Author Topic: using net verses wire on lite version.  (Read 6649 times)

Offline eightbitsTopic starter

using net verses wire on lite version.
« on: July 21, 2012, 03:53:09 pm »
Hello, I have just started using Eagle, 5.12.0 for Linux Lite version and I also have the lite version on
my XP PRO laptop.

After viewing several on line videos it seems that I can either use the wire tool or the net tool to specify
connections. I am not clear on the best way to use the two different methods.

Although I have not reached the point to layout a board, just experimenting from a simple schematic,
I noticed that the part, in this case a 7805 regulator (not SMT) places the full outline of the part.
I am thinking that there must be a way to just place the actual mounting holes for the part without
displaying the outline.

I am looking forward to the ability to use Eagle to design a few simple project boards.
The schematic generation is pretty awesome!

This looks like an excellent forum and I look forward to participating.

Thanks in advance.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: using net verses wire on lite version.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:52:08 pm »
Hello, I have just started using Eagle, 5.12.0 for Linux Lite version and I also have the lite version on
my XP PRO laptop.

I recommend to update to the latest version v6.2.0 which has more features and less bugs.

After viewing several on line videos it seems that I can either use the wire tool or the net tool to specify
connections. I am not clear on the best way to use the two different methods.

Net is used for busses. Instead of drawing 8 lines for a 8 bit bus you simply draw a single bus and define all signals. Then you connect all signals to the bus. You may also add supply lines and so on.

Although I have not reached the point to layout a board, just experimenting from a simple schematic,
I noticed that the part, in this case a 7805 regulator (not SMT) places the full outline of the part.
I am thinking that there must be a way to just place the actual mounting holes for the part without
displaying the outline.

You can disable the display of certain layers like documentation. Or are you talking about vertical v.s horizontal mounting. In that case you can change the package of the device (if available in the lib).

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:56 pm »
Net is used for busses.

I was thinking that there is a 'buss' tool that does that. I haven't got to the point of using that yet.
There is the wire tool and there is a net tool and as you mentioned there is a tool to handle a buss.
I did observe on one tutorial using the wire command and another using the net tool. I see that there is also a buss tool that looks like the net tool. I thought I read somewhere that using the wire tool did not make connections(?).

I am thinking that useing the net tool is different than using the buss tool.

I just recently installed Eagle and thought I might have the latest version. I am using the lite version.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:15 am »
I thought I read somewhere that using the wire tool did not make connections(?).

This is correct.  The 'Wire' tool should really be called 'Line' or something other than 'Wire.'  It is just a drawing tool.  Like 'Circle', 'Arc', etc.

Use 'Net' and 'Bus' for connecting components.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41:18 pm »
The funny thing is that the wire tool connects components but you can't connect a bus. The net tool does both. Maybe someone knowing the old eagle versions can give a hint which of both came first.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. A lot of learning to go  :)

So far I am using only for schematic capture. Seems to be very good.

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »
the other good thing about net vs wire in eagle is that net automatically adds junctions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf