Author Topic: Library with toroidal inductors for EagleCAD ?  (Read 8437 times)

Offline strykerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Library with toroidal inductors for EagleCAD ?
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:13:48 am »
Hi,

I've got an inductor I was hoping to include in a design but haven't had any joy finding an equivalent for EagleCAD.  The component is a Pulse Engineering 100uH inductor, PE-92108 (datasheet linked here) which is spec'd as being a KlipMount KM-4.0 package.  Can anyone suggest an equivalent I could substitute, an alternative name for KM-4.0 from another vendor with an EagleCAD presence, or a library containing the real deal?

Thanks
Geoff
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:23:20 am by stryker »

Offline Bambur

• Regular Contributor
Re: Library with toroidal inductors for EagleCAD ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:55:12 am »
Unless you find the substitute, it is very easy to make your own library with Eagle. See Chapter 8
Component Design Explained through Examples in the manual for version 5 for instance.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:40:35 am »
Thanks Bambur.  So far I've not had success finding a substitute so I have been reading up on how to make my own.  It doesn't seem too hard to adapt something with only 2 pins from one of the existing packages so will give it a go over the weekend.

Offline andersendr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 05:06:54 am »
In the datasheet link you provided, it even supplies the suggested land pattern.  If this is a one off thing, just place 2 or 3 holes the correct size and spacing on the board.  There would not even be a need to setup a library item then.  Although as Bambur has eluded to, making library components is easy as well as being a useful skill in the future.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:53 am »
...as Bambur has eluded to, making library components is easy as well as being a useful skill in the future.
Yes I quite agree.  And I don't think I'll get to start on anything simpler than a box with two pins  ;) 

Offline Deh_Rehk

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
Hello Guys

I am also using a toroidal inductor in my design have spent a couple of hours browsing the internet and I haven't had any luck. Before I go ahead with designing my own footprint from the information provided in the datasheet, I would like to ask if stryker has managed to make one.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:50:21 pm by Deh_Rehk »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:14:49 am »
I sure did.  I made a footprint for the one I was using and it worked a treat.  Apologies for the hurried blurry cameraphone image...

Unfortunately this must have been one of the last things I did in Eagle before a hard cut-over to KiCad so I don't think I still have this.  What I can tell you (and I'm hoping you take this as good news) is that coil silk in the middle looks too good to be something I did with EagleCAD so I think all I must have done is found an existing inductor, and adjusted the pin spacing and bounding box.

Offline richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:10:08 am »
I agree. EagleCAd is comparatively easy to work with and adjust the pin spacing and bounding box.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:04:12 pm »
I am also using a toroidal inductor in my design have spent a couple of hours browsing the internet and I haven't had any luck. Before I go ahead with designing my own footprint from the information provided in the datasheet, I would like to ask if stryker has managed to make one.

Amazing... you spent a couple hours looking for a footprint that you could have made yourself in less than 10 minutes?

Seriously, you need to know how to make proper devices in EAGLE (symbol + footprint + pin assignment = device) and a toroidal inductor, with just two pads, is a really good introduction to this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf