Author Topic: The Autodesk Eagle edition  (Read 193324 times)

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
Re: The Autodesk Eagle edition
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 04:44:15 pm »
I also just received "the great news".

The new licensing model makes Eagle dead to me.  Feels like a re-run of the 7.0 licensing fiasco.

I've been paying for the unlimited, full version (layout/schematic/router) for over 15 years (since v3.5, I think).  That's no minor investment.  And I will vote with my money and stay on 7.7 until they change the licensing, or I move irreversibly to another CAD system.

I simply won't have another entity in control of when, where, and to what level of functionality a piece of software that is critical to my business will run at any given time.

Their marketing justification that Microsoft, Adobe, and others do rent-ware is meaningless.  Who does this licensing model really serve?  (That's a rhetorical question.)

Too bad.  I was looking forward to the modular design feature which was only partially implemented in 7.x, and more router enhancements.  They can keep it.

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker, XFDDesign

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 06:00:32 pm »
I'm another paying customer who'll be staying on 7.7. What a joke. At first glance I wouldn't even say there's much of an improvement in 8 anyway. Still rubbish on high DPI displays. (The buttons on the left become so tiny they're unusable.) Still rubbish with a touchscreen or stylus.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 06:52:01 pm »
Where can I obtain a copy of the EULA or "license agreement" to read? 

My searches on the AutoDesk Eagle site for "license" or "EULA" led to blank screens.

And yes, I am one of those people who actually reads a new contract before forking over any money.

John

The following users thanked this post: XFDDesign

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 07:03:08 pm »
Thank you Autodesk for help promoting KiCad ;)

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, Harrkev

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »
Hi

So ....where can you download a legit copy of 7.7? That appears to be the last version that my "perpetual" license applies to. Also, when I need to re-seat that license (due to a computer upgrade) ... how do I regenerate the license stuff?

Why do I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy about the answers to any Eagle questions from here on out? ....

Bob

Offline EBRAddict

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 07:35:16 pm »
As a user with a perpetual non-commercial Eagle Make license, I won't be paying $500 a year to get the same functionality I already have.

If I'd known Autodesk was buying Eagle last year I would *never* have bought a license.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 07:38:37 pm »
I'm in the same boat: I need far more than the "free" version provides. I'm a hobbyist who happens to do 6 to 8 layer boards with signals on all the layers. Their "perpetual" license (barely) made sense, but I paid for it. Now I seem to have hit a dead end. There simply is no way that my use of the product is worth $500 a year. That seems to be the only option I have going forward.

Offline termi

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 07:54:51 pm »
Couldn't find the old version anywhere on the Autodesk website, but link below still points to V7.7 if anyone wants to download a legit version before they remove it:

http://www.cadsoft.de/download/

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »
@Uncle_Bob

Every time I fire up my 7.2.0 version I get a message that 7.7.0 is available.   I clicked on the configure last week and downloaded, but did not install it yet.

It may also be on the Autodesk site, but I haven't checked.

John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:57:12 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:19 pm »
Couldn't find the old version anywhere on the Autodesk website, but link below still points to V7.7 if anyone wants to download a legit version before they remove it:

http://www.cadsoft.de/download/

THANKS !! The link worked for me.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 08:04:52 pm »
Here you can find al versions and without the need to register:

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program/

Grab it before Autodesk removes it...

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 08:21:56 pm »
I am a full version paid professional user - will not even consider a subscription. It works for some software products, but not this one. I specifically want a locked down piece of software. I will decide and control the rollout of updates. I have done SolidWorks and MasterCAM like that since 1998. It keeps me safe, just the way I like it.

Internet required is an instant NO.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Zom-B

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:36 pm »
See that subscribe button in the image of OP (actually scrolled below the screen)?  I did that, and you know what, I never got an email that it was released and only found out now.

Not that it matters though, I can't use it! Bloody sign-in prompt. DELETE!

Now I need to look for another free package that isn't Eagle, Diptrace, KiCad, DesignSpark  or Altium Designer (all tried and ditched)

[edit] Or perpetually stay at 7.7, but I rather not as I borderline ditched that because of many frustrations.
[Edit] Added DesignSpark to the list
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:18:45 pm by Zom-B »

Offline bghende

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 08:52:30 pm »
Basically every software tool in every industry is going to a subscription model. Better get used to it.

On the plus side:
* the software only has to "phone home" every 30 days
* if you only need occasional access to the tools it can be a lot cheaper

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:54 pm »
Microsoft and Adobe have the option which is great. For example, I was able to get Adobe Premier on subscription to get started. If I have a need, I can buy the standalone version and lock myself in. Once I have a work flow established for a process, I don't want to change unless the change offers a real improvement in the big scheme of things.

In PCB design, I don't want anything to change until I am ready to test a new version. If I decide to go another route in the future I want full and complete access to my legacy data.

I stopped updating SolidWorks in 2013 because they have not added a single must have feature since then. The next upgrade will likely be only for compatibility with Win10.

I am not trying to save money as much as I want stability, predictability, and long term legacy access. Just give me the option to buy a package with a year of maintenance as a perpetual license.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »
Basically every software tool in every industry is going to a subscription model. Better get used to it.

Every software tool being housed by the larger organizations that ceased to innovate and chose to just buy up other products, is going this route, to that I would agree. I have no obligation to 'get used to it.' I paid my $1,200~ due for my license of Eagle Pro. It still functions, independent of needing the latest and greatest. If I have to maintain a dedicated legacy PC to do my PCBs (assuming I've not switched to KiCad), then that is what i'll do. I can buy a new, basic, PC for $250, and it will last far longer than a single annual license on this new shakedown.

Ultimately, someone will come along and figure out how to bundle together the real basic functionality needed in a schematic capture and layout package which parallels Eagle (granted it will be a new learning curve), and not operate on the ridiculous subscription model, and they will get my money. I bought Eagle precisely because it wasn't the other packages which went similar ways.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 09:10:53 pm »
Waiting for Autodesk to respond to this now!  :popcorn:

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:07 pm »
The axe has finally dropped. The CAD companies need continuing profits or they will not bother continuing to support this kind of tool because they are greedy bastards and have always been. For professionals who are continuously doing designs the $500 a year price per seat is not in issue. Its just the cost of doing business. For others who just do a few things a year or small companies with long standing products this is a real shaft. We fit into the category and will continue loafing along on our previous purchased in full Lic. until we cant use it anymore.  At that time if subscription is the only option available, apart from open source of course, we will most likely just jump up to one seat of Altium and it will just be "The company" pcb design workstation. Cadsoft was no prize, but this is just big business trying to fleece small business.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:07 pm »
I rather have a pay per use model my self. A lot of software is only needed a few times a year unless you make money with it in which case it is ok.
But lets face it a lot of people do not make money with the software, they use it for themselves.
If every business (not only software) is going to charge you a fixed fee per month, if you use their business or not, your salary won't cut it.

Offline pa3weg

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 09:23:02 pm »
I am going to chime in here as well.

My company owns 30 licenses for EAGLE professional, but without the autorouter module.
We have been steadily upgrading while our company grew, but it looks indeed like 7 is the last version we will be using.

I am hoping that the same will happen as what happened to 7.0: users will drop it like a brick.
CadSoft quickly realised that this was a massive fail and removed the license manager again.
We have never tried 7.0 as I sent an E-mail at the time holding off our upgrade purchase until the license manager was gone.

Some requirements that we have:
- Linux and Windows support
- flat-fee model
- no internet connectivity requirement
- trust based licensing model, where I am honest as a user and they are honest as a supplier

I have upgraded to 30 licenses for the company based on the fact that I would not want to screw over a company that produces a great product for a neat price.

Will not upgrade unless they fix it. No feature makes us switch to subscription based.

EDIT: We are not even using 30 concurrent licenses! we have many people that only VIEW PCBs and not even need EAGLE. I will gladly buy everyone a license that needs one. But with the current pricing, it just does not work financially!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:35:22 pm by pa3weg »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »

Actually this is decision of the market. If users move to non-subscription software, software companies are forced to move in the same direction to make money.

Offline pa3weg

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 09:50:19 pm »
Actually this is decision of the market. If users move to non-subscription software, software companies are forced to move in the same direction to make money.

Indeed, and I do hope people take a stand against this nonsense.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 09:50:51 pm »
Hi

Subscription at a rational price - fine.

License forever at a rational price  - fine.

License forever that suddenly goes away when somebody on the other end changes their mind - not so much.

License forever that has no equivalent subscription - not so much.

I do *not* agree that $500 a year is a "trivial" expense for a program with as many issues as Eagle in a professional environment. We spend way more than that (per seat per year) on the stuff we use at work. We get way more as well .....

The bigger issue in a lot of this is keeping compatibility with older files. In a business, that's a really big deal. The cost of manually re-entering a 10 year old design when there is a change - yikes !!! In a home environment, maybe not quite as big an issue. Simply randomly hopping between programs is not a viable solution. The file conversion stuff is always a "sort of works ... but ... errr" kind of thing.

Bob

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 10:30:06 pm »
I'm another paying customer who'll be staying on 7.7. What a joke. At first glance I wouldn't even say there's much of an improvement in 8 anyway. Still rubbish on high DPI displays. (The buttons on the left become so tiny they're unusable.) Still rubbish with a touchscreen or stylus.

Hi Fred,

You can scale the icons so that it works on HDPI displays. Go to the EAGLE control panel > Options > User Interface on the right side there is a field that says icon size.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Autodesk Support

Offline jgarc063

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:58 pm »
Where can I obtain a copy of the EULA or "license agreement" to read? 

My searches on the AutoDesk Eagle site for "license" or "EULA" led to blank screens.

And yes, I am one of those people who actually reads a new contract before forking over any money.

John

Hello John,

I hope you're doing well. You can find the licensing agreement here:
http://download.autodesk.com/us/FY17/Suites/LSA/en-US/lsa.html

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Autodesk Support

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf