge silkscreen layers
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »
Dear All,

I want to merge my silkscreen layers, I see that some library parts have different layers assigned to their silkscreen drawings and I want to merge it into one layer so the manufacturer does it correctly.
Can it be done ? is there any risk in having the silkscreen over a pad or via ? maybe that is the reason for having different layers I dont know...

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
Re: how to merge silkscreen layers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:59 pm »
This is done with the Gerber export in the CAM Processor.  You will create named sections and you can have multiple layers selected for that section.

It would probably be helpful to look at some folks cam scripts.  The on for DorkBotPDX is a good example:
http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order  

The script is in the "How to submit your order" section, but I'll link here as well:
http://content.laen.org/pcb/LaenPCBOrder.cam

With your board loaded, do File -> CAM Processor.

You should have the CAM Processor Window now.  Do File -> Open -> Job...   And select wherever you saved the .cam from Laen.

Now you will have many sections.  Notice how Silk Screen CMP will have Dimension, tPlace, tNames selected.  If you want more, just select it.  Once you get the Job how you like it, save it so you have it next export.  The same goes for all layers and you can add some for whatever.

I don't believe there is any risk having silk screen over pads or vias.  All board fabs I've seen will only print silk screen on the areas that are also solder masked.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:45:54 pm »
Thanks sacherjj,

That's something I used a while ago, but now some manufacturers are starting to accept .brd file formats (from eagle) to me the CAM is an art on it's on, someday I'll have to sit down and learn it.I want things done the way I want.

Thanks !

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:47 pm »
I want things done the way I want.
In that case you should pass your manufacturer gerber files, and not rely on them "matching" the processing that you would do to generate the gerber files.  If a manufacturer accepts EAGLE .BRD files, it almost certainly means little more than that they have a copy of EAGLE, a standard CAM job, and a person that knows how to use them to generate the gerber files at their site...

The following users thanked this post: ivan747

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:45:34 am »
Unless you have a copy of their CAM file, the BRD isn't enough to certify that how YOU interpret the board is how THEY interpret the board.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 05:15:58 am »
I just hosted a workshop on using Eagle to design printed circuit boards.  The slide show for the second session goes into some detail in using different layers for the CAM file.

What I want on a board may be different than what you want on a board and both may be different than the fab house results using a standard CAM job.

Review the slide show for the 2nd session.  Only by understanding what's happening in the CAM job can you control the output to get what you want.  Once you have combined the desired layers in the CAM job to make the Gerber file, the fab house can't decide to include different layers.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »
I just hosted a workshop on using Eagle to design printed circuit boards.  The slide show for the second session goes into some detail in using different layers for the CAM file.

The Tutorial is awesome, thanks !!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf