Author Topic: tracing nets across multiple sheets  (Read 6936 times)

Offline vini_iTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
tracing nets across multiple sheets
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:17 am »
how do you track nets across multiple schematic sheets?
i've been working with several layouts made by other people. the design is quite large and spans multiple sheets. for example sheet one has a atmega 1280 and all of the support circuitry. a second sheet has a atmega 328p with all the support circuitry. the two chips are connected with uart lines. the uart lines use nets with labels on both ends. i know that these are connected and it's easy to track. but there are others that i don't know where they go and reading every single net on every single page is tedious and possibly impossible.

i've tried using the search tool but it only takes me to one location. if i'm on sheet with the 1280 and i search U2TX it will show me the net on the 1280. if i'm on the sheet with the 328 it will show me the 1280 again.

is there any way to track every net with the same name?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: tracing nets across multiple sheets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:19:57 am »
Gaaaaah! :scared:

This is what happens when people don't learn how to draw proper diagrams.

My condolences.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:13 am »
follow up question,
what would be the correct way to draw this?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:42:32 am »
Use wires, not names, so they can be followed (use names in addition) - with emphasis on avoiding the commonly resulting pile of spaghetti. Group them into buses when it aids readability (so you don't have a hundred wires crossing each other); use a top-level hierarchical view to interconnect the sheets (I assume EAGLE supports this). If a signal takes a distant path, put a note by each end stating where the other end is. And if its not too much of a pain in EAGLE, rearrange component pins to group like signals together, making it easier to interconnect directly.

Remember, your diagrams are as much for the human reading them as they are for the netlist generator. Put some thought into how you want to present the information in them - it'll go a long way to avoiding confusion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:47:04 am by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »
i've tried using the search tool but it only takes me to one location. if i'm on sheet with the 1280 and i search U2TX it will show me the net on the 1280. if i'm on the sheet with the 328 it will show me the 1280 again.

is there any way to track every net with the same name?

Try a 'SHOW U2TX' command - that should highlight the specified net wherever it occurs in the schematic - unfortunately the free version that I use doesn't support more than a single schematic page, so I can't test whether it works across pages but hopefully it does...

Also, to add to c4757p's advice (which is fine advice as it is), the LABEL command in EAGLE (used to show the net name near each net in your screenshot) supports an XREF flag, which can allegedly automatically include the page number and location of the next net segment; again this is something I can't test with my license, but might be worth experimenting with to see what happens.

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 03:16:22 pm »
Eagle (AFAIK in version 5/6) has no way of having a top-level schematic. So this shit happens a lot to me!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 01:43:22 am »
thank you for all your suggestions. the show command works reasonably well. it shows every net with said name on the sheet. if on another sheet it shows the net on that sheet.

the xref you were referring to works as well. i found that if placing a label on a net with xref enabled, it will show the sheet number dot frame column, frame row.

this works on already existing schematics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf