Author Topic: Mouse wheel control - AutoCad & Eagle versus CS/CM  (Read 1438 times)

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Mouse wheel control - AutoCad & Eagle versus CS/CM
« on: July 15, 2016, 11:32:46 am »
Hi all,

I'm embarking on a full-on CircuitStudio evaluation, taking one of my existing Eagle PCB designs and migrating it to CS. I want every component and track in the same place. I did this with AutoTrax DEX and it was a great way to evaluate (I won't tell you how it ended!). No importing allowed, the idea is to work through the full workflow from scratch and as a brand new Altium user.

However, as well as a long time Eagle PCB user I am also a daily AutoCad user.......and as luck would have it the mouse actions are very similar, notably the mouse wheel press and hold to pan without using the keyboard.

CS (& CM) don't appear to allow that exact configuration, so I went about remapping the mouse wheel.......and happened on this app:

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm

Which allows remapping on a per app basis (so it won't affect other apps on my PC). Seems to work a treat, just re-map the MIDDLE BUTTON to RIGHT CLICK.

Yes, I could probably get used to right click to pan in CS.......but as I use AutoCad daily also I just don't want to have two methods.

Subject to full testing of course to make sure that it doesn't break any CS functionality, but it does mean that EAGLE PCB users should be able to mimic the mouse wheel fully in CS or CM and feel very familiar very quickly. I think Altium should offer this config in the settings.

Other than that, am looking forward also to see what AutoDesk will do with EaglePCB.

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline vzoole

• Regular Contributor
Re: Mouse wheel control - AutoCad & Eagle versus CS/CM
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »
Be happy cause there is pan and zoom in all your software :).

E.g. in Pads Standard no pan capability by mouse :(.

But if you use all as it is work... your brain will learnt to use correct method paralell. Just the first weeks are annoying.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf