Author Topic: Software for 3D PCB model  (Read 7820 times)

Offline floobydustTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Software for 3D PCB model
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:00:38 pm »
I need to creat/edit some PCB 3D models.

What do people recommend for free software so I can do this.

I tried OnShape and it's a just awful for me. I find the user interface is bizarre, I couldn't understand their metaphors/nouns/verbs/objects to figure how to draw basic dimensioned shapes  |O
Other software like Blender looks to be for animation and arty stuff.

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
Re: Software for 3D PCB model
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:03:02 pm »

Offline racemaniac

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »
(e) Seems like DipTrace and KICAD also had some claims about supporting 3D modeling / viewing?
yup, kicad also can give you a nice 3D preview of the pcb you made with it.
i however don't know if you can easily save that 3D model to then edit it with 3D modeling software

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:56:17 am »
DipTrace also supports 3D modeling nicely. I use it to model not only my PCB but how well it fits inside a case and the panel cutouts, etc.

Here's a board I'm currently working on:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Mattylad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:57 am »
You can get a lot of free 3D models for components from 3dcontentcentral - its mainly a SolidWorks user upload\sharing site but there are a lot of components on it.
Matty
CID+

Offline ohdsp

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:50:01 pm »
KiCad can create 3D PCB outputs. But you need the component footprints loaded with 3d models in Pcbnew. Other people have pointed to where you can find models. Sometimes you have to tweak the offet/scale settings to make them fit.

To create 3D models of components for use in KiCad I've been playing with Wings 3D. It does allow export of a few formats so it may have other uses:

http://www.wings3d.com/?page_id=84

Normally I don't get on with 3D CAD but have managed to use Wings 3D quite successfully! It looks quite primitive but once you work out how everything is done through the right-click menu it's actually quite easy to use.
Check out the Open Hardware DSP Platform:
http://www.ohdsp.org
http://github.com/ohdsp

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:59:52 pm »
KiCad can create 3D PCB outputs. But you need the component footprints loaded with 3d models in Pcbnew. Other people have pointed to where you can find models. Sometimes you have to tweak the offet/scale settings to make them fit.

To create 3D models of components for use in KiCad I've been playing with Wings 3D. It does allow export of a few formats so it may have other uses:

http://www.wings3d.com/?page_id=84

Normally I don't get on with 3D CAD but have managed to use Wings 3D quite successfully! It looks quite primitive but once you work out how everything is done through the right-click menu it's actually quite easy to use.

I've also had good luck with SketchUp for creating component models (everything from a particular QFN package to a Sharp Memory LCD to flat flex cables). I assume KiCad can use WRL files? There are plenty of tools to convert from SketchUp's native Collada DAE export to WRL, including MeshLab and FreeCAD.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 09:49:13 am »
Quote from: timb on Today at 00:59:52
... I assume KiCad can use WRL files?...

It uses WRL files.

Offline ElectronicCat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 01:10:53 am »
I used to use Eagle/Sketchup with eagleUp (See https://eagleup.wordpress.com/installation-and-setup/) however it no longer seems to be supported nor is it particularly easy to use. It works for the PCB layout and most basic components, but you do often have to place components that it couldn't recognise manually, although the '3D warehouse' in sketchup usually has the part I want or something that looks the same 90% of the time.

Offline paulcav

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:42 pm »

Offline richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:50 am »
I am using diptrace to prepare a 3D PCB model. I am planning to do same with Eagle CAD. Thanks paulcav.

Offline S13

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 12:07:10 pm »
You can get a lot of free 3D models for components from 3dcontentcentral - its mainly a SolidWorks user upload\sharing site but there are a lot of components on it.

Yes, 3dcontentcentral has a huge database of existing 3d models, which includes many 3d parts, even some rare to find connectors for example. Its a great site, where everyone can share their own created 3d models.

By using 3dcontentcentral and the (very) basic 3d modelling options within Altium Designer i have been able to avoid the need to use external software to create my own models. At least up until now... A simple example:

The advanced 3d models shown were mostly downloaded from 3dcontentcentral and the simple 3d models such as the pot and heatsink were created from within Altium Designer.

But because i have some experience with Sketchup, it would be interesting to learn how to use sketchup to create/edit existing models and then export them to altium. Altium by itself is just way to limited when it comes to creating rounded shapes and non rectangular shapes. 

I think the biggest problem with all these 3d tools is that there are just way to many 3d file extensions out there. That makes all of the tools very incompatible with each other. The same of course goes for pcb/schematic file extensions, but that is another story.

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 12:05:33 am »
Most EDA software can produce 3D models, several examples at http://kicad-pcb.org/made-with-kicad/.

There is work being done on a photo-realistic renderer, not sure if this is in the nightlies yet.

Work is being done on STEP file format for 3D models,  this is in the nightlies now if I recall.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf