Author Topic: Arrow Electronics Free Shipping  (Read 20411 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Arrow Electronics Free Shipping
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 12:11:23 am »
I had discarded Arrow many years ago due to a flaky commercial service at the time and recurrent stock issues.

After reading this thread I took a fresh look and I'm impressed by their prices and the shipping. At least they have made visible efforts.
Searching for a few random parts (amongst parts I've used in various projects and not *that* exotic), they still seem to have a big proportion of those that are non-stocked compared to Mouser or Digikey...
I will probably consider Arrow again but they still seem to have stock issues.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 04:06:47 am »
I ordered some items on Monday with their free shipping, but they still have not shipped anything. I wonder if the holiday screwed up their warehouse?

I agree with what everyone has been saying. Free shipping is addictive, packaging is excessive, and their parametric search interface is dreadful.

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 07:05:54 am »
Has Arrow stopped offering the free shipping deal? I tried to place an order but they seem to be charging shipping.

Have they stopped selling to direct consumers altogether? Because they seem to require a VAT ID as well.  :-\

Edit: I added a new address (same as old one) into my account and for some reason I wasn't required to give a VAT ID on that one. And it looks like the free shipping has been removed on some carriers, but not all.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:24:34 am by JackJones »

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 02:39:04 pm »
The home page banner on free shipping is gone, but I searched and selected for a few items, and they all were listed as free overnight shipping.  So if for example you go to the 74hc4017 in DIP, and look over to the right where you add it to your cart, there's a link for "+FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING - DETAILS".  I've reproduced below what it says.  But I haven't made a purchase recently, so I don't know if shipping is actually still free or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 1-Day Shipping on Arrow.com
Free 1-Day Shipping - No Minimum Order
Add the items you wish to purchase to your cart and overnight shipping is free when you check out. Everything we sell ships free overnight. Discount is automatically applied at checkout. No code needed.  It's that simple.

For a limited time only, receive free US ground and international shipping on every order placed on www.arrow.com. All orders receive free overnight shipping (US domestic orders only) or free priority international shipping (international orders). Free shipping will automatically be applied at checkout and includes select carriers and shipping methods.  To have order shipped same day with overnight shipping, orders must be placed before 8pm ET for air shipments.  Cut-off time for all ground shipments is 11pm ET.  Orders placed after cut-off times, will be shipped on the next business day. Orders containing hazardous materials may not ship same day and may ship on a ground shipping method. Free shipping is available only if customer selects Arrow’s shipping account at checkout.  Free overnight shipping does not apply to purchases made on www.arrow.com/MyArrow and purchases made on components.arrow.com

Free overnight shipping for all US domestic orders applies to FedEx Standard Overnight.  Free domestic ground shipping with $20 threshold for FedEx Ground and USPS First Class.  Free priority international shipping for all international orders applies to FedEx International Priority.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
I recently ordered parts from Arrow. This was free shipping. I had no issues with this order, and the pricing is good.

As I noted above, they still have a lot of non-stocked parts, which is annoying.
Another annoying thing I noted upong delivery (which may seem a detail, but worth noting especially for the prototyping phases of your projects) is the following: their labels on bags only mention the part number with no description whatsoever. For passive parts, this is a nightmare when you are hand-sorting them!!  :palm:

Another point I noted (and I don't know whether this is usual or not): they tend to use very large bags for small parts. This is a huge waste of volume. The package itself was much larger than it should have been.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »
Yes, in my limited experience with Arrow, their packaging is not only bad business, but also an environmental disaster.  Well I exaggerate, but I thought Digikey was bad, and Arrow is even worse.  Also, all of my orders have been small.  I don't see how they can stay in business giving free overnight shipping to customers like me.  I'm sure what I pay them doesn't come close to paying their packaging and shipping costs, let alone the cost of the items.  But as long as they're willing to do it this way, they have my business.

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 04:31:15 am »
Has Arrow stopped offering the free shipping deal? I tried to place an order but they seem to be charging shipping.

Have they stopped selling to direct consumers altogether? Because they seem to require a VAT ID as well.  :-\

Edit: I added a new address (same as old one) into my account and for some reason I wasn't required to give a VAT ID on that one. And it looks like the free shipping has been removed on some carriers, but not all.

I did manage to place an order on the 29th. I received an email a couple of days later saying that there is a paypal error, they offered to send the money request again. I thought it was odd because my paypal said that the money is reserved just like it usually is. I just received the money request and it does not match my original order. They've apparently decided to add tax to it.  :-//

I don't know what the deal is here but I'm not exactly a happy customer.

Edit: They have apparently partially shipped the order already since I received a package today. I haven't actually paid anything yet, but they need to add VAT. They said they "need to look into getting this paid". I hope I'm not in trouble, cause I'm not going to pay any arbitrary amount they decide to add to the total after the fact.  :phew:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:03:52 pm by JackJones »

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »
Sorry for the repeated posts, but this is getting ridiculous..

Like I said, they already partially shipped my order before I had paid for it. The partial shipment is valued only at 2.5€, they often divide orders into multiple shipments.

Now they sent me a paypal request for 24,41€.  :--

I did ask them to cancel the order, but they said I have to pay for the items already shipped. Which is totally fair. But the items they shipped are only 2.5€, but they keep asking me more than my original checkout sum even was.

I never expected something like this from a supposedly reputable seller.

Edit: Now they are claiming that they shipped the order fully. I've only received 100 capacitors worth €2.50 and nothing else. Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? What was the outcome?

Edit2: Well, it took 10+ emails and a week to handle. They said that there was some error which wasn't taking into account the items cancelled and they thought I had received the full order and not just €2.50 worth. They waived the €2.50 charge in the end. I have to say this was very badly handled on their end.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:22:45 pm by JackJones »

Offline Andrew LB

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2019, 10:13:37 am »
Came across this thread while looking to see if there was any strings attached to this shipping deal since it's pretty much guaranteed they're losing money on any purchase under $40-$50 and it seemed a bit too good to be true. I placed an order for some Nichicon and TDK caps along with an alps k27 100k pot around 1pm yesterday and by the evening i received an email that it's been shipped and included a Fedex tracking number for overnight shipping by 10am. So far so good.
As for packaging, its not uncommon for companies to have a few set package sizes which allow for much more efficient palette shipping and so things don't get lost in transit. There's a reason why the USPS flat rate boxes are considerably cheaper to ship than your own smaller packaging. After reading this thread, it will be interesting to see how these items are packaged.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2019, 06:30:49 pm »
Has anyone else received a friendly phone call from dk offering support shortly after ordering from arrow?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 12:36:21 am »
Welcome, Andrew. Yep, the free shipping is for real. I'm sure they'd stop if all their orders were too low to support it. It'll be interesting to see if your shipment gets split.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 11:57:38 pm »
Looks like they have stopped, at least on small orders. The free shipping had me using Arrow pretty much exclusively lately then I went to order something today and now it says free shipping on orders over $50 with smaller orders having a $12.99 handling fee at which point it's cheaper for me to use DigiKey or Mouser. Seems it was a limited time promotion, oh well it was great while it lasted. Unfortunately it was the only compelling advantage they offered over other suppliers.

Offline mav_iqdirect

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 05:23:04 pm »
I'm bringing back old topic because today (February, 14, 2020) Arrow has cancelled again free shipping on all orders. But one can still have free shipping on $50+ orders if joining ArrowPerks program (available under My account page). Hope this will help somebody save some bucks  :)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2020, 04:20:58 am »
Shoot, they had it again? Wish I'd known. Unfortunately the free shipping promotion is the only time that Arrow is competitive, at least for the sort of small orders I place.

Offline Uky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2021, 11:37:22 am »
(A bit OT but...)

I have used DigiKey a few times over the years and they ship fast and accept PayPal or stright CreditCard payment but it is very much annoying that DK cannot handle VAT payment when placing the order. As a resident in Sweden, UPS collects the VAT just prior to delivery which is cumbersome to say the least. How does this compare to other distributors that sells and delivers to end (private) customers within the EU?

Offline bpiphany

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2021, 02:32:03 pm »
Mouser handles VAT payments in advance. The one reason I use them above Digikey (unless they have something particular that I need). I have found that Mouser usually has fewer "questions" on what the parts will be used for.

The following users thanked this post: Uky

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 11:24:10 pm »
Mouser handles VAT payments in advance. The one reason I use them above Digikey (unless they have something particular that I need). I have found that Mouser usually has fewer "questions" on what the parts will be used for.

Same here. Tired of the third degree from Digikey, and for some reason they wouldn't take American Express at the time on .au site but would on their domestic site. Now they're just too hard unless the only option.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf