Author Topic: Electrolytic Capacitor Silkscreen  (Read 5273 times)

Offline JtroTechABTopic starter

• Contributor
Electrolytic Capacitor Silkscreen
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:02:33 am »
What is the IPC standard silkscreen or PCB marking for electrolytic capacitor.

Offline JtroTechABTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Electrolytic Capacitor Silkscreen
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:17:50 am »
what is the correct way to show the silkscreen or pcb marking of electrolytic capacitor in order to show its polarity

anyone, any replies?

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 01:58:40 pm »
Usually (from LP viewer 10.5), it is a filled circle near pin 1, and a component's outline that has chamfered corners near pin 1.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »
I see many different styles for polarity marking. This is what I use.
Most important is you can see the polarity marking outside the capacitor, after it is installed.

Altium wrongly uses the part outline as a square.
So component placement (clearance rule) gets all messed up with circular-shaped parts.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »
IPC doesn't care about silkscreen; 2221A says to reserve space for designators and not to hide information under components, but doesn't make any statements about what a component should look like.

It's perfectly producible to leave minimal silk.  80s Tektronix had hardly any: rare if any designators even, mostly a plus to indicate polarized capacitors.  Modern high density builds don't afford much space to silkscreen, for obvious reasons.

Personally, I use a circle with a plus to one side and a minus on the other (actually an arc segment, mimicking the polarity mark on the sleeve).  The half-shaded style is fine too, and there's a concentric arcs style I think that's more European in origin.

I don't like the half-solid style, the white balance is just so awful.  But as you can see, that's an aesthetic statement, nothing more technical than that.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:15 pm »
Yes there is no "right" way to do it.

I usually just put a "+" near the positive pin. The rest depends on the size of the cap and the density of the board.
The cap's "shape", or outline, on silkscreen is only useful while routing the board (in which case it can be put on another layer instead of silkscreen) really. It doesn't add any value (except maybe aesthetics? that's all relative) after that.

Again, once the caps are assembled, there are marks on them so any marks on silkscreen are basically useless at this stage, except maybe the polarity mark which can help visual inspection (although that can be done with reference pictures or even be automated).

Offline tycz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 12:21:48 am »
I usually just put a "+" near the positive pin. The rest depends on the size of the cap and the density of the board.
The cap's "shape", or outline, on silkscreen is only useful while routing the board (in which case it can be put on another layer instead of silkscreen) really. It doesn't add any value (except maybe aesthetics? that's all relative) after that.

It's useful for the factory worker who stuffs the cap into the board and the technician who repairs it when it fails. It's also good idea to put a large marking around the negative pin. This makes it very easy to identify a correctly placed cap by visually matching it with the big negative stripe on the body of the cap.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 03:09:32 am »

It's useful for the factory worker who stuffs the cap into the board and the technician who repairs it when it fails. It's also good idea to put a large marking around the negative pin. This makes it very easy to identify a correctly placed cap by visually matching it with the big negative stripe on the body of the cap.

Assuming it's hand assembled. And even so, if you're dealing with radial caps, I don't know how useful that would be. Given that you respect polarity, there's pretty much only one way to insert a radial, vertical cap, at least on the XY plane! Same for axial caps. Maybe the only case it could help is if you use radial caps, mount them horizontally and require a specific placement or pin length. I personally don't like mounting radial caps horizontally, but YMMV.

And if you're repairing, you can just copy the original placement.

A minimal indication like a simple circle or rectangle (depending on mounting orientation) helps locating the placement (without it it will take a little more time to spot it visually, I agree), but you don't need anything fancy and if your polarity mark is clear, no need for fancy shapes underside the cap imo. Factory workers usually use various automated or semi-automated tools to help place components and rely only marginally on silkscreen markings, unless maybe they work in a basement :P.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:19:33 am by SiliconWizard »

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 10:50:06 am »
For THT-Caps i simply add a + near the positive pin.
For the SMD ones i simplay paint the outline of the cap.

So far i did not get any negative feedback about it. Neither from a supplier or from or own ppl that assmble it by hand.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 12:35:57 pm »
For THT-Caps i simply add a + near the positive pin.
For the SMD ones i simplay paint the outline of the cap.

So far i did not get any negative feedback about it. Neither from a supplier or from or own ppl that assmble it by hand.
A little bit off-topic: it is a good custom to place all polarised capacitors (electrolytic, tantalium, etc) and diodes in the same direction. This makes it very easy to spot assembly errors. Yes, even in the age of P&P these error do happen.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf