Author Topic: Circuit simulation  (Read 3382 times)

Offline VtileTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
Circuit simulation
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:58:43 pm »
Hello

Is there free or low cost (for personal use, not for money making) simulating software out there other that LTSpice.

My old (2001) copy of old textbook version of EWB is driving me nuts once again with its simulation crashes with OPAs (multivibrator this case.  >:( ) EWB seems to be NI Multisim now (didn't found the price so it is something that makes me cry).

I know the LTSpice is free, but after using the EWB (which now is Ni Multisim it seems) it is so pita to use. 

I know there is also Protheus (which I have used a few hours, it were nice), but it seems to be also ridiculously priced for hobby use, propably because of the PCB and other parts of the package.

Is there something else on the market than LTspice, which would be a bit more user friendly and wouldn't cost as much as new spectrum analyser?  :( :) Win/Linux doesn't matter.

Mostly what I'm looking here is the simulation, with decent UI. I'm not interested autorouters or PCB layout design. Only simulation part matters to me.

I also noticed this gEDA is it usefull or even a program or just a library? KiCAD, but it doesn't mention how far it goes with simulation, does it have a full simulation engine the homepages are just full of PCB nonsense (for me, that is).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:21:07 pm by Vtile »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Circuit simulation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:13 pm »
Autodesk 123D includes free circuit simulation, including arduino emulator. Actually amazing.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
Autodesk 123D includes free circuit simulation, including arduino emulator. Actually amazing.

Regards,
Vitor
Did not knew that one, it seems to be directed more for school and junior use (which doesn't say it is bad), judging from the pictures of breadboard etc.
I think I'm looking something a bit more professional, LTspice style, with just better UI and some quick simulation options.

Edit. I'm a bit lost in terminology here so bare with me. schematic capture with full simulation engine is what I'm after, which in best case would have better UI than LTspice. Something closer to Multisim and Protheus. I'm mostly working with sub RF analogs in the rare cases I design anything more complex than some two component led flasher.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:34:28 pm by Vtile »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:13:54 pm »
Is the whole program crashing, or do you just mean convergence errors (most commonly "timestep too small")?

Because those are common to all, even enterprise grade simulators.  You'll have to learn to fix your models first.

I haven't used EWB, but I doubt it's much different from Multisim, which I have used.  There is little difference from the original (Multisim is derived from XSPICE, which in turn comes from Berkeley 3f5 SPICE).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:28:52 pm »
Is the whole program crashing, or do you just mean convergence errors (most commonly "timestep too small")?

Because those are common to all, even enterprise grade simulators.  You'll have to learn to fix your models first.

I haven't used EWB, but I doubt it's much different from Multisim, which I have used.  There is little difference from the original (Multisim is derived from XSPICE, which in turn comes from Berkeley 3f5 SPICE).

Tim
Yep, it is me with the (inbuild) models then, since it is those timestep too small cryptography messages. It is interesting to hear that it is common in general. I would have assumed it is the old age of the software version (15 years or something) that is cousing the errors, which at times seems to pop up from nothing, ie. connecting virtual scope to the circuitry.

As far as I know it were called EWB multisim in the past and now the EWB is dropped out since it is NI product. A beloved child has many names.  :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:37:11 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:12:01 am »
Ah, it seems that there is no option. Well damit, I'm disappointed  :( Would be so good for hobbyist to make a ballpark prototyping, before real one to get rid of the silly mistakes. Of course it creates itself a silly mistakes, using real component model instead of ideal solved my problem this time.

It is shame that it seems that the future of simulation is obsolete, if the chip manufacturers refuge to provide models. Some do not even give datasheets out, if you aren't somesort of partner. (Which I find odd, since it wouldn't secure the die/chip architecture anyway if competitor do have good enough equipment.)  :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:35:26 am by Vtile »

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »
I can recommend TINA:

https://www.tina.com/English/tina/

It's a pretty good SPICE program that isn't nearly as expensive as Multisim, Proteus, etc.

LTSpice is a lot better at switchmode power supplies, but TINA is a lot better at general circuits, especially mixed digital/analog stuff.

The following users thanked this post: alexanderbrevig

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 03:17:30 pm »
+1  :-+

I can recommend TINA:

https://www.tina.com/English/tina/

It's a pretty good SPICE program that isn't nearly as expensive as Multisim, Proteus, etc.

LTSpice is a lot better at switchmode power supplies, but TINA is a lot better at general circuits, especially mixed digital/analog stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf