Author Topic: New Version control for pCB files  (Read 3343 times)

Offline ar__systemsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New Version control for pCB files
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
Received and email from a new startup that is working on a version control for Eagle files. It has a visual comparison function. Cadlab.io

Told them I can't use new (being polite; I really mean "untested") version control system that is hosted on somebody else's server and which requires subscription.

May be I was too harsh :)

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Version control for pCB files
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:39 pm »
A big advantage to off-site is that you don't have to manage. I'd rather spend my time designing new products and validating and improving existing ones over managing an IT system.

This does look rather promising. Too bad I already left Eagle for greener pastures.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:33:39 am »
Provided your PCB package has either a native ASCII database, or reliable options to export/import in ASCII, then standard Source Version Control tools should work fine.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:17 am »
been using Git for ages with both Eagle and Altium..  Its ok.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03:12:10 am »
git works great with Altium binary files... yeah you can't merge branches, but that's not really how you do PCB design anyway (and even with ascii pcb format, trying to merge 2 different versions of a PCB file with 2 different areas of different changes would be hell. PCB ASCII format is hardly source code... :-)

speaking of merging pcb variants, Altium itself does have a visual pcb diff tool, but I've never been unlucky enough to have to seriously use it to merge different branches of a PCB design, and I hope I never am...

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:01:14 am »
I agree.. PCB design and coding are not really the same. :-)    And as yet, I've never had to do a merge..  I find its more about keeping track of versions thats important.  You can easily backtrack.

Altium has SVN built in, i dont' know why they wont' support git natively.     I just use git from the command line..   In fact i pretty much use git from the command line for everything ( code as well )..   
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf