Author Topic: No board outline layer defined after exporting gerbers.  (Read 4493 times)

Offline CodyWTopic starter

• Contributor
No board outline layer defined after exporting gerbers.
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:24:12 am »
Hi Everyone,

After I export my gerber files and upload them to Breadboard Killer – Kind of like the Australian version of OSH Park – I receive the error: No outline layer defined". I've double checked that my board outline is on Layer 20 and I've used the .boardoutline.ger and .gko extensions when exporting the gerbers. My board outline is just a circle so it's not a broken like. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any Ideas?

Cheers, Cody

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: No board outline layer defined after exporting gerbers.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:29:12 pm »
Hard to say what the problem is.   Dimension (layer 20) is what I use and have never had a problem with OSHPark.

Maybe posting your file will help?   Are you using a version of 8.0 or higher?

John

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:04:28 pm »
Hi Cody,

I hope you're having a good day. Looking at the breadboard killer site it looks like they expect the outline to be on it's own gerber, without looking at the file it's hard to say but the default EAGLE cam jobs don't export the outline to it's own separate gerber. Something to double check.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 01:41:45 am »
Some PCB services don't recognize native Eagle circles. I stopped trying that long ago, and instead draw a circular outline using four curve segments, one for each quadrant. It's the same thing, just more work.

However, some PCB services don't like curves at all. I used one high-end service that said you could only have 16 lines in your outline. They broke radius curves down into segments so none of those allowed!

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 10:27:30 am »
Re: circular outline

Awhile back, I submitted a circular PCB project to Oshpark (attached).   Outline was with layer 20 (dimension).  Fill was done with a typical polygon.   It was a single-sided board, and initially that created an error, but the workaround was simple. 

In any event, the outline was an unbroken circle done as geometry, not signal (as usual), and that in itself was not a problem.

If you do not want to post your file, maybe a "trial" submission to Oshpark will find the error?

John

Offline CodyWTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:11:28 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sorry, I should of mentioned that. I'm using Eagle 8.0.

I haven't had a problem with Breadboard Killer before; I had a same circular outline with that board as well.  I'll do a trial run on OSH Park. :)

I've attached my board file. Sorry for the poor layout, I'm still quite new to this.

Cody

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:44:36 am »
Using the OSHPark DRC, there are a few restrict errors, but nothing serious.   I suspect a trial submission to OSHPark will go fine.  FYI, for my submission, I used a square to delineate the pour, but layer 20 to show the milled shape. That difference may not cause a problem at it appears the circular pours are labeled as signals.  I used version 7.2 for checking  that.

John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf