Author Topic: Footprint for Chinese DC Sockets?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline halkabarTopic starter

• Contributor
Footprint for Chinese DC Sockets?
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:29:59 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500PCS-2-5mm-X-0-7MM-DC-socket-0-65mm-pin-SMD-PCB-Welding-for-Power-Charger-Plug-/141223761452?hash=item20e197962c:g:7VQAAOxyoVZTJHZ1

I want to put an SMT 0.65x2.5mm DC Socket into my design, but unfortunately i couldn't really find the suitable part on Digikey or Mouser (it was way too expensive) so I decided to look around on ebay. Cheap as always, but  I couldn't find a detailed drawing/datasheet for the part. :/
I tried to messaging a couple of the sellers but they weren't much of a help anyways...
Should I order a couple sample pieces or is there any way to get some documentation? (I don't really want to wait 3-4weeks, delaying the pcb manufacturing:/)

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
Re: Footprint for Chinese DC Sockets?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:54:43 pm »
Contact the seller, sometimes they have the data sheet for these, as well as the footprint size.

Be careful though. I have bought some of these (similar item) and the plastic it was made with was crap. It melted before my solder did on the circuit board in the reflow oven.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:13:51 pm »
One reason these things are often hand soldered after the rest of the board is reflowed.  Might make sense in your case, but it changes the cost equation for anyone making boards to sell.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:54 pm »
Contact the seller, sometimes they have the data sheet for these, as well as the footprint size.
But you should also expect them to potentially send you a wrong one...

Offline halkabarTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:58:25 pm »
I ordered 60pcs for $7... I don't know if these parts are any good, but I guess we'll see. I reflow solder my boards so if these melt then I'm probably gonna have to find a different part. I unfortunately cannot use a larger diameter socket because I have very limited hight available in the enclosure, so yeah...

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:17:34 am »
I would say, it isn't hard to make your own footprints.  Measure that part out, make a footprint for it, print it out, lay the part on top of the printout, and make sure it all lines up.   That part doesn't look so finely made that you couldn't theoretically be off a few mils and still be OK.   If that part can't survive reflow, why not just hand solder it as the last step?  It doesn't look all that hard to solder either.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:42:05 am »
The problem with that is...And i know, cause I have the problem...

Not all printers print 1:1 ratio. I have to mess with mine, with the part, to get the correct footprint. I have to print something off, then use calipers to find the right percentage to scale down the output of the print. (or scale up)

For instance, create a 2inch x 2inch box, then print it off, measure with calipers, then adjust the print-out by a percentage until I get that 2 inch square box to really BE 2 inches.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 01:54:58 am »
So your printer doesn't print to scale?  You should be able to measure the scale factor once, and then apply it to all future work.  If it changes each time, what good does it do to measure it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf