Author Topic: Deciphering a set of files  (Read 1728 times)

Offline arobyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Deciphering a set of files
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »
I am a novice when it comes to the software tools for PCB design. I would like to create a toner transfer print for a board for which I have a .zip file containing a number of files that the original author says are Gerbers.  I found some nice software called GC-Prevue that can load all of the files and I can create a 1:1 print.   My question is what are all of the files?  They loaded in as Physical Layers in the software.   The extensions are .TOP, .SMT, .SMB, .BOT, .SST and .th.   I assume .TOP and .BOT are the top and bottom layouts.  The .th appears to be a drill hole file, but I can't get that to load except as a layer.

The PCB is not that complicated - 2 layers, with the bottom being entirely ground plane, but it would be nice to know all that I am looking at here!

Thanks

Anthony

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Re: Deciphering a set of files
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:18:34 pm »
Those are Gerber files, I think.

SMT and SMB will be SolderMask Top and SolderMask Bottom, those would be where I start.   There might also be a solder paste layer that you can export.

Gerbers are vector files.  Make sure you print them at 100% all the way from the Gerber viewer through to the printer properties.  Layers in between will love to "help" you by resizing in various directions.

Offline arobyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Deciphering a set of files
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »
Got it - that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf