Author Topic: Q: v6.2.0 external devices  (Read 5112 times)

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Q: v6.2.0 external devices
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:30:10 pm »
Hi!

Eagle 6.2.0 supports "external devices", e.g. devices without package you can connect to wires in the schematics (like a normal device). That's what the release notes say. Haven't found any clue how to create such an external device in the library editor. Any ideas?

Cheers
 madires

• Super Contributor
Re: Q: v6.2.0 external devices
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »
Found out how to define an external device. In the library editor I had to define a device without any package and add the attribute "_EXTERNAL_" with some random value.

Offline stryker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
Hi,

This sounds like what I want to do, but does it mean if you find something that is defined with a footprint (in this case I'm talking switches and connectors) that in order to use them panel-mounted rather than on the PCB I need to copy & make a custom component out of each of those that's external?

Hoping there's a better way, thanks
Geoff

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »
I just think of it in context. If it is going to be a couple of small wires surely you can just use a header. That way you have the point to solder to...
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline stryker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25:14 pm »
I just think of it in context. If it is going to be a couple of small wires surely you can just use a header. That way you have the point to solder to...
That's what I'd like - but how do you maintain a switch or panel-mounted switched TRS etc in the schematic so that's correctly documenting the circuit while keeping just the 0.1 spaced pads on the PCB? 

Thanks
Geoff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 03:04:27 pm »
This sounds like what I want to do, but does it mean if you find something that is defined with a footprint (in this case I'm talking switches and connectors) that in order to use them panel-mounted rather than on the PCB I need to copy & make a custom component out of each of those that's external?

Unfortunately yes. It would be much more convenient if they simply had a toggle box "package / no package" for the device.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:29 am »
That's what I'd like - but how do you maintain a switch or panel-mounted switched TRS etc in the schematic so that's correctly documenting the circuit while keeping just the 0.1 spaced pads on the PCB? 

Thanks
Geoff

Documentation, labels,
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf