Author Topic: How do you combine designs with parts made in multiple pieces of ECAD?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
I'm working on a design in which we use different pieces of software.
I want to use Altium for the more "general" PCB design part. The connections between components and such put into a schematic, and then I can use the usual flow for PCB design.

But we have a milimeter wave structure that was designed in Ansys HFSS. How do I best import this into Altium? Or is it best for me to work with some other software to put it together? I could do it in HFSS but it is an absolute pain in the behind to do such a thing in HFSS, and it is far easier to make mistakes.

Any good resources on this? most of what I find when I look this up is how to export designs from altium into HFSS for simulation in HFSS, but that is not what I need here (and can't, it would simply take too much memory, we are already pushing what we can do with our little 1 cm long structure).

The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
can you move it through an intermediate format, e.g. kicad lets you export or import copper layers as a dxf file,

Offline Araho

• Regular Contributor
I'd probably try to export a DXF from HFSS - the DXF format was made for this exact purpose (Design eXchange Format), but I have no clue whether or not HFSS support it.

Create a new component in Altium for your structure, where the copper elements are created from importing a DXF-file. Define the pins of your component, and add a pad in the copper structure for each pin, just like you'd do normally.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf