Author Topic: PCB Manufacturing Help Needed  (Read 2869 times)

Offline chris2006Topic starter

• Contributor
PCB Manufacturing Help Needed
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:15 am »
Hi All

I have sent gerber files to a company to manufacture PCBs and they have come back with this

" Our engineer checked your gerber file. And, it's a working gerber.
But, we also need your original gerber file for production "

should the working gerber be all they need or can I convert these into manufacturing files ?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: PCB Manufacturing Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:31:14 am »
The question doesnt really make sense with the limited context,

Are you sure they are not asking about a layer you have forgotten to add?

In general the gerber files you provide is what you want made and is the "Production Gerbers"

As they are asking for gerbers it also sounds like they are not asking for the original design files, but for a clarification, or something that was not included. e.g. providing 2 silkscreen layers, but 1 copper layer may confuse a board house even if its a single sided PCB

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:20 am »
Hi

Thanks for the reply

I modified the original gerber to remove the some of the silk screen, could this be causing the problem ?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:49:47 am »
I would say yes, I do not know how you modified it, but it may have changed that one file to not be supported by there software.

Can you edit it in the design files, and re-export it

If not, can you give them the original and ask to edit it to what you desire? (There tools allow them to edit your files, you may even be able to ask for an edited copy back)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:05:36 pm »
Here's what I have These are in .txt all of them.

• 2rl

bl

bo

bs

drl

ko

ko2

tl

to

ts

Viewmate deluxe was used to import, remove a bit of text from the silk screen and saved again.

in altium & viewmate opens the files and you can see everything layers etc fine but what is the "original file" they're after? because all i have is the files listed above.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »
Again, can you not edit the silkscreen in your cad package, If your using a cheap pcb fab, a number of them use an older non genuine copy of software that has compatibility bugs that cad manufacturers have worked around on export. while it may show fine for you, it may be garbled on the software they use for internal production.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:28:26 pm »
I'm getting in touch to ask them what software they're using as it could be that reason or they just don't understand that 
the "b" is bottom, "t" is top; "o" is overlay, "s" is soldermask, "l" is copper layer, "ko" are keepout, the drl/2rl are likely NC drill files ("excellon")

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:31:37 pm »
You would make an excellent politician, So many questions dodged for an X/Y issue.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:45:38 pm »
I'm sorry I didn't mean to avoid answering any questions, i'm just a bit clueless. The files were made by a third party who i no longer have dealings with and I'm a bit over my head.

When you say edit silkscreen do you mean remove one of the layers which you said might be confusing them?

I appreciate the help a lot.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 12:50:02 pm »
That silkscreen layer you edited may have added data that is not supported by there software, or may have been flagged simply because it was different from the others,

When i say they can edit it, I mean they can tweak your silkscreen if that is the issue, they already do it to add things like an identifier to your board. e.g. remove that bit of text

(my spidey senses tells me this is a creators name or a copy-write, but I'll overlook that for now)

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:07 pm »
Nothing like that, totally above board but my company name was on it and as I'm sending to china I wanted to keep it low key.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:12:40 pm »
You explanation makes sense especially if I edited using the newest software. I will find out what software they use and if not i'll just have to hope the unedited gerber files are correct.

Offline vipcircuit.com

• !
    • VipCircuit
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 08:30:42 am »
Hi, factory usually needs the original gerber files to do compensation and optimization,such as your original design line is 6mil, if the file you sent to supplier is 6.6mil, it means is a working gerber( used for production),suppliers will be confused,because they don't know what steps and changes have been edited. Every manufacturer's engineering is different,so must use original gerber( design gerber) to do.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:33:30 am by vipcircuit.com »
Professional PCB/PCBA manufacturer-www.vipcircuit.com.
High quality and reasonable price.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 01:43:09 pm »
Just give them the unedited files and tell them what your intent was. They have the ability to edit gerbers on their own.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf