Author Topic: How to generate regular hole pattern  (Read 2149 times)

Offline GregDunnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How to generate regular hole pattern
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:37:38 am »
I did a search here but nothing useful came up.  It's really a pretty basic thing, so hopefully someone has come up with a quick solution around here.  I suspect some of the open source PCB layout tools like kicad might be able to do what I need, so that's why I put it in here to start...

All I need is to generate a template/pattern for a bunch of regularly spaced holes (maybe 30-35) that I want to drill in a piece of scrap plastic.  I think they're going to be on about 0.07" center, and maybe .02" diameter holes - but I won't be 100% sure till I place the template in the project space and verify it.  They need to pass 30ga insulated wire, which has a slight tolerance so I may need to adjust after generating a test template.  If they'd been 0.1" center, I could have used a piece of perfboard, but noooooo...

Yeah, I could lay it out with a ruler, but then if I calculated wrong with my initial estimate, I'll have to do it all over again.  Faster if there's something semi-automated so I can print out updates quickly.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: How to generate regular hole pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:20:13 am »
Draw dots in Paint, and print to scale.

If you have any better editing tool, use that.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:08 am »
This really depends on how much time you want to spend and how often you are going to do this sort of thing...

Personally I use LibreCAD for 2D and Fusion360 for 3D.

(and DipTrace for Schematic and PCB Layout)

Any of those would do what you want.... and a lot more!

(Make sure you check that your software is scaling for the printer correctly by checking with a ruler the first time; any decent software should get it right first time)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:31:57 am by NivagSwerdna »

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:11:42 am »
KiCAD files are plain text and fairly human-readable/editable (for simple things like this).

I’d be inclined to lay out a file with 3 holes carefully spaced (so I knew the file format/pattern) and then write the file with a small program (or text editor and calculator nearby).

If you really can’t manage this yourself, I’m sure someone on here is willing to one-off it for you (including me).

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:42 pm »
A couple of links to view. Remember to calibrate your printer as someone else stated.

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Hope this helps...
PEACE===>T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:51:38 pm »
Yeah, using a scaled drawing program works fine; it just took longer than I thought it should to generate repeating rows and they're not easily scalable, which is why I thought of a CAD or PCB program.  Back in 1983 when we found that an easy way to buy a computer without weeks of admin paperwork was to mark it as a "schematic drawing tool"   :-DD  we had a very rudimentary piece of software which allowed you to generate repeating patterns with a couple of mouse clicks.  That was also the first computer we'd ever had in the department with a mouse...  Anyway, one of the problems there was that it required custom driver software for a pen plotter (!) to output a print which was to scale.  Laser printer?  What's that?

I fooled around with kicad for a bit and couldn't find the proper commands, though no doubt it'll do it somewhere.  I've used it many times for simulations, but never for PCBs, and the layout program is a bit different.  I haven't tried LibreCAD yet, though I use LibreOffice for cross-platform stuff all the time; it was next on my list of things to try.  Since the hope was to save time I thought I'd first try a basic drawing program and attempt to put something together to find out if it was possible to do what I wanted.  It wasn't (couldn't extend the pattern to multiple objects directly) but luckily my original measurement was accurate and the first pattern I generated by cut-and-paste was good.

Now that I've got something useful I'll look at trying to make kicad behave; since I use it for simulations, having  mastery over the PCB portion will probably get used a lot in the future anyway...

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 09:18:48 pm »
In kicad, the feature you want to use is "User Grid",

You set it up under veiw/grid settings, then select user grid. this way you can have custom X/Y spacing, so you only need to draw 1 hole, then duplicate along the grid.

Your 0.2" diameter seemed like it was meant to be 0.02" so I scaled accordingly, attached is a pdf from kicad using a custom grid of Y = 1.778, X = 0.254mm this is just because I am a metric person, if your using imperial, then you just set it in imperial.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 10:15:17 pm »
Yeah, that'll work - thanks!  Next time I'll be able to be a bit quicker in setting up a pattern.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 10:42:30 pm »
In kicad, the feature you want to use is "User Grid",

You set it up under veiw/grid settings, then select user grid. this way you can have custom X/Y spacing, so you only need to draw 1 hole, then duplicate along the grid.

Your 0.2" diameter seemed like it was meant to be 0.02" so I scaled accordingly, attached is a pdf from kicad using a custom grid of Y = 1.778, X = 0.254mm this is just because I am a metric person, if your using imperial, then you just set it in imperial.

even simpler use the create array feature

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf