Author Topic: Any experience with JLC PCB house in china?  (Read 69084 times)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Re: Any experience with JLC PCB house in china?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2018, 08:07:10 pm »
I just want to know what they offered for other youtubers.

They messaged me on facebook saying they will provide money and free pcbs. So I wonder how much money? and how much pcbs?
Try to ping directly e.g. GreatScott! (https://www.youtube.com/user/greatscottlab) and/or Julian Ilett (https://www.youtube.com/user/julius256)

I don't think they will answer, I am sure they have tons of emails. Worth the try though. I thought we have one here that has same experience.

Offline Phoxtane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2018, 05:26:42 am »
I ordered some boards from JLCPCB on the 16th (May 2018). I suspect they'll arrive sometime this week, but until they do I won't be able to comment on their quality and such. My boss at work suspects that they won't show up, but I suspect he's wrong!

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2018, 08:06:13 am »
Although i am a solid supporter of JLCPCB and have placed more than 20 orders with them over a 5-6 months period plus i buy most of the parts from LCSC which is the same company really, my recent experience with them is totally disappointing. Not in terms of quality of pcb or anything else but for their complete inability to follow shipping instructions. Long story sort, in order to avoid customs and delays due to customs etc, i decided to place my last order in 5-6 parts making sure each part had a prototype PCB and a few parts with total value of no more than 25$ which is the tax free limit. Indeed two such ordered arrived last week, faster than usual and without customs.
Now, you might wonder why the hell would i like to pay more in shipping and split a 100$ order into 5-6 25$ segments. It is simple.. customs clearance fee is 15 Euro for anything above 25$ it was less than a month ago when i paid 21 euro for a 29$ order from JLCPCB/LCSC... and this was declared for less than 20$ but customs asked for payment receipt/invoice so i paid 80% of its value in customs clearance fee and 24% vat.
I send them several emails asking them to make sure the pcb/parts orders ship out as ordered with actual declared value or the parts value at least so when requested, i can present matching payment statement and invoice to customs and get my order as soon as possible.
JLCPCB at some point prior to shipping my orders and despite assuring me all was going to be ok, told me they were going to ship all pcbs in one package and all parts in another which i refused right away explaining to them that i purposely paid extra in shipping and place my orders this way in order to avoid customs hustle.
They responded telling me they understand and a few days later i got a tracking number for each shipment.
I waited and last week i received the first two packages without any problems, tax free as expected.. Even if customs requested proof of value, i would have emailed them actual data and only loose a few days in customs.

But i noticed the rest of the tracking numbers but one did not trace ...
I emailed them only to find out they actually packaged all pcb and all parts together and as far as they tell me put actual declared value on them...
So, i paid some 10-20$ extra shipping to avoid customs and i will have to pay at least 60 euro in customs clearance fees and taxes.

On top of that they "play" me with emails not offering any actual help or solution.. Honestly, had i not needed thos pcbs and parts and had i not had orderes pending with some of these parts, i would act differently.
But the point is, customs requested payment statements and invoice for the first package which arrived in Athens last week. I dont know the declared value jlcpcb does not tell me since Friday and i dont see getting this damn package before next week....

Offline Phoxtane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2018, 06:57:07 pm »
My boards have arrived:

They're certainly not as high quality as the OSH Park boards, but they're good enough for what I need, and the electrical connections seem to be in order.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2018, 06:17:48 am »
Does anyone here try DHL shipping from them? I did since it is a sponsorship.

I wanted to know about customs. Does your package arrive at the post office just like any other package? or does it arrive at DHL office (which is not inside post office building)?

I read people say DHL pays customs for you already then you pay it once you take your package, is it correct?

Either way I hope they don't charge much since it is 2$ package anyway.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2018, 11:06:29 am »
Long story sort, in order to avoid customs and delays due to customs etc, i decided to place my last order in 5-6 parts making sure each part had a prototype PCB and a few parts with total value of no more than 25$ which is the tax free limit.
I don't mean to downplay your experience or frustration, but could you just submit orders over a period of time such that they'd be shipped separately anyway? Or submit orders with different shipping addresses. (Subtle differences in addresses that would result in all the packages being delivered to the same physical place, but not combinable by a computer/automated algorithm?) Or use different accounts [which makes it a pain to chase down re-orders, but I'm guessing that's a corner case of sorts).

I face the opposite problem: I don't want to pay $20 every spin for every board, so I want to batch up orders to ship together. (It's hard to beat the cheap out of me.)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2018, 11:44:05 am »
Long story sort, in order to avoid customs and delays due to customs etc, i decided to place my last order in 5-6 parts making sure each part had a prototype PCB and a few parts with total value of no more than 25$ which is the tax free limit.
I don't mean to downplay your experience or frustration, but could you just submit orders over a period of time such that they'd be shipped separately anyway? Or submit orders with different shipping addresses. (Subtle differences in addresses that would result in all the packages being delivered to the same physical place, but not combinable by a computer/automated algorithm?) Or use different accounts [which makes it a pain to chase down re-orders, but I'm guessing that's a corner case of sorts).

I face the opposite problem: I don't want to pay $20 every spin for every board, so I want to batch up orders to ship together. (It's hard to beat the cheap out of me.)

How much customs do you pay? and how many boards?

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2018, 11:56:19 am »
In Greece and in EU (since this is EU directive) all items over 22 euro/25$ are taxable. Hellenic Post charges 15 euro customs clearance fee plus 25% VAT on top of total value of the package incl shipping cost. Last time for 29$ value i paid 20+ euro.. when the declared value is under the taxable limit, they sometimes ask for payment statement and invoice otherwise, if declared value is over the limit you pay 15 euro no matter what and on top of that 24% vat... point is for remote areas like the one i live, they dont take the declared value as taxable value but usually add 50% to it... You can dispute it and send them proof of value etc but this means they can open the package and scrutinize the contents (ie you buy a DMM from an online store abroad on sale with coupon and save 50% total.. you pay say 50$... if they can find the same DMM in a local store online with a price tag 50% over the price you'd pay before the discount, they will then ask you to pay based on the higher price they can find, eliminating your effort to locate the bargain price)...

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »

My choice is either to order everything and as much as i can in one order combined shipping and all which means upon delivery i pay 15 euro and 24% vat on top of whatever price customs see fit for the package usually up to 50% over declared value and dispute this for an added couple weeks and possible rejection of the dispute if they can find higher prices online for similar or same items or, split order to no more than 25$ actual value then send them proof of said value if they want verification otherwise packages arrive tax free and much sooner

This i did with my last 6-7 orders from jlcpcb/lcsc and although i emailed them several times to make sure they are shipped as ordered and with declared value that i could match with payment statements and invoices if needed, they told me they wanted to combine them which i denied and they even acknowledged to ship as instructed and ordered. Instead they issues tracking numbers for each order but still combined them in two packages with declared values i cannot match... First package they declared for 2.05$ ... customs are not idiots.. i send them two matching statements/invoices and was lucky enough to have them release it today but i dont know for sure its tax free or what.. second package worth 56$ they declared for 50$.. i am sure i cannot present matching statements/invoices and in any way i will pay at least 30 euro and perhaps more... had jlcpcb followed not my instructions but shipped the orders as they got them (and i paid extra shipping this way) there would be no reason to discuss this now...

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »
had jlcpcb followed not my instructions but shipped the orders as they got them (and i paid extra shipping this way) there would be no reason to discuss this now...
100% agree! Not trying to "defend" JLC here. I'm just trying to figure out things that are under you control that might provide ways that you can get what you want at an attractive price.

I agree that you shouldn't "have to", but it's often a lot easier to change something on your end than to convince a company to change something on their end reliably.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2018, 12:20:47 pm »
had jlcpcb followed not my instructions but shipped the orders as they got them (and i paid extra shipping this way) there would be no reason to discuss this now...
100% agree! Not trying to "defend" JLC here. I'm just trying to figure out things that are under you control that might provide ways that you can get what you want at an attractive price.

I agree that you shouldn't "have to", but it's often a lot easier to change something on your end than to convince a company to change something on their end reliably.
All they had to do was ship my orders aa ordered and paid for.... they not only combined shipments but they did so even after i denied it and insisted on them shipping as ordered. This is not me trying to change them but sinply asking them to fulfill my orders as paid for

Offline Del Tapparo

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2018, 01:47:27 pm »
Yes! So far all bad !

I sent them a Gerber file that was originally made in ExpressPCB. In that system, I had used the silkscreen layer for some notes, and one component had a silkscreen outside of the board outline. They told me the board outline wouldn't work. I spent more $$$ with ExpressPCB (which is an outstanding company by the way) to fix it in their system. Sent the new Gerber. They still say they can't make it. So I sent the same Gerber file to PCBway ... no problem. PCBway made the boards and delivered in 14 days.

So I gave JLCPCB another chance and ordered a board created in their easyEDA system. By the way, they claim free shipping on your first order, but it isn't! I have now been waiting 6 weeks for my boards. They claim 2-4 weeks via their "Airmail". I doubt that I will ever see them.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2018, 02:31:19 pm »
JLC PCB are the first Chinese manufacturer I have used, just for two small designs but I am pleased with the service so far.
The online order process is simple enough and the online gerber viewer works quite well.
I used the DHL service, which essentially means a total cost of about GBP20 for 10 boards under 10x10cm, double sided.

Given that the boards have arrived in 6 days (including weekend days) to the UK, I think they are great value.

I have no connection to JLC other than being a happy customer and have not been incentivised to write this.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:00 pm »
User Vegeta was asking about DHL -

DHL deliver to your door, tracking works very well.
For UK there are no extra fees/import duties or VAT if goods are declared under GBP39. So, no worries for the JLC PCB double sided 10x10cm shipped by DHL option.
http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/customs_support/duties_taxes/duties_taxes_receivers.html
In both shipments I have had, JLC PCB made the declaration in USD as per price I paid (so don't expect them to declare under value).

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:50 pm »
User Vegeta was asking about DHL -

DHL deliver to your door, tracking works very well.
For UK there are no extra fees/import duties or VAT if goods are declared under GBP39. So, no worries for the JLC PCB double sided 10x10cm shipped by DHL option.
http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/customs_support/duties_taxes/duties_taxes_receivers.html
In both shipments I have had, JLC PCB made the declaration in USD as per price I paid (so don't expect them to declare under value).

Actually I never paid for the boards since it is a support for my channel.

So can I tell JLCPCB to declare the value on the package? if so, then would it help avoid customs?

I am in Jordan and it is the first time I ever use DHL.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2018, 07:33:23 pm »
Got my first ever created PCB today, that I made with EasyEDA.

I do not have much experience, but I like the quality. The finer silkscreen is somewhat hard to read, but it is only about 1.5mm high and still readable, so i am quite happy with that. (It looked bigger in the Software ;)).
They placed the manufacturing code quite smart in my opinion, it is placed within the silk outline of a connector, so it will be invisible after assembly. And finally, what I especially like is that the boards are all fully routed.  :-+ That surprised me the most to be honest.
Shipping was incredibly fast, faster than some packages within germany take. I ordered on friday afternoon last week, they shipped on tuesday and the package arrived this thursday morning, so less that 6 days in total.
Interesting is that the package was declared with the proper roughly 42$ I paid, but it went through customs without problems, and I did not have to pay anything. Normally DHL collects on delivery as far as i know.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2018, 01:20:15 pm »
For you DHL experts:

I now have the shipment number at DHL and delivery date is 5-June-2018. However, will it be delivered to my home address or DHL local office? I put my home address but I am not there, I reside in south for work and only get back once a month.

So if DHL wanted to deliver to my home (which only has my mother in it now) and they didn't find me or contacted me and I told them so... what happens? will they put it in their local office so I can get it at any time?

Also, what about customs and charges?

As for JLCPCB, they are the ones that issued the shipment so I wonder if DHL asks for the total price of the shipment at that time... so when it comes they already know it is low value and government customs won't interfere that much. Because they always have to investigate the shipments to decide... and here we start to describe the damn item to them and they argue a lot to make you feel that they "let you go this time" because they are nice and you are bad...

or should I open a general discussion thread?

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2018, 03:34:24 pm »
I have no idea about your local regulations, a lot of what DHL does is likely guided by those.
Generally, if you buy from a proper seller internationally, the contents and the value of the package, including shipping, are declared on an invoice that is visible from outside the package. So any customs processing does not have to open the package. Of course they may still do a closer inspection for whatever reason. Cheap chinese sellers often declare the contents as gift with a value below the customs threshold. JLCPCB declared correctly.

In Germany, if there is any customs duty you have to pay, DHL generally does that for you. But that service comes at a price: DHL takes a fee of around 10 euro you have to pay when the package is delivered, in addition to the customs fee of course ;)

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2018, 03:41:04 am »
So if DHL wanted to deliver to my home (which only has my mother in it now) and they didn't find me or contacted me and I told them so... what happens? will they put it in their local office so I can get it at any time?

when i receive the jlcpcb shipping notice, I get a link to the DHL shipping tracker. there is an option to electronically release signature so they leave at my doorstep while I am away at work.

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2018, 08:43:24 pm »
JLPCB issue a bill to DHL with real amount, no fraud here, so DHL will ask you the import duty and (a hefty) amount of fee.
DHL now give you a link to pay them before delivery, be sure to print out pdf before paying, because you will not have links after (been here, done that...).

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:22 pm »
A tour of JLC's factory
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:15 am »
That guy is a good presenter. Impressed at the view count of 123K views in a day - for a PCB factory video :o

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2018, 04:06:47 pm »
Hi all,

Didn't know this.

Shizhou Chen replied to my comment/question on the Strange Parts YT video:-
"elecrow pcb from jlcpcb fab"

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Spark-Doctor

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2018, 06:42:38 pm »
This is the info you get when you place an order with them

Offline Aircheese

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2018, 09:57:47 am »
Hi All,

It is exciting that this "manufacturer" has finally provided overseas service.
I have been using JLC since my first PCB design back to 2010 when i was a first year university student, of course, in China.

A quotation marks of manufacturer more or less showing JLC is some different PCB manufacturer from others.
Back in 2010, he was only focus on sampling and small size productions. The way the make PCB is different from traditional PCB manufacturers.
The price was already acceptable to build some stuff for someone like me with very limited living budgets.

The price in that time is: 2 layers, under 5x5 CM, 10 pieces,  100RMB (13USD/ 7GBP) + shipping (22RMB, next day delivery), 3 days for manufacturing.
When i was graduated in 2014: they provided 4 layers 10x10cm  PCB with same price (100RMB) as above. And 2 layer cost only 50RMB.

I built a 350mm Quadcopter fully with PCB for my graduate project (attaches).
The structure is consisted by only 3 different 10 x 10 cm PCB pieces, and they costed only 150RMB.

However, the most improvement should be the capabilities instead of the manufacturing time or the cost.
They was only able to build 0.3mm holes, 6mil wire / 6mil clearance, no BGA, no impedance guarantee, 4 layers.
But now they have 0.2mm, 3.5mil/3.5mil, BGA, impedance guarantee, 6 layers, and event SMT
Note: The impedance and SMT are only available to Chinese quoting website. There are less options on English website.
If you want to check, please use any translating service: https://www.sz-jlc.com/home/index.html

Regards,
Aircheese
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:20:01 am by Aircheese »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf