Author Topic: Open footprint description language and open footprint database  (Read 2324 times)

Offline clonetTopic starter

Hi EEVforumers,
this is my first post here :)

I'm organizing a database of all the components I have (I'm using partkeepr) and I'm struggling with the large variety of different fooptints/packages.
At the moment I'm more or less inserting the footprints by hands or by performing simple sql queries on the backend... but it's boring, time comsuming, and above all I'm sure it's something a lot of other people has already done before.
So, I'm wondering if some standard language exists for the description of footprints and/or packages... Anyone knows?
At least some sort of "open-database" of standard footprints, maybe collaborative...?
I don't know if it makes sense to ask, but I've the clear feeling of repeating the work many other people have done.
Cheers from Rome
c.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: Open footprint description language and open footprint database
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:05:35 pm »
At least some sort of "open-database" of standard footprints, maybe collaborative...?

Like KiCad or gEDA?
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Open footprint description language and open footprint database
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 03:12:46 am »
You will find footprints for many components in the CAD programs used for drawing PCB's.  In addition to those already mentioned, Eagle has a pretty good library of component footprints.

Be aware that a manufacturer's recommendation for a component may differ from that of another manufacturer of a functionally equivalent component.   That applies even for relatively standard footprints, for example the SOIC-8.

Although, you can often use a stock footprint without adjustment, it is always best to check the stock footprint against the specific manufacturer's recommendation.  Of course, the differences are more often significant with SMD components than with through-hole components.

John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf