Author Topic: Cadence OrCAD Deal Offer  (Read 11232 times)

Offline bench_knobTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Disc Inside Ionized Atmosphere - Mexico 1994
    • SETV
Cadence OrCAD Deal Offer
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:23:38 am »
Hey all,

Just saw an ad posted by Cadence OrCAD, for $430 smackers (thats fairly inexpensive for this pro-level PCB CAD, which at work cost around $15k for all the bells and whistles. I am not a spammer, and this post (I hope isn't seen as being spam). I'm an EE who uses the paid non-com version of EAGLE at home for my projects.  I don't know the details of the full deal, maybe there's a hidden money trick? But thought it would be considerate to let you all know...?

See: Go.ema-eda.com/FREEPCBOffer

bench knob
skupe: zeebra_xray

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cadence OrCAD Deal Offer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 06:29:23 am »
I saw this before. I do not believe it's the pro version but it does look a good deal.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:12:51 am »
If your design is not to complex can be even free

https://www.ema-eda.com/products/cadence-orcad/orcad-lite

Offline rfbroadband

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:55:40 pm »
it is a very good deal. They try to get you hooked and pay the annual maintenance fees starting in year 2. They also hope that you "grow" used to the tool and upgrade to more expensive features or software options. But it is an excellent deal to start and depending on you needs to may use this "lower end" version for many years to come before you even have to consider upgrading.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:53 pm »
it is a very good deal. They try to get you hooked and pay the annual maintenance fees starting in year 2. They also hope that you "grow" used to the tool and upgrade to more expensive features or software options. But it is an excellent deal to start and depending on you needs to may use this "lower end" version for many years to come before you even have to consider upgrading.
Once you decide to upgrade, they will only charge a price difference. Since full price of Standard is $2150 (if I remember correctly), you will get this as discount towards their higher-tier products. At least that's  how I understand their upgrade process.
Also you don't have to renew subscription in order to keel using product. This subscription is for maintenance and upgrades only, not "subscription-ware" where you can't even use the product unless you keep paying.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:38:14 pm »
I see that it is "Limited time offer. Valid in North America Only" so presumably not available in the UK?

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:58:14 pm »
There is a similar but not as cheap UK offer. You need to contact the UK distributor. They seem to offer excellent support. I forgot their company name but sure it's easy enough to find

The following users thanked this post: jpb

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:00 pm »
Parallel Systems

The following users thanked this post: jpb

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 05:36:03 am »
I see that it is "Limited time offer. Valid in North America Only" so presumably not available in the UK?

You can get an address with Reship USA or eComGateway for nothing or next to nothing. I'm not sure if there is anything to actually ship if buying it on-line, however if so, just get it shipped to your Oregon address (no sales tax for goods sent to/sold in Oregon). They will post/freight it on to you for less than US$50. Use a gmail email address & pay by Paypal to avoid them seeing a non-USA issued credit card. All very do-able.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 06:27:51 pm »

You can get an address with Reship USA or eComGateway for nothing or next to nothing. I'm not sure if there is anything to actually ship if buying it on-line, however if so, just get it shipped to your Oregon address (no sales tax for goods sent to/sold in Oregon). They will post/freight it on to you for less than US$50. Use a gmail email address & pay by Paypal to avoid them seeing a non-USA issued credit card. All very do-able.
Thank you for the info - it may be useful for other things I may want from the States where vendors are reluctant to ship outside the States. But for this offer I wouldn't want to deliberately try to circumvent the rules especially as if I get it I may want support in future.

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:42:14 pm »
Did anyone go for this? I'm considering it, but curious about gotchas. I'm a serious Altium user, but even their best deals only bring a license down to ~$4k andI'm not rich enough to fund that out of pocket. $400 for a pro-level tool, and to learn something I've had on the list for a while, seems like a steal. Unless it doesn't include library creation, like the last offer, which would make it kinda useless...

EDIT: Also, the standard version in question doesn't include design reuse? Which is sort of a primary reason to get pro-level EDA software anyway? I'd love to hear from someone if they regret getting the standard package.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:48:21 pm by alexwhittemore »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:47 pm »
Did anyone go for this? I'm considering it, but curious about gotchas. I'm a serious Altium user, but even their best deals only bring a license down to ~$4k andI'm not rich enough to fund that out of pocket. $400 for a pro-level tool, and to learn something I've had on the list for a while, seems like a steal.
I initially wanted to go for this, but after playing around with trial version realised that I need some features which are only available in higher tier Professional license. After some discussion with my sales rep, she was able to give me huuge discount as I'm a hobbyist and would not pay full price for the product anyway. I took the offer, and now I'm happy Orcad PCB Editor Professional user 8)
As part of the offering, their will give you access to introductory e-learning courses for Capture (schematic editor) and PCB Editor. They (along with very fast as responsive email support) were instrumental to get me up to speed very quickly.
Unless it doesn't include library creation, like the last offer, which would make it kinda useless...
What do you mean? I can't imagine any e-CAD software without ability to create custom libraries...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:51:17 am by asmi »

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:10:30 pm »
Interesting - what features of the professional license did you decide were critical? I feel like I might be in the same boat. Maybe I'll download and play with the trial to pursue that same path. Also might try calling up my Altium rep along the same lines, but they're typically much less malleable since their license is all-or-nothing.

As for libraries - I'm not sure what I mean. I know the deal includes a 6mo subscription to Ultra Librarian, but AFAIK that's a large library of pre-made components, with an option you can pay for to build your own. So you're buying into an ecosystem to make your life easier, but it's not a critical piece of the suite. But the deal also DOESN'T include OrCAD Library Builder - what's that, and what am I missing out on? Is that similar to Altium Vaults or something? Not a necessary piece, just a design accelerator?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:38 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded the Lite package, evaluate and seriously consider this. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 12:40:22 am »
Interesting - what features of the professional license did you decide were critical? I feel like I might be in the same boat. Maybe I'll download and play with the trial to pursue that same path.
Match groups. Standard version includes differential pair handling tools. but not match groups, which allows to match trace length for high-speed parallel buses like DDR3.
If you want to try it out, make sure you request an actual trial version (Lite is not a trial, it's just that - limited, but free version).
Also might try calling up my Altium rep along the same lines, but they're typically much less malleable since their license is all-or-nothing.
I only paid for one year-long maintenance subscription ($1800 AFAIR) and they gave the actual license for free (which normally retails for $5k). But my sales rep underscored multiple times that they only made such amazing offer because I'm a hobbyist and a person (not company). I was just very clear that despite me wanting the license, there is no way in hell I would buy it for the sticker price. I actually did try Standard version for a while and was trying to come up with some way to make it work - but just couldn't.

As for libraries - I'm not sure what I mean. I know the deal includes a 6mo subscription to Ultra Librarian, but AFAIK that's a large library of pre-made components, with an option you can pay for to build your own. So you're buying into an ecosystem to make your life easier, but it's not a critical piece of the suite. But the deal also DOESN'T include OrCAD Library Builder - what's that, and what am I missing out on? Is that similar to Altium Vaults or something? Not a necessary piece, just a design accelerator?
Library Builder, like Ultra Librarian - are optional addons, whey just automate creating symbols/footprints/3D models, but once you create them they became just a regular Orcad components that can be managed by built-in tools. So it's a convenience, and not that big one too - I'm now 2 months into my UL subscription, but I've only downloaded 8 files - bundled sub includes 1200 downloads, and each file (symbols, footprint or step model) counts as one download (so up to 3 downloads for full part). I mostly use free Library Expert to create footprints/3D models for standard packages (it supports Orcad 17.2), as for schematic symbols - Orcad Capture comes with excellent import feature where you can create a list of pins in a spreadsheet using specific format, and then you can just paste it into their "New part from spreadsheet" window.
So, don't worry - you can manage libraries just fine using built-in tools that come with any license.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:46:54 am by asmi »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 12:44:25 am »
Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded the Lite package, evaluate and seriously consider this.
Lite version is not evaluation - it is limited, but free edition. I'd advise you to contact them via webform on their website: https://www.ema-eda.com/contact-us and request an actual trial (they gave me 30 days-long eval license).
As part of the trial, they will assign one of their field engineer to you so you can quickly receive answers to whatever questions you have - and they helped A LOT to get me up to speed, usually I received response within one-two hours (during business hours of course). You won't have to pay anything for this.

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:49:03 am »
I only paid for one year-long maintenance subscription ($1800 AFAIR) and they gave the actual license for free (which normally retails for $5k). But my sales rep underscored multiple times that they only made such amazing offer because I'm a hobbyist and a person (not company). I was just very clear that despite me wanting the license, there is no way in hell I would buy it for the sticker price. I actually did try Standard version for a while and was trying to come up with some way to make it work - but just couldn't.\

That's for the OrCAD pro suite? Or for Altium? Altium's full package yearly maintenance is about that same price.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:33 am »
That's for the OrCAD pro suite? Or for Altium? Altium's full package yearly maintenance is about that same price.
Orcad Pro.
They actually have quite flexible licensing model, which allows you to upgrade and acquire new features as you go while still working in essentially same environment (same GUI, same workflow) from basic Standard license all the way up to super high-end Allegro (they use the same underlined engine, just some features are disabled on lower license levels). That is in contrast to Atium, where each upgrade forces you to work with new software ;D

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:03 am »
Oh - and one more piece of advice. Whatever license you choose, make sure you buy USB HASP key ($100) - otherwise your license will be locked to the host, and if you will need to move it - you will have to contact support. And if your upgrade subscription expires at that time, this service will cost you $500 (it's free while your maintenance sub is still active). While the key will allow you to use software on several computers (not at the same time of course) by just moving the key - no need to contact support.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:48:30 am by asmi »

The following users thanked this post: DerekG

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 01:54:25 am »
And if your upgrade subscription expires at that time, this service will cost you $500.

A good piece of advice! Thanks.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 03:21:58 am »
And if your upgrade subscription expires at that time, this service will cost you $500.

Wow, that's absolute horseshit. "Here's a perpetual license that you assuredly cannot use in any useful degree of perpetuity without additional cost."

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 03:53:27 am »
Wow, that's absolute horseshit. "Here's a perpetual license that you assuredly cannot use in any useful degree of perpetuity without additional cost."
Not really. This is the way all host-locked software I know of work. Since you need their support to rehost your license, you've got to pay for it one way or another. To be honest, as they bind license to NIC MAC address, you can technically replicate it on another computer (as long as they are not in same network as this will break it).
USB key is more convenient as not only you get a permanent license (well as long as USB bus exists and drivers for the dongle work ;) ), it also allows you to install it on multiple workstations if you need it. For example, I have it installed on my main desktop where I do most of work, and on my Surface Pro 3 tablet which I use as mobile laptop as well as a reference when I assemble/test boards (my work desk is away from desktop workstation). Technically you can open any file even in free Lite edition of Orcad, but it keeps complaining about unsupported features every time I open a design, which is kind of annoying so it's easier for me to reconnect USB key.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:55:04 am by asmi »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 11:11:21 am »
Oh - and one more piece of advice. Whatever license you choose, make sure you buy USB HASP key ($100)
Does that also work in a VM (virtual machine)?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 02:14:55 pm »
Does that also work in a VM (virtual machine)?
I don't know for sure.

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 05:22:41 pm »
The key seems like a good idea just for convenience. And though it's $100, that isn't too bad since they typically come from other dongle vendors that charge on a per-key basis anyway. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was cost for Cadence. It's the $500 to simply generate a new license file. As if you're drilling them with issue tickets or something.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf