Author Topic: Adding new transistor model to LTSpice  (Read 10861 times)

Offline NDaniTopic starter

• Contributor
Adding new transistor model to LTSpice
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:16:53 pm »
Dear Forum members,

I have seen some instructions about how to extend the library of transistor models in LTSpice, e.g.: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/adding-new-transistors-to-ltspice.125232/ (Comment #2) or http://www.home.hs-karlsruhe.de/~klal0001/download_frei/Externe%20Spice-Modelle%20in%20LTspice%20einbinden.pdf (German).

They both say that one can open the library of built-in transistors ("C:\Program Files\LTC\C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\lib\cmp\standard.bjt") and paste the .model definition to it. After saving the file, one should see the new transistor model in the list that appears when one right clicks a transistor on the schematic in LTSpic and clicks "Pick New Transistor".

I have tried this method, but the new transistor does not appear in the list. In fact, any changes made to the standard.bjt file seems to be ignored by LTSpice. I can even delete the file or the whole cmp folder, it will have no effect (i.e. the default transistor list appears in LTSPice), neither after restarting LTSpice nor after restarting the computer.

I am using LTSPice XVII.

Can you help me finding out what causes this behavior? Do you think the method I was trying to use should work?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: Adding new transistor model to LTSpice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:05:46 pm »
...one can open the library of built-in transistors ("C:\Program Files\LTC\C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\lib\cmp\standard.bjt") and paste the .model definition to it.

Some redundancy there - I think you mean C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\lib\cmp\standard.bjt however you may find LTspice is actually using %USERPROFILE%\Documents\LTSpiceXVII\lib\cmp\standard.bjt

There is also a config file (but the registry may also be used) over at %APPDATA%\LTspiceXVII.ini

Offline NDaniTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Adding new transistor model to LTSpice
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:43:17 am »
Yes, sorry, I made a mistake while pasting the path here, but you got the point. :)

And yes, indeed, modifying the file in the alternative folder you gave solved it. Thank you!  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf