Author Topic: Imagine you have a deadline...  (Read 49573 times)

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Imagine you have a deadline...
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »
Reliability is ...

But is the issue with eagle or windows :)

Try to run Eagle V8 on Fedora without an instant segfault...

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 05:57:07 pm »
The solution to that particular error is to log out of your version 8.0.0 and then start 8.0.1. That's what worked for another user and I think it will work for you.

This sounds like you are forced to accept the update to a new version to continue working, something you said would not be required in that (overly long/overly bitter) thread on Autodesk taking over EAGLE.

So, please clarify what is going on here.

Hi MagicSmoker,

Basically, you can only be signed in to one version of  Autodesk EAGLE on the same computer. So if you are using 8.0.1 and want to use 8.0.0 sign out of 8.0.1 and then start 8.0.0. 8.0.0 will ask you to sign in again that's all.

You can continue to use both without issue, if you have both then you have to do a sign out operation in one in order to switch to the other.

Hope that clarifies things.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 06:01:23 pm »
Reliability is ...

Hi Karel,

On the Autodesk forums, we posted a couple of possible solutions for this. Check the following:

1) See if you have Lavasoft Ad-aware installed (it comes pre-installed with some Lenovo laptops), the Web companion feature interferes with EAGLE. Disabling it, allows EAGLE to start. If you don't need it then just uninstall it.

2) What type of Video card do you have? Is it a Radeon series card? If it is you may have to update your drivers.

We can't do anything about #1, however we are working on something to address #2.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 06:07:29 pm »
Reliability is ...

Try to run Eagle V8 on Fedora without an instant segfault...

Hi Karel,

We are working on improving Linux support by supporting a few mainstream distros. Fedora is being analyzed for inclusion at this point in time. It is possible to get EAGLE to run on Fedora by following the steps outlined in the README and symlinking a few libraries.

The Linux community is so fragmented that it's almost impossible to support all distributions. Users of Linux are used to getting their hands dirty so if a user is going to use something outside the list of distros(kernels, libc, etc.) that we support, than there is a possibility that they will have to do something special to get EAGLE to run.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »
The Linux community is so fragmented that it's almost impossible to support all distributions. Users of Linux are used to getting their hands dirty so if a user is going to use something outside the list of distros(kernels, libc, etc.) that we support, than there is a possibility that they will have to do something special to get EAGLE to run.

This was rarely a problem with version 7 & 6.

The problems started with V8 because Autodesk thought it was good idea not to link static anymore.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 07:04:28 pm »
This was rarely a problem with version 7 & 6.

The problems started with V8 because Autodesk thought it was good idea not to link static anymore.

One reason I always liked Eagle was that it was rock solid. It never crashed or destroyed my design files, unlike what I've heard from e.g. Altium Designer. Another reason now to switch to something free like KiCad.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 07:31:54 pm »
1) See if you have Lavasoft Ad-aware installed (it comes pre-installed with some Lenovo laptops), the Web companion feature interferes with EAGLE. Disabling it, allows EAGLE to start. If you don't need it then just uninstall it.

We can't do anything about #1,

If that is true, how is it possible that V6 & 7 runs fine?

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 07:40:52 pm »

We can't do anything about #1,

If that is true, how is it possible that V6 & 7 runs fine?

Hello Karel,

I meant it in the sense that LavaSoft is a third party software and the fact that there code interferes with ours is something that we can't force them to fix. We can't mess with their code base.

Under the hood there have been many changes between EAGLE V7 and the new Autodesk EAGLE, those changes have introduced some growing pains that we have to sort out now in order to continue to develop EAGLE further.

I hope that helps clarify things.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 07:47:45 pm »
My experience of software which went this way is they will keep on increasing the fee overtime to 'upgrade' to the latest version. So you end up spending just as much as having a subscription.  One product cost a few hundred originally now costs about 12k to buy/upgrade, about 10 years later.  They know they will not sell to new customers, who will just opt for a different cheaper product. But there is a large enough existing user base who have to factor in the time and cost of converting existing projects to a different product.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 09:19:15 pm »
But if you have a perpetual license, it doesn't matter what it costs to upgrade unless you actually need some new feature and that's getting rarer all the time. That's the reason of course that the rental model is gaining popularity with software developers. It's the only way they can keep you paying.

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 05:38:38 pm »
Reliability is ...

Great,
One of the things i did like at eagle, was it's reliability. I haven't seen the old version crash a single time in years (exept a file-server-fault).
Now this ...

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 03:20:42 pm »
So the above fix is stating that a component of AdAware, which monitors web traffic blocks the program (causing grief) because it appears to mimic a datamining piece of malware, needs to be disabled.

The first question to be asked, is what exactly is Eagle doing which needs to be calling home in this manner?

Suppose it's AdAware being hypersensitive. Am I going to have this problem when my IT guys have the firewall settings clamping down something brutal, and I'm powerless to change that?
Never been a problem with EagleV7 and earlier.

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 05:45:54 pm »
So the above fix is stating that a component of AdAware, which monitors web traffic blocks the program (causing grief) because it appears to mimic a datamining piece of malware, needs to be disabled.

The first question to be asked, is what exactly is Eagle doing which needs to be calling home in this manner?

Suppose it's AdAware being hypersensitive. Am I going to have this problem when my IT guys have the firewall settings clamping down something brutal, and I'm powerless to change that?
Never been a problem with EagleV7 and earlier.

Hi XFDDesign,

To be specific, the encounter with EAGLE causes Lavasoft to run into a divide by zero error :-//. If you look through the Lavasoft forums you'll find that users have experienced this issue with other software.

As has already been mentioned, EAGLE on startup checks for a valid license from the Autodesk servers so it is at that point that it calls home.

Now, for the most important question. If the IT guys go hardcore on the firewall settings, then it's likely that a proxy server is available to you(Considering Microsoft and Adobe have gone subscription as well it's likely that EAGLE isn't your IT team's first rodeo) EAGLE can use that validate your license. Additionally the ports used by EAGLE to check the license are standard HTTPS ports that most department have available.

If neither of those two options work than e-mail support.eagle@autodesk.com and we could address it further.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 06:01:38 pm »
As has already been mentioned, EAGLE on startup checks for a valid license from the Autodesk servers so it is at that point that it calls home.

Well, if it calls home only at startup, one solution to the problem would be to install it inside a VM, start it once, then never end it and freeze the VM when you need to shutdown your computer. No need for an internet connection anymore, and would save the annual fee as well :)
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »
Do I understand correct? Autodesk does not trust me but they want me to trust Autodesk? Really?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 08:01:30 pm »
Now, for the most important question. If the IT guys go hardcore on the firewall settings, then it's likely that a proxy server is available to you(Considering Microsoft and Adobe have gone subscription as well it's likely that EAGLE isn't your IT team's first rodeo) EAGLE can use that validate your license. Additionally the ports used by EAGLE to check the license are standard HTTPS ports that most department have available.

Clearly you guys have never dealt with national labs or defense contractor or other users with, shall we say, very severe security restrictions, if this is your response.

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 08:27:29 pm »

Clearly you guys have never dealt with national labs or defense contractor or other users with, shall we say, very severe security restrictions, if this is your response.

Hi Bassman59,

I hope you're doing well. You forgot to quote the rest of the response where I said that if either of those two options were not viable to contact us for further support. Outside of those two circumstances we have to look deeper, I can't cover every scenario in a forum post so I went with the most common situations.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 07:01:47 pm »
Do I understand correct? Autodesk does not trust me but they want me to trust Autodesk? Really?
In my sight it's even worse. Just read their license and service agreement.

Offline richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:56 am »
Here's what's ultimately going to happen to EAGLE users...
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/5t3k8k/just_for_a_laugh_enjoy_this_78_page_document/

Doesn't look too complicated, many steps seems to be optional and for companies with employees, and an IT department which manages the $$$k AutoCAD etc. packages and users.

I'm still happy with my Eagle 6, but I won't upgrade to the subscription version. I used Eagle for 20 years now, starting with the DOS version, but in the last weeks I tried KiCad and it has some quirks, but looks usable. Will try it for new projects. And another good thing is that if I don't like a quirk, now I can fix it myself (being mostly a programmer).

I agree. I am an Eagle user and really satisfied.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »
Hi XFDDesign,

To be specific, the encounter with EAGLE causes Lavasoft to run into a divide by zero error :-//. If you look through the Lavasoft forums you'll find that users have experienced this issue with other software.

But that's the wiggle isn't it? Plenty of other software 'calls home' and doesn't convince AdAware to divide by zero. What is going on under the hood that is unique to the degree it results in mutually assured death, and is common to these other packages of software you refer to? The Ford Pinto was not the only model car to be a firehazard, but pointing out that there are other cars which have similar fire-hazard susceptibility doesn't negate the fact that the root hazard is still there. With as little information AD provides to what goes on, and their own past history, there isn't any trust here to begin with. 

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 04:46:43 pm »
I guess AdAware monitors the internet traffic and then does some analysis on the data. There are many reasons for division by zero, like the programmer expected something from a regexp, then dividing something by this result to calculate some average. But analyzing the exact data and reverse-engineering the code could be a lot of work. Maybe Autodesk can send AdAware an Eagle license, so that their developers can see the bug inside an IDE, which then should be a matter of seconds to fix it and would benefit both companies, because the bug could happen with any software.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
Uncaught division by zero is a programming error wherever it occurs, and usually points to an underlying design defect (incorrect assumptions about the environment or API behavior).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »
 :--

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 07:17:43 pm »
Hello Karel,

I hope you're doing well today. Could you provide some information about your setup? What operating system are you working with? What type of internet connection are you using wired or wireless?

Let's start there.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 07:54:38 pm »
Hello Jorge,

I hope you're doing well today. Could you make Eagle revert to the old perpetual license system?

Let's start there.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Karel

The following users thanked this post: daqq, XFDDesign, KE5FX, eugenenine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf