Author Topic: PCB History  (Read 3057 times)

Offline SimonRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
PCB History
« on: May 23, 2017, 06:58:10 pm »
Found this video of the Tektronix PCB process from 1969. I thought about posting in general chat but I think its better here. Even for its age its still quite educational. It's amazing how much has changed, but its equally amazing how much is still the same.

The following users thanked this post: dekra54, juan_ee

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: PCB History
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:02 pm »
Not only informative; but relaxing to watch.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:26 am »
I remember doing that in the early 80s. We used to layout boards with tape and stencils on a light table, usually at 4X. When that was done, run a brown line to proof against the schematic. When it checked out, took the sheets to a photo lab to get reduced to 1:1. Then took the film to the board house to be made. At that time, things were just starting to change. The company I worked for had just bought it's first cad system, I think I did one of the last boards with tape. The board house had just started digitizing the film. That's when rip-up really meant rip-up.

Offline SimonRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:21:11 am »
Same for me when I first started in industry in 1988, I just missed the missed the tape layout 4x method, although I did have to send some existing taped layouts for manufacture.
My company had just installed some very expensive workstation based CAD systems.
As an electronics engineer I had access to the schematic capture system but the drawing office was in charge board layout and component entry. I didn't have to generate gerbers but did have to sign off the component, the board layouts and then I had to physically sign the gerber plots themselves when the came back from the printers.

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:53:46 pm »
Not only informative; but relaxing to watch.
Relaxing? I'm getting a headache just thinking about doing it that way :)

Offline pepelevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:14 pm »
This is a really great video.
Some times you can feel a bit more confident in things when you see the experts learning processes for the first time too.

Offline Jeffpcb

• !
    • Shenzhen Vip Circuit Co.,Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:52:49 am »
Nice video!
learn much from it!thanks!
I am a Sales engineer with professional experience from Vip Circuit-Leading PCB manufacturer,meeting your any kinds of PCBs requirements,exceed your expectation!
Jeff@vipcircuit.com

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:23:59 am »
Appeared here at least once before: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/pcb-manufacture-back-in-the-day-how-expensive-was-it/msg612641/#msg612641   (See: First link therin)

Maybe this sort of thing should be indexed for easy reference?

John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf