Author Topic: Please help me making a custom part library (SOIC-16 resistor array)  (Read 6659 times)

Offline timofonicTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Hello.

I'm trying to pass some subjects in my vocational training school and I need to make the schematic of PCB in Eagle of a proposed circuit.

I'm going to change to another vocational training school and continue with less subjects to finish so I can use extra time to practice soldering, do extra projects, improve my maths (I'm awful at it, I failed at maths and physics at the entrance exam but got high grades at Spanish, English and electronics) and be better at theory.

I need to make it SMD and use a SOIC-16 resistor array to save space, because the project requires it.

I'm getting mad at trying to make it. I tried to use  make-symbol-device-package-bsdl.ulp but it seems this schematic doesn't have enough data like in BGA packages.

The part is Vishay SOMC160347K0GRZ. I attach the datasheet of it.

I'm struggling at making parts from scratch in Eagle, I tried to follow this tutorial from Dangerous Prototypes but got a bit confused. I don't need why I need to draw the package (I'm awful drawing...), it's SOIC-16 standard.

I know this question may be very stupid for most people here and I should RTFM, but I'm confused about this. I always have been bad at drawing and I have some spatial issues I need to fix.

I did this quick & dirty try on 123pcb, but I need to make it in Eagle :(
https://123d.circuits.io/components/852060-vishay-somc160347k0grz

Any advice about this? I'm lost!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:18:38 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Online jc101

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Please help me making a custom part library (SOIC-16 resistor array)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »
Look at the Eagle library "resistor-bourns.lbr" and I think there is a 16 pin SOIC resistor array in the 8 isolated config the same as the Vishay part you mention.  Take a look at "2NBS16-xx" and see if they fit your needs.

Generally you can find some base part which exists to act as a base part for a new library, or simply use the standard one (check the footprints first though!).

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:46:14 pm »
The length of each pad is (w - c)/2. The distance between the center lines of the two lines is (w+c)/2.  You should have the rest of the dimensions in the data sheet. One way to set equal spacing pads is to sept the eagle grid to the pitch p.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:50:51 pm »
Look at the Eagle library "resistor-bourns.lbr" and I think there is a 16 pin SOIC resistor array in the 8 isolated config the same as the Vishay part you mention.  Take a look at "2NBS16-xx" and see if they fit your needs.

Generally you can find some base part which exists to act as a base part for a new library, or simply use the standard one (check the footprints first though!).

Thanks a lot!

SO16=SOIC-16  ??
Sorry, I did not check enough. I got tired of trying stupid things and didn't know these are known as "resistor network" too!

2NBS16-8E seems a good candidate :D

Online jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 10:06:50 pm »

SO16=SOIC-16  ??

Probably, but open the library and check the footprint for a match.

Always check footprints, nothing worse than have a board turn up to find he part won't fit.

Offline Josephine85

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:05:56 pm »
Thats very simple, just watch the guided tour: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/eagle-pcb-design-software/guided-tour/

"Defining Library Parts
 Although EAGLE comes with a full set of part libraries, sooner or later you will have to define your own library parts.
With the fully integrated part editor this is an easy task, you simply

* draw the Symbols
* draw the Package
* put it all together in a Device"

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:29:26 am »
Thats very simple, just watch the guided tour: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/eagle-pcb-design-software/guided-tour/

"Defining Library Parts
 Although EAGLE comes with a full set of part libraries, sooner or later you will have to define your own library parts.
With the fully integrated part editor this is an easy task, you simply

* draw the Symbols
* draw the Package
* put it all together in a Device"

Sorry for ther late reply!

These days I'm suffering orCAD 9.2. Despite it's old, it's not so difficult to make parts for it or at least the simplest ones (no ones with different symbols, like resistor/capacitor arrays). I'm going to revisit this effort again, but considering to switch to KiCad.

Thanks for all!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf