Author Topic: PCB Image -> Voronoi gcode  (Read 2686 times)

Offline PugbuttTopic starter

• Contributor
PCB Image -> Voronoi gcode
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:24:52 pm »
Hi Everybody.

I just put a new project on GitHub that may be useful.  It's a JavaScript app that processes a PCB artwork, does a Voronoi tesselate, then outputs G-code for a laser etcher or the like.

I'm definitely not the first to do this, but this one lets you define signal traces that are to stay skinny, plus runs in your browser without any other dependencies.

https://github.com/caiannello/jsVoronoiPCB

Cheers,
Craig

The following users thanked this post: matseng

• Contributor
Re: PCB Image -> Voronoi gcode
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:30:45 am »
One can spray paint a piece of copper-clad, blast it with a $200 laser engraver from China, and etch. 

It's no OSH park, but not bad for 20 minute turnaround.

The following users thanked this post: dcarr

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:49 pm »
Voronoi  algorithm is a great way to utilise available copper in a high current  design.

I am presently lookng at a multilayer approach to implementing a power distribution board ( fuses  and relays ) in an automotive application.

The approach is to use Altium as primary design tool and follow that with a post processing through Topor to implement Voronoi like polygons in order to enhance the copper usage.

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 02:56:58 am »
Nice, thank you. It also saves on etching wastes.  ;) I've often used flood filled ground and power planes for reduction in etching wastes and milling time.

If you are thinking of extensions, I can see the use for setting the minimum gap spacing around specific traces for handling high and low voltages on the same PCB. I can also see the need for no trace void areas for keeping input and output voltages isolated as is done for PCBs used in AC line powered SMPS and isolated SMPS. No trace void zones likely being needed by more people. Not many hobbyists play with very high voltages on PCBs.

Offline a59d1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 09:08:45 am »
Neat project. Why did you pick Javascript in particular?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 01:02:17 am »
Neat project. Why did you pick Javascript in particular?

Sorry for the very late reply. I picked Javascript because I thought that would be the most accessible form for many different platforms and OS's.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf