Author Topic: Autodesk buys Eagle  (Read 93505 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: Autodesk buys Eagle
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:56:47 pm »
Wow. wow. wow. wow.  The last 'major' upgrade was such a joke. I feel like its past the point of putting lipstick on a pig - it will need a very fundamental change to re-join modern PCB layout challenges.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: antti

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:28 pm »
Well, if Autodesk bought them, then forget about anything that was somehow good on Eagle. It will likely become Windows only and an expensive slow piece of junk - as pretty much all software Autodesk has acquired over the years (Maya, 3D Studio, ...)

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:01:11 pm »
Autodesk buys Eagle

Wow, that will cause many ripples.

When the Big CAD Corporates  get involved, we can usually expect
* Spin rather than substance
* Bean counters having more say on what is done
* More time between big fixes
* lower end offering having more caveats and fish-hooks, as they are there to drive commercial business, remember.

This will also greatly worry Altium and Mentor, as Autodesk is no minnow, and has a lot of seats, with some overlap in users.

I'd expect this to boost KiCad's popularity.

There is code about to port Eagle Designs to KiCad - IIRC one version uses the Eagle script, so must have Eagle installed, the other runs as Python.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:12:15 pm »
Maya was never cheap.

They can't make Eagle worse either. It is barely passable and the passage of time is not making it any better. Not sure what they may do with OS options, but Windows is not the end of the world. I have come to the conclusion that having WinXP,, Win7, Win10, OSX, and Linux on my home and business network is the way to go. Every OS has its issues limitations and lack of support in certain areas. Windows, at the end of the day is the most versatile business choice. Linux is still a specialized nerd OS that you can't just throw at a department as the only option. OSX is expensive and Apple is too controlling. Most engineering and manufacturing software is not coded for OSX although they are great personal machines especially for creative work. If I had to choose just one - I would pinch my nose and choose Windows (but only because I would go out of business choosing the others). Autodesk knows they need to choose their battles and if the conversation reveals that only an insignificant amount of business will be lost if they only code for Windows - that is what they will do.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:54 am »
Hi all,

As an AutoCAD user, and an Eagle user I am actually looking forward to this......!
I'm stuck at Eagle 6.6 Pro anyways because the licensing upgrade path is expensive from where I am at. I've got nothing to lose!

I guess we'll see what happens now!

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:43 am »
wow unexpected!
Is Premier Farnell in bad weather or something?

Online Eternauta

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 11:28:37 am »
Hi,

Farnell was bought some days ago from Daetwyler (howner of Distrelec, another component distributor). Now they sold Eagle, likely to make cache.
Autodesk should have funds to develop Eagle and remain on the ecad market.

Regards

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 11:34:51 am »
If anything this is good news. Eagle is unusable as it is. I hope they decide to ditch everything except the name, and re-write it from starch. BTW, no-one cares about linux. Autodesk software is at least decent.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:30 pm »
I think in general this is good news, Autodesk have some very good 3D modeling software, Autodesk Inventor for example. After having to toggle between Orcad PCB then a 3D cad package to check clearances then back to Orcad and so on, Orcad's 3D capabilities are non existent. Well I can generate a step file from a layout but I still have to use an external 3D cad package to get the step mapping for each component just right. If I wanted to layout two or three or more stacked PCBs or a flexi-rigid assembly made from multiple boards then Orcad PCB is not really the right tool for the job. It will be interesting to see how much 3D capability Autodesk put into the final product if any, if it ended up as 2D like Autocad then it will probably be disappointing.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »
Eagle is crap. Autodesk have some nice options when it comes to free versions for non-commercial use. Provided non-commercial use you can get full version of Autocad 2016 for example. Or full version of Fusion360, which despite being cloud-based is usable (cliud EULA is surprisingle non-abusive). IMO this is good news
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 01:56:08 pm »
I think in general this is good news, Autodesk have some very good 3D modeling software, Autodesk Inventor for example. After having to toggle between Orcad PCB then a 3D cad package to check clearances then back to Orcad and so on, Orcad's 3D capabilities are non existent.
Are you talking about Orcad Layout PCB or Allegro? Orcad Layout has no 3D capabilities indeed but Allegro should have.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 02:01:41 pm »
re-write it from starch.
i think the starch version will easily outperform the regular programming language used ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 02:24:11 pm »
Are you talking about Orcad Layout PCB or Allegro? Orcad Layout has no 3D capabilities indeed but Allegro should have
Hi nctinico, I'm using Orcad PCB Designer Professional, Cadence SPB 16.6, not the old Orcad 9 or 10. Wasn't aware the Cadance Allegro offered any extra 3D functionality.
Chris

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 02:27:48 pm »
I'm a user of Eagle, as user of Inventor (and sometimes AutoCAD). I really like Autodesk products, and I like Eagle (I'm not in industrial business) it served me well the last years.

I think I'm like this news. Let's see what will happens...

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:21 pm »
re-write it from starch.
i think the starch version will easily outperform the regular programming language used ...
from scratch...  ;) duh.

Offline bombledmonk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:54:22 pm »
re-write it from starch.

Do you think it will be a stand alone program?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 04:20:05 pm »
I made my first PCB's in AutoCAD (Version 2.3 DOS) step by step by hand in the early 1980s, when there was no PCB software available.
May be this is a good thing, I am still using AutoCAD from time to time.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 05:29:19 pm »
  • I would hope they goto a subscription model at least as an option.
  • DRASTICALLY improve the process of building a new library part.
  • DRASTICALLY improve manual routing - push/shove, change trace width from point to point, and about 1000 other things
  • DRASTICALLY improve the geometry creation and control of PCB, holes, and other physical restrictions

Eagle is fine for hobby work, but it kills me in a professional environment where it sits side by side with high-end software.

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 05:36:24 pm »
I made my first PCB's in AutoCAD (Version 2.3 DOS) step by step by hand in the early 1980s, when there was no PCB software available.

You mean there was no cheap PCB software available. We used cadstar on a PC-AT in 1985, befor that you needed a workstation

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 06:43:07 pm »
Well, if Autodesk bought them, then forget about anything that was somehow good on Eagle. It will likely become Windows only and an expensive slow piece of junk - as pretty much all software Autodesk has acquired over the years (Maya, 3D Studio, ...)

AutoCad has been on the Mac for years. I have LT and Fusion 360 on there right now. I use Eagle and this is by far the best news I've heard about Eagle's future. If the backend of Eagle can be easily disentangled from the UI, things should improve greatly. There will, of course, be bumps in the road but still a much better situation.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 06:45:35 pm »
  • DRASTICALLY improve manual routing - push/shove, change trace width from point to point, and about 1000 other things
  • DRASTICALLY improve the geometry creation and control of PCB, holes, and other physical restrictions

Eagle is fine for hobby work, but it kills me in a professional environment where it sits side by side with high-end software.

It will go to a subscription model. AFAIK, all new auto desk licenses are subscription. And that's a good thing because it stabilizes funds/budgeting for development.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 06:53:03 pm »

It will go to a subscription model. AFAIK, all new auto desk licenses are subscription. And that's a good thing because it stabilizes funds/budgeting for development.
But it's a potential disaster for long-term maintainability.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 07:13:02 pm »

You mean there was no cheap PCB software available. We used cadstar on a PC-AT in 1985, befor that you needed a workstation

I used Wintek's sMARTwORK for DOS. I think it came out in '85. I think it was about 1000UKP.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 07:34:39 pm »

But it's a potential disaster for long-term maintainability.

I agree  it's a potential disaster for long-term maintainability.
whether subscriptions are good or not is irrelevant. Its the potential of continuous updates that is potentially bad. Or even worse forced continuous updates. Have you tried converting a complex doc file to docx? word always gets it wrong in some way that needs manual correction. You have to have the option to run an old version for old designs, so you better hope any new subscription model allows that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf