Author Topic: Optimizing SMT footprints (0603 and 0402) for hand soldering  (Read 10317 times)

Offline kaeveeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am working on a project where I need to use 0603(1608 Metric) and 0402(1005 Metric) due to space constraints. My hands are not as steady as I want them to be. I have bought a stereo zoom microscope and a good soldering station. I have 0.020" solder wire and 0.010" is on the way.

If I increase the size of toe in footprints to give me more room, will it help?

Venkat

Offline zeqing

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Optimizing SMT footprints (0603 and 0402) for hand soldering
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:09:54 am »
for 0603 componnents, the pads need to be 0408 at least for soldering, if you made it 0603, you will  |O

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »
For hand soldering, instead of changing the width of the pads, make them a little longer, that way they will still self center in one orientation, though you may need to nudge it to be centered in the other. you generally dont need much of an extension for 0603, but for 0402, yeah i can understand that for hand soldering.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:49:04 am »
Surely it would require alcohol, not caffeine?!

(Trivia: alcohol is a performance-enhancing drug in professional shooting.  Reduces the shakes!)

(My personal experience with respect to soldering seems to be about balanced by the loss of concentration, so meh.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline BigBoss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:12:03 am »
I always find 0402 and 0603 SMD components are too small for ordinary and not space constrained projects.They are exaggerated small.
0805 even 1206 components are very well for hand soldering.If the frequency is not too high ( 1GHz and beyond ) there is no harm to use 0805 components.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:37:11 am »

In my experience, no. I use the regular footprints, with stereo microscope (x10), and the same soldering method as 0805 etc. On resistors and caps the tinning extends around the end, so it is sufficient to put the iron tip against the end.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:04 am »
Surely it would require alcohol, not caffeine?!

(Trivia: alcohol is a performance-enhancing drug in professional shooting.  Reduces the shakes!)

(My personal experience with respect to soldering seems to be about balanced by the loss of concentration, so meh.)

Tim

https://xkcd.com/323/

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:56:13 am »
 :-DD

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:57:38 am »
^I have a headache just looking at that. I admire your abilities.

The most important thing for hand-soldering is to leave yourself space between the components. The size of the pad doesn't matter too much if you use flux; touching the lead/end-cap will transfer enough heat to reflow the joint. I suppose the exception is where you have thermally relieved pads and are struggling to heat up the pad without direct contact.

Making the pads bigger does guarantee you don't accidentally pack these things too close together (for hand assembly), though. AND it can allow you to substitute the next larger package size on a prototype, if you happen to have a mix of resistor sizes.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 07:20:45 am »
For the small stuff, I prefer a solder paste syringe and hot air. It is easy and does not need super precise coordination. Its also easier on heat sensitive parts like ceramic caps. Those things can crack internally when an iron heats it up in a few milliseconds.

For re-work, I have learned to solder just about anything with an iron, but still tend to favor hot air when I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 08:37:32 am »
Flux and hotair still works wonders for reflow, but sometimes the board can be a right pain to heat up enough to melt all the pins.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 07:12:48 pm »
if you're serious about assembling that kind of stuff, treat yourself with reflow oven (I use cheap-ass T-962 with some modifications and community firmware) and a good vacuum pump-powered pick up tool with tips for very small parts (I've bought one from Zephyrtronics with full set of fine tips for small SMD parts, yes it's pricey but now I can do even 0201! Good luck trying to solder them manually - I can hardly even see these things!). With these tools at my disposal (and a cheap stereo microscope from AmScope) assembling boards with a lot of small parts is a breeze.

P.S. I'm not affiliated with either of those companies - I just use their stuff and I like it.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:10:42 pm »
This is my next project. Full of 0201 passive, 0.4mm BGA chips as well as 0.5mm BGA chips.
I'm looking to buy a PnP machine. I bet I will swear if I have to hand solder these.

Cool, I extend the QFN thermal pad to peek out so that you can heat it up with an iron and remove it easier.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 11:05:21 pm »
if you're serious about assembling that kind of stuff, treat yourself with reflow oven (I use cheap-ass T-962 with some modifications and community firmware)

Wow, $200 from Amazon. Replacement firmware discussion here.

Will this thing burn my house down?

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 09:46:58 pm »
Wow, $200 from Amazon. Replacement firmware discussion here.
They have a range of ovens for different board dimensions. I mostly do small boards, so the smallest is good enough for me. Bigger ovens naturally are more expensive, but they share same controller.
Here is a YT video which demonstrates all upgrades if you're more of a visual type of person (it's not my video, I've used it as a reference when I was upgrading my oven):

Will this thing burn my house down?
It didn't burn mine :) That said, I wouldn't use it as a production oven, but for prototypes it's more than good enough (if oven have enough time to cool down between reflows - there should be no problems). One thing - during cool down stage of reflow it blows hot air outside, so make sure there is no easily combustible materials (like paper) nearby. My oven stands on a solid-wood table, and the table gets barely warm by the time reflow profile is completed. Even paper probably won't start burning as the air it cools down pretty quickly - but better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:51:23 pm by asmi »

Offline mojo3120

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:24 pm »
Flux and hotair still works wonders for reflow, but sometimes the board can be a right pain to heat up enough to melt all the pins.

agreed....don't bother hand soldering SMD unless you've absolutely got no other choice. Just pick up a cheap air rework machine and don't look back.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
I am working on a project where I need to use 0603(1608 Metric) and 0402(1005 Metric) due to space constraints. My hands are not as steady as I want them to be. I have bought a stereo zoom microscope and a good soldering station. I have 0.020" solder wire and 0.010" is on the way.

Venkat
Yep.
Altium Designer has three footprint sizes for each SMD passive size. For hand soldering I use the Low Density footprints.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 10:48:42 pm »
Hot air or oven if you have troubles with shaking hands.

I personally find 0603 perfectly fine with a complete standard solder iron.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf