Author Topic: Odd DRC problem with different rev's of board, need some help  (Read 3013 times)

Offline CrabxCoreTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello everyone,

I am working on a reflow oven shield for my arduino. I have designed the board and am just doing final checks on everything. Today I went in to beef up some of my power traces and then ran a DRC. 42 exceptions!?? :wtf: So I undid all changes and ran it again. 40 exceptions... All on a 2x18 2.54mm header. There were no problems with any of this last time I worked on the board. Nothing in that area has changed. I have attached both my current (problem) rev, and an earlier rev that works fine and passes DRC. I have checked trace width, via size, etc. I can not for the life of me see a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Crab

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
Re: Odd DRC problem with different rev's of board, need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:26 am »
It looks like somewhere along the lines the pad sizes for the connector on the right got increased. Although I don't see where in the DRC it is happening.

Quick dirty fix? Neck the traces going through the pins down to 8mil through where they go between the pins.

More difficult fix? Reroute the board. You have vias ALL OVER THE PLACE that don't need to be there. I found a loop where the +12V rail literally does a loop on itself, using a couple of vias, before heading into another through-hole package! There are traces that you have switching between top and bottom layers back and forth for no reason. Eagle has a grid, and I find that setting it to 25mil (even 12.5mil) is enough to be able to route out anything that could be hand soldered.

If you want, I could have a crack at re-routing it for you.

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:58:21 am »
Hey thanks for your response. I actually posted in another part of the forum asking for just the kind of criticism you just gave me!  :-+ Anyways, I'm pretty new to all this.

As far as the vias all over the place goes,  I was just trying to keep one layer going vertical and one horizontal. I think this ended up generating more via's than Really needed.

And for the 12v loops, is it around the 3v3 regulator? I just saw that haha I have no idea why that got routed like that. I just ripped up part of the loop so it's just a single trace. If you wanted to route just that vin/12v part just to show me a better way to do it I would certainly appreciate it. I don't want you to waste your time re routing the entire board.

Oh and another quick question, what do you do if you want to re route your entire board? is there a simple command to rip up all? or even reset to that initial view of all components on the side.

Thanks,
Crab

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:09:44 am »
To rip up everything, select everything in a big bouding box, click on un-route, right click, unroute all.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:17 am »
To rip up everything, select everything in a big bouding box, click on un-route, right click, unroute all.

Oh hey thanks that is a lot easier than what I was doing previously!

Crab

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »
Uhm, or just select the ripup tool and click 'go' at the top.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »
Uhm, or just select the ripup tool and click 'go' at the top.

WOW! easier still! I have never really used those stop and go buttons. What else are they useful for?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf