Author Topic: Mentor PADS Maker and Maker Pro  (Read 16852 times)

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
Re: Mentor PADS Maker and Maker Pro
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 01:34:18 am »
Good catch on the wiki error! We'll get that fixed right away. It should say, "PADS Maker is offered through a free, annual, renewable license. PADS Maker Pro licenses are perpetual and never expire."
Good to hear, Cathy   :)

Can you also look into
a) Why the install appears to have no example schematics whatsoever, not even ones matching the sample PCBs
b) Why the example Boards show in the Screen Shots, are not in the install ?

Offline uncle_bobTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 01:37:16 am »
Good catch on the wiki error! We'll get that fixed right away. It should say, "PADS Maker is offered through a free, annual, renewable license. PADS Maker Pro licenses are perpetual and never expire."
Good to hear, Cathy   :)

Can you also look into
a) Why the install appears to have no example schematics whatsoever, not even ones matching the sample PCBs
b) Why the example Boards show in the Screen Shots, are not in the install ?

Hi

....  If Cathy if from Digikey:

When will the PartMiner be fully implemented for a reasonable set of packages?

Is there any effort under way to auto-populate the database or is it all going to be user input?

Bob

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 01:42:05 am »
One hint if you are doing manual footprints: Their default pad stack is a bit sparse. ..
Even worse, there is no means to clone a layer's stack info fields, so once you have your (eg) offset oval finger all defined on Cu, you have to enter all that again and again, for every layer.

Really Mentor, basic ^C, ^V should be in all elements of any decent program these days...

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
How does the Pads Maker Pro compare to Altium Circuit Studio?
They cost almost the same.

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 03:32:02 pm »
Hi

At the moment PADS Maker is a work in progress. If anybody else has been able to log into the Mentor support forum with their "Maker" license, they are doing way better than I am. Judging from the zero activity on that forum, it is still shut for beta testing. I'm guessing that same "still in beta testing" applies to a number of things we will see in the product 6 months from now. At this point there are still a number of gaping holes in it. You *can* layout a board with it. You run into a bunch of gotchas. I'd suggest a bit of a wait before doing any in-depth comparison of brand A vs brand M ....

Bob

Offline DigiMan

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:12 pm »
Bob,
Are you referring to PartQuest.com or PartMiner?
I don't think DigiKey has much to do with PartMiner of late.  However, PartQuest.com does have over 1M DigiKey parts out of the box with a S&F. We are working at increasing the library as fast as possible with direct generated content.  We prefer to steer clear of the user generated content as it CAN be unreliable.  That is a whole other post.
I hope this helps with the library creation side.  We are listening!
Jeremy

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:08 pm »
Bob,
Are you referring to PartQuest.com or PartMiner?
I don't think DigiKey has much to do with PartMiner of late.  However, PartQuest.com does have over 1M DigiKey parts out of the box with a S&F. We are working at increasing the library as fast as possible with direct generated content.  We prefer to steer clear of the user generated content as it CAN be unreliable.  That is a whole other post.
I hope this helps with the library creation side.  We are listening!
Jeremy

Hi

Sorry for the typo. PartQuest is what I was playing with. I'm still hoping for the ability to download typical ARM MCU's and FPGA's from the major outfits.

Bob

Offline glameris

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 07:36:37 pm »
There are several reference designs for PADS Maker including the BeagleBone Black at:
https://eewiki.net/display/MentorGraphicsDocumentation/Reference+Designs
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:53:40 pm by glameris »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf