Author Topic: PCAD 2006 License in 2018????.......  (Read 8404 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
PCAD 2006 License in 2018????.......
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:02:36 pm »
The Question Is:
...Is there any way to still get a license to use PCAD 2006 (last released version) to do commercial jobs? 

Before you guys flame me too hard, it's a pretty common occurrence for people around here to say that Protel99 is still a perfectly viable program for 90% of the jobs out there.  That's about my only defense.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: PCAD 2006 License in 2018????.......
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:36:17 pm »
I have a keyword search to check Ebay for people selling licenses but it never comes up.

Anyone want to sell/give me their old PCAD 2006 license?  I'll trade an old analog oscilloscope :)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:53:23 pm »
I still use PCAD2006. When they retired it & tried to sell me AD, I just asked to pay for an upgrade to the full version ( mine was the lower cost component/layer limited version) - they refused to sell it so I felt no guilt finding a full license key online somewhere.
There is no activation or dongle. Just sayin'...

I believe AD will open PCAD2006 files, and I think also CS. Don't know if it will save it though.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:55:16 pm »
BTW there is a PCAD mailing list but very low traffic these days
PCAD-EDA@yahoogroups.com

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:16:26 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I saw in other posts you were a PCAD user.  Thanks for the link to the "support group".  :)

I've tried the PCAD -> Altium Designer converter tools.  That's unfortunately not a very good solution since it's not 100%.  There are always problems with things, especially library stuff, not converting exactly right and that's not good for these old complex designs.

I guess I'm officially one of those guys pining over "the good old days" of ancient software.  Now I just need a lawn to tell people to get off of.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:18:17 pm »
Anyone want to sell/give me their old PCAD 2006 license?  I'll trade an old analog oscilloscope :)

This works in EU, not in US. US laws allow the software vendor to limit you from transferring a license without their consent in EULA.
EU laws specifically allow you to treat software license as other private property that you have freedom to transfer at will.

Is this still true?  I know EULAs have been contested in courts recently and I thought in at least some cases they were unenforceable.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:01 pm »
The Question Is:
...Is there any way to still get a license to use PCAD 2006 (last released version) to do commercial jobs? 

Before you guys flame me too hard, it's a pretty common occurrence for people around here to say that Protel99 is still a perfectly viable program for 90% of the jobs out there.  That's about my only defense.

2008 I had a disussion with them (at that time still PCAD2002 using) and told them that I will only do some kind of update to AD if I also receive a full PCAD2006 (which was out of support at this time) becaus a customer needs support with PCAD2006... . Since then using most of the time PCAD2006.

I also had a long discussion with them in 2004 about selling PCAD DOS8.5 to a customer. Argument was: I don`t use it anymore, Customer needs help for very old designs and could me a potential customer of AD in the future if Altium acts... empathicaly. Finaly they agreed that I may sell my old, no longer used PCAD 8.5 legaly as long as customer receives all disks and dongles.

So - I would ask them if you own a AD-licence (maincustomer needs support on old design...)

At least here in AT/DE they have been cooperative.

btw: PCAD2006 is 12 years out of service now, so... who cares? Do you realy expect that someone gets crazy because of such an old SW if you have a... lets say non-regulary bought license?

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 12:46:04 am »
btw: PCAD2006 is 12 years out of service now, so... who cares? Do you really expect that someone gets crazy because of such an old SW if you have a... lets say non-regularly bought license?

I agree.  I would not have a problem if someone sold/gave/shared a legit license.  I'd sleep ok with that. 

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 01:31:09 am »
One more bump attempt and I'll let this go....

And thanks for the offer of the install files.  I actually have those already, just not a license which in this case is sort of important.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 03:46:11 am »
Thanks for all the great feedback guys.  I appreciate all the various offers. 
A friend came through and got me a legit license key so I'm all set now.

One fun fact:
Digikey's "Ultra Librarian" actually support PCAD for a lot of parts!!

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 02:36:46 am »

This works in EU, not in US. US laws allow the software vendor to limit you from transferring a license without their consent in EULA.
EU laws specifically allow you to treat software license as other private property that you have freedom to transfer at will.

No. The law is essentially the same in the US and EU. If the software license is indefinite, it's transferable, if it's not indefinite, the publisher may restrict transfer.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 10:01:43 pm »
Thanks for all the great feedback guys.  I appreciate all the various offers. 
A friend came through and got me a legit license key so I'm all set now.

Sounds like you are good to go, and if you are doing small changes to existing, proven designs, that's likely to be the lowest risk pathway.

Longer term, KiCad can import P-CAD ASCII files, so you could look into that ?  It appears to work quite well.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 08:19:05 am »

Longer term, KiCad can import P-CAD ASCII files, so you could look into that ?  It appears to work quite well.

the PCAD2006 > KiCAD Importer worked great with Kicad 4.0.3, Alexander did a great job.

I don`t know if this konverter is still working in KiCad 5.x, would be nice to read something about here in this thread?

Offline Yashu

• Yashu Systems
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 11:40:35 pm »
Hi Smokey.

Can you provide the PCAD 2006 install files?

I am also old school and still use PCAD 2002. It's solid.

Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf