Author Topic: Go-to PCB Manufacturing house?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline ECEdesignTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Go-to PCB Manufacturing house?
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:46:40 pm »
Where do people get their boards made?  There are many different places and its hard to tell which ones are good.  Im a student so looking for low cost but want the quality to be reasonable.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Go-to PCB Manufacturing house?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:34:43 am »
If you want "best" as in quality and service, pick a domestic supplier, and pay for it ($400+ for a custom run).

If you want "best" as in lowest price, it varies by size, layers, thickness and turn time.  Use pcbshopper.com to figure out which are cheapest.

Even the worst Chinese suppliers should meet basic specs (4 mils alignment between silk/solder/copper/drill, 7/7 min trace width/space).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:21:10 am »
Well, he's a student, so he shouldn't be pushing the limits, or at least not producing a design that is pushing the limits!

For small boards, oshpark.com is well regarded, but can get costly quickly at $5 per square inch for three boards.

For larger boards, I like itead studio, but beware of getting close to their minimums.  I just ordered some 2x3" boards - $14.90 plus shipping for 10 of them - about $22 total.

Personally, I like to set my minimum spacings and trace widths to what some would consider ridiculously high.  That way, I can produce a board myself using the MG Chemicals photographic process in an hour or so.  But then you need to be able to print transparencies and need a UV lamp to expose the board.  Double sided boards are doable, but you don't get plated through holes and soldering wires in for vias gets tedious, so I use oshpark or itead studio for anything more complicated.

I would stay away from any PCB producer that makes you use their own software if you ever want to sell the board or give the design away.  These producers charge a premium and your 'customers' will not like paying it.  (I paid something ridiculous like $300 for one design published in the ARRL Handbook that used such a producer.)

Offline ECEdesignTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:27 am »
I took a look at ITEAD Studio, it sounds pretty reasonable and 10 boards is quite nice for a batch.  I have heard of OSH but my board might be a decent size so good to have other options.

I got a student version of Altium so wherever I have it manufactured will need to take the gerber files generated from Altium!  I need to look up some specs for what the different houses can do for manufacturing to see what a good clearance rule will be for my PCB. 

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:29:12 pm »
I've used Advanced Circuits as a US supplier for years and their quality has always been great.  Not the cheapest around, but they do have some pretty decent student discounts.

http://www.4pcb.com/pcb-student-discount.html

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:29:10 pm »
When I want more for my bucks (e.g. V-scored panelization) and a 10 day turnaround isn't an issue : Elecrow.
When I need a new prototype to arrive yesterday : PCBWay.

Eurocircuits, OSHPark, Pragoboard are all great but do not offer the variety, the ease, the speed and the price of the above.

Offline Iris Fu

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 08:38:43 am »
If you are a student,it is better to choose ifastpcb.com. Because ifastpcb.com can bring you the best price,high quality,and fast delivery.1-2 layers, length & width <= 100mm, 10 pcs prototypes start from 12$.

Visit the website:www.ifastpcb.com.In the website,you can get instant quotation.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:00:18 am »
dirtypcbs.com is my personal favorite for prototypes at the moment. They give you a small batch of "about 10" boards, which has meant between 10 and 12 for me in the past. (It seems that they make 12 boards, and send all that pass e-testing.) $14 for maximum size 5*5cm², or $25 for sizes up to 10*10cm². Prices include slow shipping from China. Faster shipping is availabe at reasonable extra cost, and their processing times at the board house are quite fast. (Certainly faster than OSH Park, for example.)

But the real strength, in my view, is the flexibility they give you: Many options regarding PCB thickness and solder mask color at no extra cost, and you can panelize multiple PCBs or define funky milling contours, also without extra charge. Contrary to what their name suggests, the quality is very decent.

The following users thanked this post: ECEdesign

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 10:57:48 am »
If you are a student,it is better to choose ifastpcb.com. Because ifastpcb.com can bring you the best price,high quality,and fast delivery.1-2 layers, length & width <= 100mm, 10 pcs prototypes start from 12$.

Visit the website:www.ifastpcb.com.In the website,you can get instant quotation.
And if you are PCB service, it's better to not spam because you will get banned in no time.

Offline Korken

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 06:16:23 am »
For prototypes I always use OSHPark, but generally I use PCBCart for manufacturing (and assembly) and the quality is simply stellar.
I have never had a problem and they contact you if they find a problem with the design.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf