Author Topic: Opinions on best electrical schematic software  (Read 15496 times)

Offline MasterBuilderTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Opinions on best electrical schematic software
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:32:58 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for electrical CAD/CAE software.

I'm referring here to software for electrical schematic, wiring diagram and panel design and not software for PCB design. I have used Aucotec Engineering base and E3.series in my job, neither of which I'm impressed with, In fact I have learned to hate both these software packages and their buggy outdated interfaces.

I have tested both Eplan and IGE+XAO SEE electrical. My favorite software so far has been IGE+XAO SEE electrical, but I'm not fully convinced this is the best available software. Most important features for me are speed of generation of schematics and good features for generating terminal and wiring lists.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Opinions on best electrical schematic software
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
Over here Eplan seems to be the standard. I have seen a short demo and it seems to work well but every piece of software takes time to get used to.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:27:42 pm »
Hi MasterBuilder

I have used PCSCHEMATIC Automation for many years but now using IGE+XAO SEE electrical Advanced for about the last 18 months.

I really hope that you do not choose IGE+XAO SEE electrical I can with 99% certainty tell you that you will regret it. There are many things where you will sit and think about why it is made ??in this strange way. I would go so far as to say that one should take their 4-5 day course in order to use the program. But there is also almost every day an database error. And error there that is on the screen is not that is is printig out !!!! and a 3 look then i make a PDF file with the PDF module  :o

Whereas PCSCHEMATIC Automation just works! Especially if you are a windows user. Yes this program behave like most other window applications.  :clap: No need to read the manuel first is it that simple to use.
Support is really good.  :-+ It is a Danish company so check if they have the phone open that suits you where you live.
http://www.pcschematic.com/en/download-menu/automation/download-now.htm for a 40 parts demo

http://www.pcschematic.com/en/electrical-cad-design-drawing-software/video/electrical-cad-motor-control-video/MotorControl_6_TermCables/MotorControl_TermCables6.htm for demo for "generating terminal and wiring lists."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:51:25 pm »
Over here Eplan seems to be the standard. I have seen a short demo and it seems to work well but every piece of software takes time to get used to.

Yes, Eplan (or Autocad electrical) seems to be a kind of standard in some companies here as well. I will be requesting a demonstration of this software.

I think Eplan is very "German" in approach. Autocad Electrical in contrast is very "American" in it way of doing things. I think Eplan is overly complicated but Autocad Electrical is overly simplified. Neither is best for my purposes but if I had to choose between the two I would go for Eplan.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:05 pm »
Hi MasterBuilder

I have used PCSCHEMATIC Automation for many years but now using IGE+XAO SEE electrical Advanced for about the last 18 months.

I really hope that you do not choose IGE+XAO SEE electrical I can with 99% certainty tell you that you will regret it. There are many things where you will sit and think about why it is made ??in this strange way. I would go so far as to say that one should take their 4-5 day course in order to use the program. But there is also almost every day an database error. And error there that is on the screen is not that is is printig out !!!! and a 3 look then i make a PDF file with the PDF module  :o

Whereas PCSCHEMATIC Automation just works! Especially if you are a windows user. Yes this program behave like most other window applications.  :clap: No need to read the manuel first is it that simple to use.
Support is really good.  :-+ It is a Danish company so check if they have the phone open that suits you where you live.
http://www.pcschematic.com/en/download-menu/automation/download-now.htm for a 40 parts demo

http://www.pcschematic.com/en/electrical-cad-design-drawing-software/video/electrical-cad-motor-control-video/MotorControl_6_TermCables/MotorControl_TermCables6.htm for demo for "generating terminal and wiring lists."

Interesting comment bloch, PC schematic looks a bit lightweight to me, I must evaluate it again. I found IGE+XAO electrical had the fewest bugs and was the fastest to use for me.

This is a difficult type of software to choose and evaluate, lots of very different software available and demo versions are difficult to obtain.

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:19:55 pm »
IGE+XAO electrical

1. Try move a component there is connected.
 Up and down is ok
 But left and right the component is now disconnected ! if the was wire numbers on they are now gone !

2.  Try add wire connection to an already connected wire with wire numbers.   
The old number is now gone !! So if adding to an old drawing then better remember the wire number :o

3. Draw cables more than one time.
I have need for draw cables  more than one time ( multicore 30 cores)
That is not allowed  :palm:

want more examples ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf