Author Topic: Altium VS Cadstar  (Read 11642 times)

Offline hamdi.tnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Altium VS Cadstar
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
So am using Altium for like 3 years and now am asked if i can use CadStar for some project where schematics and pcb are made with cadstar and need to be modified. Since i never used it, can anyone used both software share his experience, thanks  ^-^

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Altium VS Cadstar
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »
crapstar ..  :-DD

i thought that died long ago...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
hhhhhhh  :-DD
apparently it did not ... some ppl still buy the license too :palm:
that's exactly the kind of answer i was waiting for short and meaningful  :-DD thanks  :D

Offline Mattylad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:14 pm »
Hamdi, it sounds like the poster above is not very conversant with CADSTAR itself as this is often the reply from people that are not trained in how to use CAD packages.
It's a perfectly usable PCB package capable of producing perfectly good PCB's.
I have used it for over 20+ years - what do you want to know?
Matty
CID+

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »
@mattylad : fyi : i have been designing PCB's for at least 30 years . Last time i saw cadstar was in the late 1990's after that i have never encountered it anymore. I daily encounter tools like Allegro, PADs,  Dx Designer , EMC , Orcad and many others. My main tool is Altium.

Cadstar is the neglected child of Zuken. They acquired this from another company ( name escapes me now, it was british ) and have pretty much orphaned it to bring people into their own breed of tools . much like Cadence has orphaned Orcad PCB.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »
well am asked by client that use CADStar if i can pass from altium to CADStar for our future project and to be able to modify more quickly existent board drawn with CADStart. The problem for me is switching to an other software mean too much time will be wasted by the team in order to pass from a software to an other, So knowing the features that both software have is it worthy. I saw CADStar on Google wasn't really impressed by the looks of it but am interested to know if it's as capable/Easy to use as Altium.

Offline Mattylad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »
So not very conversant with the current CADSTAR application then  :-DD

CADSTAR (not CADStar) like other tools has its own quirks and ways of doing thing, but like other tools (i.e. Altium) it works for what it needs to do.
Many many years ago CADSTAR came from Racal Redac, so it has a history. Just like Altium or Mentor tools do - they all come from somewhere.
However it is not forgotten by Zuken, it is updated every year, and if you learn how to use it (just like any other CAD package) IS easy to use.
Having used it for the past 20+ years there is virtually nothing I cannot do in it as I find it very flexible - but then I have learnt how to use it.

But this should not be a bitching thread about CAD packages, Hamdi wants help in modifying a board.

So Hamdi what do you need to know? What have you learnt about what you need to do already?

Have you got a CADSTAR installation and library already or do you need this?

Have you looked at the process or read the documentation?

Is your employer looking to move from Altium to CADSTAR for all PCB designs or do you just want to modify a single design?
If moving then can you get them to provide you with training to show you how easy it can be?
Matty
CID+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:58:44 pm »
hhhhh my question isn't technical, i didn't have problem with using it am sure it will not be such a problem once start using it, and as you said , everything take it's time.
The thing is i am the employer  ::) and it's for me to take the decision of move or not to move to CADSTAR , and since i don't know the tool like i already said. I asked if it is worth the effort and time and cost to move, it's not a single board modification it's a long term arrangement with this particular customer.

So what i needed to know is if anyone who tried BOTH of them to tell me if he is more comfortable working with this than that, cause am not welling to put my team on pressure of learning something that is not really worthy compared to what they use now.

Hope it's clear now what kinf of information am looking for :D

Offline Mattylad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:14:07 pm »
Ah... so your looking at a whole package move.

Then a lot depends upon many factors, what are you prepared to budget in creating new libraries, training for your team (an untrained user is a poorly informed user and cannot use the tool correctly), do you need to be able to import Altium files into CADSTAR or are you prepared to draw a line in the sand and only use it for future projects? What sort of technology are you currently designing and looking for in your package?
i.e. are you using high speed, multi BGA, DDR etc or are you just making relatively simple, low speed interfaces etc?

IMO if you simply download the express\demo version of V15 and then try to use it you will likely be put off just like I would when sat in front of Altium or any other package  :scared:

Simplified - You create symbols, components and then parts for your library (throw away the provided one), setup schematic templates, add parts to the schematic, connect them up, setup route widths to control the track width etc then transfer to PCB, you setup the layer structure you want, create a board outline (manually or DXF\IDF in) place components, transfer into the router and then route your tracks, flood fill copper shapes for your planes etc. transfer back to the PCB editor, finish the board off, produce manufacturing files (Gerber or ODB++).

I suspect this process is very similar for other packages - its just how you do it that is slightly different, the result is the same - a Green board thingy. (other colours are available)
Matty
CID+

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 12:24:45 am »
IMHO you should make at least 2 designs with a CAD package before you can make an informed decission. With respect to the question Altium versus Cadstar: I think Altium is the bigger mainstream package which is more likely to be future proof. When I get to modify an existing board made in a different package it is usually quicker for me to redraw the whole thing than messing with a CAD package I don't know how to use to it's full extend. Most of the work in a PCB is in the component placement.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 07:24:48 am »
I suspect this process is very similar for other packages - its just how you do it that is slightly different, the result is the same - a Green board thingy. (other colours are available)

green will be enough  :-DD

IMHO you should make at least 2 designs with a CAD package before you can make an informed decission. With respect to the question Altium versus Cadstar: I think Altium is the bigger mainstream package which is more likely to be future proof. When I get to modify an existing board made in a different package it is usually quicker for me to redraw the whole thing than messing with a CAD package I don't know how to use to it's full extend. Most of the work in a PCB is in the component placement.

i share the same opinion, it's quicker to redraw it, i already answered his request that way.
Thanks  ;)  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf