Author Topic: Designing an IC  (Read 2886 times)

Offline AmmarTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Designing an IC
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:28:00 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone designed a chip as part of their hobby experience? I have heard of software like Magic VLSI, which is free and open source. However, it looks as though it has a fairly steep learning curve.

I know it can cost a great deal to get one fabricated but I would be keen to know if anyone has gone down this path. Even if it doesn't get made, is it a good learning experience? Analog, digital, mixed-signal, what have people done, how long can it take and what is the best way to begin? What is the "hello world" of IC design?

The following users thanked this post: noobiedoobie

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Designing an IC
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:12:44 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone designed a chip as part of their hobby experience? I have heard of software like Magic VLSI, which is free and open source. However, it looks as though it has a fairly steep learning curve.

Mostly people program an off the shelf microprocessor to do what they want (ie to become their "custom chip") or use (if production numbers will be large) programmable gate arrays.

Everything else is much more expensive (you are talking many tens of thousands of dollars).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:52:06 am by DerekG »
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline AmmarTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:06:59 am »
Blueskull, what was the first IC or part of an IC you ever designed?

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 10:06:20 pm »
Has anyone designed a chip as part of their hobby experience?
'designed a chip' can mean many things, and even with ASICs, you are not likely to work at mask-level.
Instead you hand over design files, and the FAB consultant runs their $$$ compilers to create mask files.

A more realistic path for all except the very highest volumes, is to use CPLD/FPGA and 'design custom logic' using those.
Those design files can be passed to a FAB consultant, should you ever hit the 8-9 digit volumes needed.

There are a lot of CPLD/FPGA from lattice/micosemi/altera/xilinx et al, and Cypress have PSoC parts with MCU and modest Logic cells.

If you really need an ASIC, and thus do not care about the chip-price, then there was this offer recently

http://www.edacafe.com/sponsors/Baysand/index.20160802.php

That takes FPGA design flow data, and gives 100 chips for $500 each.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf