Author Topic: I just can't figure out how to use this  (Read 10086 times)

Offline ramicioTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: I just can't figure out how to use this
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 04:03:54 pm »
There is no such thing as a pad in Eagle unless it's in a component.  My point is that I can't just lay down a via, and connect an airwire to it from a component that has a pad. 

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:36 pm »
Yes and no.  You are right that you can't connect a via to a component pad, at least not directly.  The component pad must have a signal connected to it to have a name property.

So here is a way to accomplish what you're trying to do:

1.  Start with a library component.  Place it where you like and place a second copy.  This is the 8 pin DIP in the attached illustrations.

2.  Connect a component pad you want to connect to a via to another pad on the dummy part with an air wire.

3.  Use the NAME tool to determine this signal name.

4.  Use the NAME tool to give the desired via the same name.  A yellow airwire will connect it to the pair of connected pads.

5.  Route the trace as desired.

6.  Delete the dummy part.

It's a little extra work but it does what you want.

Another option is to create a library of single pads of various sizes.  Then you can position them as you like and route traces directly to them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
I know how to do all this now.  My whole point is that they (the people who make the software) need to change this behavior because it's just plain stupid.

Offline jmole

• Regular Contributor
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:19 pm »
I know how to do all this now.  My whole point is that they (the people who make the software) need to change this behavior because it's just plain stupid.

This seems as silly as complaining that the nail-puller end of a hammer can't easily be used as a flathead screwdriver. If you don't use the tool as it's intended, everything will seem stupid.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
A hammer is not a piece of software.  Comparing physical tools to software tools is apples and oranges.

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:51 pm »

I make a lot of little breakout-type of boards that don't need a schematic, library or net names and would benefit from having this capability.  Sometimes it would be nice to just build boards ad hoc.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to add this feature, however.

I'm willing to bet that the software designer's mindset is that it is easy enough to get these types of jobs done with the help of the library editor.  And I think they're right--it is easy enough for people that know how to use the software and know the software's 'philosophy.' 

If this is all you want to do with the software then you're not going to like what you have to do to get the job done since this isn't a primary feature of the software.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 06:42:26 pm »
At the risk of being told you know everything again, there is one other option.

Put down any of the components you do happen to like and whatever vias you want, and then connect them using the Eagle LINE tool with the appropriate layer selected.  Be sure the lines overlap the pads as the burden is totally on you to be sure things actually connect.

You can then generate Gerber files (you probably won't like having to do this either) and the resulting files should produce what you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf