Author Topic: pcb-rnd & cschem  (Read 2058 times)

Offline ScribblesOnNapkinsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
pcb-rnd & cschem
« on: December 14, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »
Hi I am officially requesting a child board in "General PCB/EDA/CAD Discussions"  for pcb-rnd and it's sister project cschem (EDA).

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: pcb-rnd & cschem
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:13 pm »
Why don't you set up your own forum? Then you won't need to go spamming other unrelated forums all the time.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:10:38 am »
Well, the mods don't read every post so this probably isn't the best way to ask.  I believe these are all mods.  You might try a PM.
EEVblog
gniff
Simon

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 06:52:13 pm »
Hi I am officially requesting a child board in "General PCB/EDA/CAD Discussions"  for pcb-rnd and it's sister project cschem (EDA).

What's wrong with using the gEDA child board, as you have done in the past? I understand that pcb-rnd is a branch of gEDA. And the gEDA board is the one with the smallest number of posts in the PCB/CAD section, so I'm not sure why another board would need to be spun off?

Offline ScribblesOnNapkinsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 07:33:09 am »
hermit thanks.

ebastler At this point over 2/3 of our code is different from the mainline of pcb and we are starting our own tool to replace geda. At the start of that process we most likely won't be compatible with gEDA in terms of schematic or symbol format. Rather than spam their communications channels with our stuff we want to do have our own space.

donotdespisethesnake I have no idea what your problem is.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:42:11 am »
Hmm... Looking at the response times in this thread (8 days for a first response, and then another 10 days before the OP returned), I am not sure how vibrant that pcb-rnd child board would be. ::)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:01:43 am »
hermit thanks.

ebastler At this point over 2/3 of our code is different from the mainline of pcb and we are starting our own tool to replace geda. At the start of that process we most likely won't be compatible with gEDA in terms of schematic or symbol format. Rather than spam their communications channels with our stuff we want to do have our own space.
If you are going to create your own schematics software then please don't make the mistake by making a symbol the center of a component! That is completely wrong. What would be ideal is to have the components in a database (sqlite for example) and each component record connects a symbol with a footprint, a value, manufacturer part number, manufacturer, etc. Then that component record can easely be extended to have an internal part number, order code, etc. Look for Orcad Capture CIS videos for further details. IMHO one of the biggest problems with the low end CAD packages is that you have to create a bill-of-materials by hand (which is prone to errors) because the component management system has been setup wrong. If you have the components in a database it is very easy to create a BOM with the right part number, order codes with one mouse click.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:03:17 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf